Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Olson & Pinion gearbox
  • jfb01
    Free Member

I am getting very interested in pinion gearbox bikes.Has any one tried the Olson bikes.Ilike the idea of a British made frame.

slightreturn
    Free Member

I have ridden one, round my local streets . It came to me after the single track guys had it on demo. Unfortunately for me, it was knackered. The pinion gear box would not change any gears. So it went back to Steve Olsen, I was really thinking it was the way to go in the Yorkshire grit

Shame

Rubber_Buccaneer

the idea of a British made frame.

Have you spoken to 18 Bikes?

https://www.18bikes.co.uk/18-bikes-custom-pinion-frame.html?id=123193115

jfb01
    Free Member

Thanks SR,so they are not as indestructible as I had imagined.I wonder what the testers had done to it.They certainly never mentioned any problems in their test reports.I thought the days when we took STW reviews with a pinch of salt were long passed,but it seems not.
    R.B. I did not know anyone else but Olsen Bikes were building frames with Pinion g.b’s.In the UK I mean.Thanks for the heads up.

eyestwice
    Free Member

There’s also this, which is highly rated:

Deviate Guide

Rubber_Buccaneer

BTW I have two pinion gearbox bikes

Nicolai Ion GPI, P1.12 gearbox has done 1897.2 miles

Sick Wulfbarron, C1.12 gearbox has done 2359.8 miles

Both still change gear fine, probably better than when new.  The only problem I can report is the magnesium casing of the C1.12 has been damaged on some edges, I suspect by stones flicked off the rear wheel but don’t know for sure

tomhoward

I’ve not had any issues with the one on my deviate either, though it’s not done mega miles. Switched the shifter for triggers too.

I like the pinion more for what it allows (lower unsprung mass, thus better suspension performance), that it’s shifting/maintenance tbh, not sure I’d bother with one on a hardtail as I haven’t had that many issues with derailleur systems.

Rik
    Free Member

Suggest giving Steve Olsen an email. I considered one a few years ago and he was very helpful. He does a more ‘normal’ looking one now if the elevated chainstays are not you’re thing ( built by Carbon Wasp I think)

The major benefit of the Olsen over 18bikes is that pinion bikes are not that light. But Olsen frame weighs 1.2kg vs a 18bikes frame will weigh 2.6kg and that’s before you add in the pinion. A steel pinion bike would be a weighty one

jfb01
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    RB – On your hardtail. Is the often mentioned drag from the gearbox noticeable when peddling & does having all the weight centred make any difference to the handling on a hardtail.?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t notice the drag, if there is some it’s small enough not to bother me but I’m no racer.  The centralised weight I don’t think offers any advantage On a hardtail unless you are comparing it to a Rohloff that sticks all the weight in the rear wheel.  The weight distribution advantage only really comes into play on the full suspension bike where you’ve shifted the weight from unstrung to sprung.

Have you tried a gearbox or hub gear bike at all?  I’d strongly recommend you do.  I love them but you need to be able to get long with the shifting and a Pinion gearbox will add over a kilo to your bike weight.  Light is not an option.

jfb01
    Free Member

Thanks for the info RB.I have not yet tried a gearbox.So was interested to find out what the consensus on them was.I have just checked Olsen Cycles site ,looking at prices.I was very surprised to find all mention of vat on the prices was not mentioned .Until clicking the buy button.Suddenly the price went up by £800 ! So I think the project will have to be abandoned.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Olson & Pinion gearbox’ is closed to new replies.