Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old Ghost Road NZ
  • andykentos
    Free Member

Hi

I am guessing a few people here have probably done the Ghost Road on the South Island in NZ,  how was it?

I am considering doing it in November, Not so keen on going in and spending a few nights in there.  Is it a feasible plan to ride in and just see how far i get then ride back out?

Also i will be driving up from Queenstown, is it really worth it or is there better stuff to spend my time doing?  I was thinking of stopping at Craigieburn on the way up.

Thanks

geuben
    Free Member

What are you hoping for? Trail wise?

It’s a good adventure trail but it’s not particularly tricky, just takes a lot of effort.

I’ve ridden the whole thing over 3 days and we were passing by one end last year so I rode up the trail a bit, turned around and came back. It was fun but there a better trails around NZ if you aren’t bothered about the bike packing, being out in the middle of nohwnow part.

If you are flush, you can get a helicopter drop at one of the peaks and ride out.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nothing special easy jeep track trail for bike packing etc We got a jet boat ride out. That was fun.

geuben
    Free Member

Jeep track? No Jeep is getting up any of the Old Ghost Road.

steveh

I’ve done it. Most important but first.

Craigieburn is amazing. Best place I rode on a 7 week riding tour around nz. Nothing there at all so stock up before you go but definitely do it.

I did ghost road in January as part of the above trip. Did it over 2 days which seems to be the most common choice for bikes. We stayed at stern but past ghost lake. Lots of exposure on the trails, if that bothers you then probably best find another trail.

The riding was pretty good best bit was ghost lake down to stern. You could do a day trip only but not sure you’d really get the best of it.

andykentos
    Free Member

Guess i might just spend a bit longer in Craigieburn, is it really middle of nowhere, no place to stay.  I am in a hire car so probably will be roughing it a bit if possible or backpackers roughly nearby.

Checked it out on youtube, does look more the style of riding i am after than bike packing.

Any trail recommendations or tips for Craigieburn?

Thanks

NZCol

It’s a backcountry adventure ride to some amazing landscape with some incredible huts. I sweated blood building some of it ! It’s not the Gnar but it’s a firkin amazing bit of gold that took many 10s of VOLUNTEERS years and years to build by hand. Remember that.

elchambre
    Free Member

There is not a lot of accommodation around Cragieburn unless you want to hire a holiday home at Castle Hill.

Porters Lodge is down the road http://www.porterslodge.co.nz/ and now open year round, there are new trails there to. We’ve stayed there in winter to go skiing, it’s pretty good.

If you’re into climbing have a look at Castle Hill, you’ll see it off the side of the road, can’t miss it.

arogers
    Free Member

It’s a heck of a drive from Queenstown. I’d guess 8-9 hours. It’s an awesome ride but I’m not sure it’s worth spending a day driving each way for (as pretty as some of that drive is). Make sure you spend a day or two riding in Alexandra while you’re down in Queenstown. Get in touch with Altitude bikes and get Phil to point you in the right direction.

rugbydick

I’ll let you know how the Old Ghost Road is in November. We’re getting Married in Queenstown and then touring up towards Auckland for the next couple of weeks.

We’ll be doing it over 2.5 days, to make it super chilled (and plenty of time for photo stops). Stopping at the Lyell Saddle and Mokihinui Forks huts.

Can’t wait!

bgascoyne
    Free Member

re craigeburn accom. There is a backpackers/hostel not to far down the road https://www.flockhill.co.nz/accommodation/shearers-quarter-backpackers  

Stayed there a good 15 years ago on a ski trip. Was basic but did the job. Not sure what it is like now however. Prob one of the cheapest places around there I guess. And yes, there is nothing around so take food, beer etc!

mikeyp

Ghost Road is a world class bit of trail. Scenery is amazing, it’s designed to be ridden over more than one day. It’s a mostly well benched track with rockier exposed sections on the top. I think pawsy bear is mixing it with something else as there’s no jet boat or 4wd and all the hut materials were choppered in. Stay in the huts and the mokinuhi lodge at the end, support the locals. It’s an adventure rather than a day shredding. There are car relocation services or you can do a mega trip back through the goldfields.

mikeyp

Craigieburn is ace though. That’s more gravity shredding. I’d stay at Flockhill otherwise Springfield is the nearest “””town”””?!

andykentos
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks very much for the help, Craigieburn is on the cards, just need to work out my dates so i can book the back packers

kiwicraig

+1 For Flockhill. Stayed there as part of the Trans NZ Enduro and it’s a great spot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old Ghost Road NZ’ is closed to new replies.