Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Olympics : Empty seats
  • solman
    Free Member

Have we done this yet? Link

My wife is particularly gutted and angry as she’s been trying to get seats to the equestrian events and can see the empty seats on TV.

Cougar

Have we done this yet?

It’s really not difficult to find out. The forum search facility aside, a brief glance at the first page of the chat reveals:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/empty-seats-tr-limpix

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ooh-look-olympics-stadium-half-empty

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thousands-of-empty-seats-on-womens-beach-volley-ball-now

… all on the front page.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Bump.

I wanted tickets too and now the empty seats has really annoyed me.

I’m not buying stupid money tickets bought by people who tried to cash in either.

donsimon
    Free Member

Didn’t an Oylimpic represenative announce yesterday announce that some of the corporate tickets that have aleady been bought and paid for could be sold for a second time to the general public for a win/win situation?

teenrat

But now there are many more tickets available the night before the events, so that is OK. Well it is if you live in London, and can go to the olympics at the drop of a hat, but for the rest of the UK, it is just another kick in the teeth and that this Olympics only benefits london.

The organisers are missing the whole point of the ticket row. Filling up the seats with soldiers, teachers and children to make it look good on TV, yet there is absolutely no consideration for the thousands of sport fans from around the UK who cannot go. This is purely all about saving face.

I heard on the radio at lunchtime that it bears alot of similarity to the North Koreans hiring chinese actors to fill the stands at the RSA football world cup.

jfletch
    Free Member

The organisers are missing the whole point of the ticket row. Filling up the seats with soldiers, teachers and children to make it look good on TV, yet there is absolutely no consideration for the thousands of sport fans from around the UK who cannot go. This is purely all about saving face.

Kind of. I think the biggest issue seems to be that the seats they have allocated for the people that are least likely to turn up are the most visible while the screaming masses are at the back.

It is a necessary evil that these seats need to be available but is it really necessary they are at the front?

And Seb would be well advised to recognise how angry people are about it which I don’t think he gets. It’s no use telling us, probably quite correctly, that a 20,000 seater venue is “stuffed” when we can see 100 empty seats in a block at the front becuase in our irrational minds one of those 100 seats was “my seat” and that being empty is the reason “I” didn’t get a ticket.

footflaps

There were loads empty in the Hockey Arena yesterday. Was a bit annoying as I’m sure loads of Hockey fans didn’t get in.

EDIT:

Empty Seats by brf, on Flickr

ski
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

There were loads empty in the Hockey Arena yesterday. Was a bit annoying as I’m sure loads of Hockey fans didn’t get in.

Not that I am too fussed now, the TV coverage has been great so far.

Who did you see play footflaps?

atlaz
    Free Member

this Olympics only benefits london

Well, other than the events outside London, this IS the London Olympics 😉

teenrat

Ahh, Maybe i should wait for the Haverfordwest ( where i live) olympics then to see some benefit.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

this Olympics only benefits london McDonalds and Coca Cola.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well it is if you live in London, and can go to the olympics at the drop of a hat, but for the rest of the UK, it is just another kick in the teeth and that this Olympics only benefits london.

They’re nasty, those teeth-kicking dropped hats. 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

maybe there are people in the crowd wearing these and others are trying to avoid them ?

molgrips
    Free Member

but for the rest of the UK, it is just another kick in the teeth and that this Olympics only benefits london.

Er, are you seriously complaining that the London Olympics is too hard to get to from the other end of the country?

It’s considerably closer than both Beijing and Sydney!

teenrat

As the extra tickets are only available the night before the event how could someone from Scotland for example get to London for the following morning?

footflaps

If you go to the Olympics you will realise that large numbers of non-Londoners have managed to travel there and really enjoy themselves!

jon1973
    Free Member

this Olympics only benefits london McDonalds and Coca Cola.

Don’t be so cynical. What about Visa?

teenrat

My point is that yes non londoners have gone to the games but they were able to plan it well in advance asthey would know when their events were but the v short timescales on the newly available tickets makes it very difficult to organise if you live a long way away.[*]

donsimon
    Free Member

Shouldn’t all this anger be directed at the sponsors who’ve paid for the tickets? And surely as part of the sponsorship deal they’re paid for them.
    If I buy a ticket and decide not to use it, then that’s my choice. If you want that ticket, you can buy it from me and not pay the Oylimpics a second time, no?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I got the impression that the sponsors are using their seats; the empty seats are apparently other nations allocations which they haven’t used… still a disgrace in my mind.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

But now there are many more tickets available the night before the events, so that is OK. Well it is if you live in London, and can go to the olympics at the drop of a hat, but for the rest of the UK, it is just another kick in the teeth and that this Olympics only benefits london.

I think it’s good that many Londoners who have had to endure all the increased congestion and disruption caused by the games now have an opportunity to do so. I am now hoping to get to see some events, whereas previously I was disappointed that I couldn’t get any tickets. The whole ticket sales system does seem quite farcical though.

I think more tickets should be given to kids, so that they can get an opportunity to see the games. Many poorer families simply cannot afford tickets, but if the kids could go that would be wonderful.

crikey
    Free Member

I think it’s good that many Londoners who have had to endure all the increased congestion and disruption caused by the games now have an opportunity to do so.

Oooh How very dare you!

We’ve got you now mike, welcome. 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Thank you crikey! My baptism does seem to have been a trifle ‘fiery’, I must say!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Olympics : Empty seats’ is closed to new replies.