Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Old Frankenstein bike
  • lewisc87
    Free Member

Hello,

I’ve recently bought a cheap second hand bike that seems to be made up of a lot of different parts. It has an old giant rebel frame, gt bars and grips, Suntour epicon remote locking forks, Mismatched hydraulic disc brakes (the rear is a larger disc than the front?), a decent looking Mavic front wheel, and a Shimano rear with a missing spoke.
    It looks like a previous owner converted it to a 1×8 or at least removed the front mech and levers. I had to put a new rear mech and cable on to get it to change gears. It still has the Three chainrings.
    I’d quite like to make it a bit more useable, not for anything extreme, just gentle trails.
    Do you think it’d be worth sticking an 11-40 cassette on as the current one has seen better days? And a narrow wide chainring? I’ll probably change the bb and headset bearings as I’m sure they’ve had their time.
    Not looking to make anything competitive, but I quite enjoy tinkering. Thanks

cinnamon_girl

If it’s old style geometry then may not be particularly comfy but am sure you’ll get more helpful replies than mine. Bumping your post anyway!

montgomery
    Free Member

I also enjoy tinkering. Some points to consider, lacking full info:

You imply it’s currently on 8 speed rear shifter and a 7/8/9 speed rear mech. You can get 11-40 8 speed cassettes, apparently, but I suspect you’d need some sort of goatlink-type device to get it to work with the mech.

The mech won’t have a clutch, so a NW chainring is a good idea – how cheap is the crankset? Three chainrings riveted together, or bolted on separately? Latter case is easy, just a cheap eBay ring on the middle tabs with shorter single chainring bolts.

You’ll need a new chain with all that, too, unlikely the old one would mesh well.

damascus
    Free Member

What @Montgomery said

Personally with that age bike and 8 speed I would put the front mech and shifter back on. It’s the cheapest and easiest way to get more gears.

montgomery
    Free Member

OP implied the front mech and shifter are AWOL; buying replacements will be cheaper than a 1x setup if the current drivetrain is worth keeping. Whether an old Giant Rebel (Revel?) is worth spending, what, £60? on a new drivetrain to keep trailworthy is up to the OP.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Old Frankenstein bike’ is closed to new replies.