Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for Binners
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

This came up on a feed today. If you like Thea you make like these two, only heard the first album before but very impressed by the slide tones on this.

binners

Cheers fella! I’m liking that a lot! I’ll check out there other stuff. There’s a touch of the First Aid Kit about them too. Never a bad thing. Just downloaded the latest album. I’ll give it a listen while i’m Cooking later. Thanks

We went to see Thea last Saturday night. She was excellent, as always. She has one of those voices where listening to the recorded stuff just doesn’t do it justice

Duh this album out last week as well, which is brilliant, in a similar style

CountZero

Larkin Poe I’ve heard of, but not heard anything of, Miranda Lee Richards, I’ve got that very album. I’ll check Larkin out, looks interesting.
    Missed Thea this time around, I don’t think she did any gigs local to me, plus it’s tricky to get to gigs now, I work shifts, alternating weeks I don’t finish until 7pm, which is when most venues open their doors, and I’d be looking at roughly an hour’s drive at least just to get to somewhere near a venue. Which is a pain.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Glad you liked it. Great song and an awesomely awesome performance. Have tickets for Thea at the Anvil tomorrow. Fingers crossed to get there.

CountZero

Just watched the Larkin Poe video, swipe me! I loved that! Great song, about a rarely recognised subject, he brunette has a really powerful voice, and I love the blonde’s slide playing. I’ve now got to check out more of their recordings, very much my kind of thing, thanks for posting that up.
    Speaking of First Aid Kit, either of you familiar with The Staves? They’ve just toured with FAK, and they have similar qualities, three sisters, with outstanding harmonies. They’ve just released their first Christmas song, suitably down-beat, my favourite kind of Christmas song…

ian-r

Saw Larkin Poe supporting Elvis Costello. Really good live they can both sing a bit.

binners

Countzero- The Staves did a live set on the RadMac Christmas Party this afternoon on 6 Music. They were great! Worth catching up on iPlayer

Someone else I’ll have to listen to more of.

And while we’re on to rather lovely downbeat Christmas songs…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

CountZero

Just been watching some Larkin Poe videos, I’m now completely smitten! Bloody heck they’re good!
    From Atlanta, so they may well know these two, who I’ve seen a whole bunch of times over the years, on one occasion in London they mentioned a special guest, then about halfway through the set, Joan Baez came on and did five songs with them.
    The Indigo Girls

I’d forgotten The Staves were on RadMac, I caught the very end of the show, so I’ll catch up on the Sounds app. They’re very funny, and rather potty-mouthed live.

binners

Got the Larkin Poe album on now. Loving the slide guitar! It’s gotva resounding thumbs up from Mrs Binners

Listening to slide guitar like this reminds me of my mates dad. He was always in bands playing steel guitar like that. He’d always be immaculately turned out in a sharp suit with cowboy boots and a bootlace tie. He was like a better dressed Keef! Properly lived it!! RIP Roley.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Joan BAez.
    Thea has history there’s with her Thea and the Bruce. From an old article: https://writewyattuk.com/2016/03/10/taking-the-low-road-to-success-the-thea-gilmore-interview/

If John Kerrey had won she’d have been singing at the celebration party. It went a bit quiet. Her mates include Gaimann and Springsteen. She’s cool by me…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

sbob
    Free Member

If you like Thea you make like these two

There were four on stage you misandrist.

Big up to Frankie Boyle guesting on bass.

nickc

Thanks Eddie, that’s a great find, really liked that!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for Binners’ is closed to new replies.