• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Old Skateboarders (early 90’s content)
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Back in the olden days of 1990 a local electrical shop hired a bunch of 18 year olds a video camera for the weekend, i think it cost £50 and £100 for a deposit. We spent the weekend going hither and dither around the local skate spots and Barrow ramp (if anyone remembers that?). The footage was then edited between 2 video recorders and we made our own version of the Powell videos – we named ours ‘Jiggery Pokery’. Anyway, here it is. It nicely shows how bad we were at skating and at how lucky the kids have it today. We had a favourite curb not skatepark!!
    Not sure how you embed stuff but the link is below.

kayak23

Nice. I’ll watch that properly later 😊👍
    Good start with Dinosaur Jr

Agree on the skatepark comment. We had maybe 1 or two small vert ramps dotted around but the rest was just street. Not all bad I guess.

I used to have to get on the train for an hour or so to get to Birmingham Wheels ramps.

They don’t know they’re born etc..😂

finbar
    Free Member

Mate, you were better than me! I could do pop shuvits and 180 ollies, but never managed to land a kickflip when rolling. (mid 90s rather than early 90s here though, so I actually had a popsicle deck)

EddieFiola
    Free Member

The kick flip with a jumper over the head makes me laugh at 3:27 – Fluke!

kayla1
    Free Member

That is brilliant 😎 Thanks for posting it!

Haze

I remember Barrow very well, albeit it looks a lot smaller on the video than I remember it!

As a midlander we drove to Barrow on a number of occasions, kipping in the cars overnight for a full weekend there.

edit: may have posted this before…

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I have a pic of Tony Hawk Doing a McTwist on the vert section of that ramp.

pk13

Thank u will watch later on the big telly

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Bookmarked to watch at lunch.. 😁

pk13

Wheels in brum
    Leam boys club
    Radlands in Northampton
    The walk/skate from the train station to wheels was an eye opener sometimes.
    And seeing people in vans or dvs shoe’s and giving them the nod.
    Good days

StirlingCrispin

If I show that to H (my 13-yr old) he’ll be straight on the train to Barrow!

Spends his life dotting about central Scotland and beyond with his skateboard.
    The Loading Bay in Glasgow is his favourite hangout, but Portobello skatepark and Dumbarton Unit-18 are only mulitple bus and train journeys away….

kimbers

Love it

I was always shit at skateboarding tho!

grum
    Free Member

Barrow ramp (if anyone remembers that

Met Tony Hawk and the rest of the Bones Brigade there as a kid! IIRC Tony Hawk came second to a local (Rocker?) in the ramp contest. 🙂

Wish I still had the skateboard I got with the full team’s signatures on though. 🤦

I have a pic of Tony Hawk Doing a McTwist on the vert section of that ramp.

This must have been the same event surely!

razorrazoo

That brought back happy memories of plywood and pallets in supermarket car parks, the ‘new’ estate being the destination of choice (smooth tarmac and kerbs), coffining down the big hill, powerslides, learning shove-its etc.

I remember after getting my first proper ‘pro’ set up getting dropped off at Bracknell ramp and realising how massive a proper vert ramp actually was and that perhaps I’d not just be dropping in and pulling a rock and roll first up.  On the plus side Pete Dossett (Deathbox vert pro) was doing a photo shoot for R.A.D mag so I just sat watching for a couple of hours before I was picked up.

Those early skate vids were great.  I remember Attack being really slated at the time, but looking at it now, a ‘short’ 20 min vid with a Bomb the Bass soundtrack.  The Ray Barbee section at about 8 mins was so cool.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Love it

Following RAD and The Past Participle on Instagram brings back so many fond memories

https://www.instagram.com/readanddestroy/
    https://www.instagram.com/thepastparticiple/

pk13

How do you veiw insta without having it?

pandhandj
    Free Member

@eddiefiola

Fantastic! cheers mate!

I still have my old board from 1990-ish.

Danny Way’s first Pro deck on H-Street, indy’s and Vision Proton’s – and it still works!!

NB – if you still have the yellow GT outfit, i will be very impressed

Futureboy77

My playground during the early 90’s

kayak23

Love it. Came for the old-school skating, stayed for the music!

Dinosaur Jr, Eight Dayz, Agent Orange and The Stupids. Love it 😊

I think that Eight Dayz track was in a segment in Wheels on Fire.
    Always think about that movie when I see Rob Roskopp/Santa Cruz.

Edit. It’s the intro.

Posted these before I’m sure but some of my favourite photos of me skating back in the day.
    First two at ROM

twohats
    Free Member

I was at that bones demo at Barrow.
    I was on the platform shooting photos during the demo.
    We were also at Livingston the day before.
    Many happy memories of Barrow.

Haze

@grum

came second to a local (Rocker?) in the ramp contest

Paul ‘Rocker’ Robson, one of the Death Box lads.

Also remember Gooey, Wingy and Millie from up there, and a very young Andy Scott who was already tearing it up

razorrazoo

I still love the late 80s/early 90s skating culture, just reminds me of growing up, hanging with mates all summer messing around and having fun, managed to sneak a few repros into the house.

And collecting some nostalgic reading:

And a permanent reminder.

scruff
    Free Member

Haze
    edit: may have posted this before…

Poor Memory? 🙂

Thanks for posting, I did go to barrow once, or was it stockport? I cant remember, those days are blurred. Went to Warrington and Bury vert ramp in a leisure centre, most of our ramp skating was at Brum Wheels & then Lichfield, didn’t travel north very often as London was so easy to get to on the train and Walsall was very close and was street heaven in the 90s.

pk13

Those disposable heros books are fantastic for the artwork I highly recommend them if you can find them

Haze

@scruff

Far too many bangs to the head on Dickers 😀

Yeah I remember a Bury comp on the mini next to the vert ramp, can’t recall if your crew made the journey up but a fair few from Brum did…it was the Windy Miller episode, if you were there you’d know it.

Got trashed on the Saturday night and was good for nothing on the Sunday, much like most weekends away back then, good times!

Never made it to Warrington

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

90s old school…. i started skating in 1975…

eskay

For the Bristol crew:

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Old Skateboarders (early 90’s content)’ is closed to new replies.