Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • When can my son go in a child seat on the bike?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’ve got a little boy who’s coming up for 6 months and I am starting this think about getting him out on the bike.

I realise that at the moment he’s still a little on the young side but i’m just thinking ahead more than anything.

He has been able to hold his head up well for a while now. I’m not taking him out without a helmet so i realise he needs to be able to hold his head up well with a helmet first. I’m probably going to get one of those front child seats so he’s between my arms and can see forwards where we’re going.

I’d like to be able to take him out this side of winter if at all possible.

Are there any guidelines on this sort of thing? And when have you guys started to take your kids out on the bike?

joemarshall
    Free Member

3-6 months in a fancy bike trailer with a special baby sling attachment (croozer or chariot). Most seats are from one I think.

Rose went in the Croozer trailer from six months and still loves it now she is two. I’ve taken her in a bike seat (hire bike in Berlin), when she was just one, was fine, although I massively prefer the trailer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

need to be able to support their own head- depends on the child but a trailer at a much earlier age

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’m not taking him out without a helmet so i realise he needs to be able to hold his head up well with a helmet first.

Probably well over a year old then – nearer two. Its not just about holding his head up with the helmet, its about getting one that fits and his neck having the strength not to snap under the weight of it in a crash

Or you could actually do as most folk around the world do and have him on the bike from a couple of months old in a suitable seat / sling / trailer. My nephews were on a bike at 8 wks old ish in a sling

trb
    Free Member

Mine were both about a year old, but they are spring babies and were too young in their first summer, their mum vetoed it in autumn and I was too lazy for their first winter!

Seriously though there’s no rush. At that age they’ll probably just fall alseep anyway and it very much depends on the child’s development and their mum’s opinion!

Now of course, the only time I’m allowed to take a bike out on my own is when I go to work. Any other time and the little trbs bitch, whine and howl until I take them with me, so make the most of being able to ride on your own while you can!

tinsy
    Free Member

fwiw, your right about the front crossbar mounted seats I got given a rear mounted seat, and though it worked, I wish I had just binned it, I bought a weeride for this year and its much, much, better.

Only you will know when its really right for your child, but you might not get much riding this year.

I did buy a trailer too, but my boy hated that..

GrahamS

Trailer seconded (thirded whatever).
    Our daughter was in a trailer from one. She is two now and still loves it.

We don’t use a helmet in the trailer – we’re not doing anything extreme, it is low down and she is well secured by a four-point strap.

Good for carrying a bit of luggage too (nappy bag, swimming kit etc).

Scamper
    Free Member

Ours took his first ride in a Burley last week at 8.5 months. The only issue is getting a neck support for when he falls asleep, but i have not tried with the seat straps angled further back. Will probebly try him with a helmet too when he is old enough – the trailer seems to have a recess for helemts so will see if it is comfy for him.

Limy
    Free Member

We sell Bobike seats at work. You can put them in a seat from approx 9 months old but its mainly when they can sit up and support themselves so if thats 6 or 7 months or 12 months it depends on the Child. One important thing to remember is you should only take them out for the same amount of time as they can normally sit up, play and support themselves. If this is only 5 or 10 mins then thats all you should take them out riding for.

We also recommend putting them in a front seat when they are very young. This is for their enjoyment as you can not only see exactly what they are doing but you can also talk to them and interact with them which you can do if they are on the back of the bike.

If you want any more info feel free to give me a shout.

paulos
    Free Member

I first took out my daughter Darcy when she was 9 months old, i bought a topeak babysitter, is was either the topeak or a co-pilot limo because of the fitment on my orange r8, im mega impressed with the seat its mega easy to fit and protects little one very very well, she loves going out on ride’s and has fallen asleep many a time and been able to lay naturally and not have her helmet pull her head causing her any neck bother, hope you get sorted soon and enjoy many happy years of riding together.

ransos
    Free Member

My daughter was in the croozer trailer from 3 months – you can buy a special seat like a baby car seat which is very secure, and the neck is supported. No need for a helmet – she’s strapped in and the trailer has a roll over cage. Need to be very gentle until they’re a bit older – hit a pothole and you can expect tears.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Our lad was in the trailer from 6 weeks old. The trailer was modified to take his Infant carseat on a custom made vibration isolating base. The seat locked on to secure it.

Now at 16 months he’s in a Bobike Mini+ (has been since about 10 months). He seems to really enjoy it, we have good interaction, and he gets smiles from everyone we pass. I’d recommend it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘When can my son go in a child seat on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.