Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • One for coastal sailors/boaters – is this road plan wrong?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m doing my SBDA2 with ICC paper included, so I have to know the basics of markers and buoys (even though I’m never going to need it). Anyhow, I believe I’ve got my head around most of it, but when trying to understand this example Rolling Road Plan slide, the plan appears to be written wrong. Am I right that it’s written wrong?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Can’t read the text on the right hand side, and can only just see what the buoys are, but the plan on the left looks about right to get you to somewhere left of the top of the island. Don’t know where the speed limit is indicated.

Not happy about treating the sea as a road either, fundamentally misleading, but that’s a different story.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Can’t quite make out the detail on the ‘chart’ but I wonder if your first instructon should refer to the West Cardinal at the southern end of the estuary.

(Easter Egg and Wasp Waisted) for assistance in poor visibility (or poor resolution in this case) – Cardinal top mark arrows point to the black stripes.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I think they’ve got east and west mixed up but hard to read….

TomB

Looks like east and west cardinals are the wrong way round on the ‘rolling road plan’ (never heard of that, used to teach ICC/level 2 powerboat but more than 12 years ago…..)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

your first instructon should refer to the West Cardinal at the southern end of the estuary.

That’s what I thought, having deduced that the plan must be heading north from bottom of page upwards, so also the last instruction should be for an East Cardinal on Port Side? (not a west cardinal, as it states).

Nothing like people giving you stuff to pre learn for a course and tests and bits of it turn out to be wrong, so you waste a load of time faffing about trying to understand why it doesn’t add up, doubting yourself and re-reading it all. buggers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tom, it’s from British Water Ski and Wakeboard, possibly the same as you taught although the bulk of the exam papers and test are for ski boat driving, but you also do a basic ICC paper as well

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The instructions seem to have east and west cardinal marks mixed up (East points to the Ends).

Never heard of a rolling road plan either.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cheers Mike (and tinas), I can move onto tides and charts now.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

bits of it turn out to be wrong

Yep – but you’ll remember cardinals now!

cbike
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cardinal_Marks.gif

How does linking work now?   I give up.

CountZero

Not happy about treating the sea as a road either, fundamentally misleading

Isn’t ‘roads’ a nautical term as well? I seem to recall seeing the term used in that context, possibly when reading Swallows And Amazons, or something similar.

Yeah, Roadstead, or roads, a body of safe water for anchorage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadstead

bikebouy
    Free Member

Carrick Roads = that big bit of safe anchoring just offshore from Falmouth.

Road terms are easy to use as most folks drive some sort of vehicle, I’ve heard it used plenty of times but not really in a formal manner.. more loose terminology.

I too thought the Cardinals were the wrong way around.

Still, isn’t that part of the critical analysis?

Been years since my ticket ran out..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Carrick Roads = that big bit of safe anchoring just offshore from Falmouth.

Road terms are easy to use as most folks drive some sort of vehicle, I’ve heard it used plenty of times but not really in a formal manner.. more loose terminology.

Different meaning, I think that comes from rode, i.e. the rope/chain attaching the boat to it’s anchor. So (insert name of harbour here) roads, is just an archaic name for a safe place to anchor, nothing to do with shipping lanes.

I always assumed “drive a boat” was a combination of inexperienced users using the wrong word and as a sort of derogatory statement that driving a boat (pointing it in a vague direction with no real idea) is not the same as piloting a boat (knowing what your doing and having read the pilotage guide and not ending up on the sandbank or crashing into someone).

cbike
    Free Member

The COLREGS are often referred to as the rules of the road.

“Driving the boat” can apply, especially in high performance sailing.  You are more likely to “Take the Helm” while cruising.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed.

But happy to be pulled up on my comment.

🤣

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘One for coastal sailors/boaters – is this road plan wrong?’ is closed to new replies.