Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • on street marketing (eg sandwich boards) – laws/restrictions?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

anyone know what restrictions are there for being on the street with a sign or sandwich board in a uk city?

not directly selling anything to people, but promoting a service.

🙂

IHN

If you’re stood there with it, you can basically do what you like (think of the lucky sods who get to stand with ‘Golf Sale’ signs)

If you want to leave it in place on its own it’s a bit more tricky.

tails
    Free Member

Just stick one up and see what happens. Worst case scenario someone nicks it or the council say can you take it down.

maccruiskeen

If you’re stood there with it, you can basically do what you like

some people take the put-sign-on-bike then lock bike to a lamppost approach too.

maccruiskeen

not directly selling anything to people, but promoting a service.

tupenny uprights?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

ha, nope!

wallop

What would the law state when it comes to me kicking over a sandwich board which gets put in the middle of a cycle lane – every day?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’d do the same!

(we’d not be leaving them un-manned, so to speak)

maccruiskeen

ha, nope!

😳

I’m embarrassed I offered now. Perhaps not such a hungry monkey after all

wwaswas

wallop – go in store, say you’ve hit their sign and fallen off and that they can expect to be contacted by a firm of personal injury lawyers if it’s ever placed in the cycle lane again.

ski
    Free Member

Big friendly dog, bowl of water and a bowl of food, latched to a lampost, with a body jacket on with big sign on?

‘Free fuss welcome’

Then spray stencil some dog paws onto the street leading to your dog 😉

What could go wrong? 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

This is the law as it stands…

The law

IMO if you put an A-board out on the public pavement you deserve the same treatment as the scrotes who litter, chuck down their used chewing gum, or allow their dog to foul the pavement.

project
    Free Member

local coucils can allow you a permit, but youll need public liability just incase a partial sighted person falls over it, you can also be charged with obstruction of the highway, and the a board can be seized by the council.

Been there and it does bring in trade, but there are aslo miserable people who deliberately knock them over, mine was alwys getting knocked.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The same miserable people who want their right to move freely on an unobstructed pavement…

http://www.chichester.co.uk/community/readers-letters/dreaded-a-boards-out-1-4162285

These days I thought that Pblic Liability Insurance was hard to find for A-boards.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

IMO if you put an A-board out on the public pavement you deserve the same treatment as the scrotes who litter, chuck down their used chewing gum, or allow their dog to foul the pavement.

and if you read the thread you’ll see that i’m not intending on just leaving an A-board on the street…

(we’d not be leaving them un-manned, so to speak)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

So you won’t be nipping away for a ‘natural break’? You or a member of staff will be there throughout the trading day?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep.

sandwich board (to me at least) means one of those boards you wear as you walk around. the whole aim of the campaign is to talk to people, not to leave it laying around.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Perhaps you should investigate other ways of contacting potential clients as I for one would avoid a personal approach on the street. And don’t get me started on those effin’ chuggers…

wwaswas

investigate other ways of contacting potential clients as I for one would avoid a personal approach on the street

I accepted a can of Coke Zero from the lady offering free ones in Brighton yesterday.

I think it depends what message you’re trying to get across as to the technique you use.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I think it depends what message you’re trying to get across as to the technique you use.

exactly.

of course, ohnohesback has been listening in to our meeting this morning… 🙄

sobriety
    Free Member

With a name like Hungry monkey, you should be giving out bananas and peanuts. Well, that or throwing shit at people!

konabunny
    Free Member

What would the law state when it comes to me kicking over a sandwich board which gets put in the middle of a cycle lane – every day?

Someone doesn’t know what the difference between a sandwich board and an A-frame is…

drlex
    Free Member

What would the law state when it comes to me kicking over a sandwich board which gets put in the
    middle of a cycle lane – every day?

Can’t answer that, but having stopped thrice to relocate a sign from a narrow shared path into the perimeter hedge, it no longer returns. Three times a charm, obviously…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘on street marketing (eg sandwich boards) – laws/restrictions?’ is closed to new replies.