Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Old Cateye Triple Shot battery/LED upgrade? (more boring bike light content)
  • ross980
    Free Member

2 question. I have a Cateye Triple Shot (the old silver one). Firstly the light has been left for over a year and I think the battery pack no longer holds charge. I think the battery pack is basically 10 x 2700mAH AAs connected in series. Maplin has some cheap 2500mAh AA on offer at the moment so I'm assuming it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the cells (admittedly it'll have a lower capacity) – anyone tried this?

Also, has anyone tried upgrading the LEDs in the unit? I appreciate the original Triple Shot is now dated technology but if it's possible to increase light output with an 'easy'/cheap upgrade I'd be interested. Anyone tried it?

b_man
    Free Member

Ah, it doesn't help you much but I am looking for a charger for this light… unless you want to buy the battery pack off me?

trout
    Free Member

Check out this rather fine upgrade to a triple shot

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=608544

lardman
    Free Member

I'm in the same situation, with a double, and a triple. ONe for head, the other for bike.

Is it really as simple as using a bunch of AA's, in series.

I'd love to know, if anyone can answer.

ross980
    Free Member

Thanks Trout – that looks a bit too complex though. I was hoping to use the same battery/driver and if possible just swap out the LEDs – something similar is done here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=408260
    I just wondered if anyone on here had sourced LEDs and tried it – ideally I only want to swap them if it's cheap and only requires a small amount of soldering and maybe a bit of reshaping with a Dremel.

These look like possible replacements:
    SSC P4 U Bin
    or these
    CREE P4 XR-E

Regarding the battery pack – it's definitely just 10 x AA cells (also see above link). Although I'd guess they're the 'industrial' type ones (the ones with the soldering tags attached at each end) – I might be wrong though. My charger keeps showing full after 5-10 minutes which according to the manual indicates the cells are knackered – if I can't get it working I'll take it apart and bodge together a replacement using some Maplin batteries.

mmb
    Free Member

i did it and mine now works fine, got the batts from maplins found my old soldering iron and drew a diagram to make sure i put it back together the right way and it was fine just make sure you disassemble carefully and draw a wiring diagram before you start, it doesn't take long and saved me £70 on the price of a new pack, do it!.

ross980
    Free Member

Cheers mmb , the battery pack is definately knackered – I've got all of 10 min run time. 8 x 2500mAH batts from Maplin are £10, so £20 should will do it (spare AAs are always useful).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not being funny but have you tried googling it?- I had a cateye triple shot and found loads of stuff on candlepowerforum with people upgrading them when I was contemplating the same.

(goes off to google) second hit…

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196672&page=2

snaps
    Free Member

A few of them have been modded on mtbr, but that housing is a lot heavier than it needs to be – I'd be trying to reduce the weight whilst upgrading the LEDs

ross980
    Free Member

Yeah Googled it Munque but everything on that link looks too much of a faff. The main issue is the battery not working which should be easy to sort. Upgrading the LEDs is only secondary, I don't want to start messing about with heat sinks, new drivers, new optics etc. I just wondered if anyone has managed to upgrade the LEDs with minimal effort… also, wondered if anyone on here had upgraded and managed to source LEDs from the UK?

Snaps – agree the housing is heavy, but it pales into insignificant next to the battery…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ross980

Did you get round to updating the LED’s?

I have read the threads above and a little confused as to which LED’s will just drop straight in without any other mods.

ALso are there any better LED’s out there now, as most of these threads are now 3-4 years old…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Old Cateye Triple Shot battery/LED upgrade? (more boring bike light content)’ is closed to new replies.