Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • OK so who understands bike trousers then?
  • Northwind

I’ve always been a shorts and kneepads sort of a chap, waterproof shorts in winter, and generally pretty happy even in the depths of winter. But this year I’m basically feeling weak and a bit demotivated to ride anyway, so I’m thinking riding trousers might be an idea.

Main things I’m looking for is not being horrible when wet (waterproof bum basically a necessity), being machine washable (what’s the point of winter kit that isn’t?), not too rustly (my army surplus goretex drove me mad) and fine to wear over proper kneepads like the old Kyle Strait (because if I’m riding in the cold or rain, there’ll be slippery death). Oh and if they weren’t incredibly expensive that’d be good too, because I might not like ’em.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

ton

keela scufflers ??

rubymurry
    Free Member

I’m normally same prefer shorts and knee warmers but just got some Endura Mt500 spray pants, and they seem great and really comfy to ride in

fadda

I cannot understand how anyone rides in trousers.
    In the depths of winter, I’ll wear bib longs under my waterproof shorts, but it would just feel wrong to have anything flapping (to even the smallest extent) around my calves…

mariner
    Free Member

Leg warmers or fluffy tights courtesy of Aldi under baggy shorts.
    If its really really cold then long rain pants over any of above.

lunge

2nd Fabba, tights is the answer, under shorts if you must.

slowoldman

Endura Mt500 spray pants,

I have shorts, 3/4s and full length in MT500.

honourablegeorge

Very early days, but I got a set of Nukeproof Blackline pants a fortnight ago and really like them. Not waterproof, more a light softshell, but not baggy, not at all restrictive, really confortable and have kept me clean and more or less dry.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Didn’t think I’d get on with longs but last winter I was completely converted.  I have some Madison zip off waterproofs (not that I’ve ever zipped the lowers off) and a couple of pairs of stretchy Decathlon hiking trousers for when it is less wet.  I find them great to ride in, water down the shoes is reduced and the luxury of easily stripping of the muddy top layer after a night ride was a revelation.  Can’t really recommend them to the OP since I don’t wear knee pads for local rides so my requirements don’t match

joebristol

I’m normally just Lycra shorts with baggy shorts on top and a big set of knee pads on.

However if it gets really really cold / minging then I tend to swap the Lycra shorts for my warmer commuting tights unde baggies. Just some dhb ones – make it nice and toasty. Not waterproof but you stay warm in them even when wet I find.

Rubber_Buccaneer

tights is the answer

Nope.  Used to use them (and still use them under the trousers if I need the warmth) but the downside is after the above mentioned night rides when it’s late, I’ve had a drink, need a pee and don’t want to be hopping around wrestling muddy tights over my feet while spreading mud all over the garage.

andeh

So, when wearing tights, do you wear kneepads over?

I’m also interested in answers, seems Northwind and I have very similar trouser needs…

nickdavies

Fox shuttle pants is what I use for wet dh days.

As above, just embrace Lycra. These days unless I’m riding where I have to get in a mini bus or with certain mates I just wear Lycra. Warm and toasty, no flapping. Trousers are a lot colder than a good pair of longs.

fathomer

Interested in this as well. I didn’t think the Nukeproof pants felt overly weatherproof, maybe I was wrong!

scruff
    Free Member

I have two pairs of Alutra something’s and two pairs of Endurance MT500s or something. You’d think the Altras were made for walking in, no bike fit at all. The Enduras are better fitting for pedalling with better pockets and space for pads.

Tights are for ballerinas or Wrestlers.

honourablegeorge

@fathomer Not worn in a downpour, just muddy manky days with standing water. Just found less water in my shoes, clean legs, not sweaty or uncomfortable and my under shorts were dry enough to wear home.

Not fully weatherproof, just good.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Got a pair of these and ride in then all the time now. Only in shorts when it’s warm. My bluegrass pads fit under them fine.
    https://www.madison.cc/p/zenith-men-s-4-season-dwr-trouser/mcl19w0407

zezaskar
    Free Member

I used to be quite skeptical about trousers but my stance changed radically over the last year.

Begining of last winter I purchased a pair of Endura Singletrack trousers on a good deal, out of curiosity. They suck up lots of water and get heavy and saggy in the rain and are on the hot side for summer and could have a slimmer fit, but I loved how they kept my legs and knee pads clean, how protected my lower leg from all kinds of stuff and how, except for the heat, unrestrictive they were for pedaling.

This spring I got a pair of Decathlon NH500 Fit hiking trousers
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh500-fit-mens-khaki-id_8502002.html

Best buy ever:
    – cheap, £20
    – not as robust as dedicated MTB trousers, but tough enough
    – very nice, slim fit but still go well over pads
    – very comfy, stretchy fabric
    – very cool in the summer
    – they suck very little water and dry crazy fast
    – with lycra chamois underneath plus knee pads they are warm enough for me

When these go I might try some more specific riding trousers, like the Endura Burners

Northwind

This is great, thanks everyone! Seems to be that the Endura Burners and the Madison DTEs both fill my requirements so I’ll check those out. There’s other recommends in there that look excellent too, especially the Decathlons, but I’m going to go all in for serious wetness protection for these and my experience of “water resistant” and “water repellant” is that it never does as much as I want it to do.

I might give Endura a crack, I was put off by their pisspoor “waterproof” neoprene gloves with the unsealed stitching but that’s getting to be a long time to bear a grudge 🙂

(the nukeproofs seem to be out of stock in most sizes)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Fwiw, I enjoy cycling in my craghoppers ‘kiwi pro’ trousers.

They’re described as being ‘water resistant’, but I haven’t had a chance to test that out.

Stretchy enough, and I can wear my race face ‘charge’ knee warmers and dianese trail skins combo, under them.

And their reflective heel-tape is cool.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Boardman MTB trousers last year, which can convert into shorts, I wear them loads on and off the bikes… Even been known to wear them on the road bike! 😮

jimdubleyou

I’ve got a pair of endura zip offs – tbh, don’t really like them. The waist is too high and they rustle like  a very rustly thing.

I recently bought some Fox water pants for a very wet ride. Don’t feel especially robust, but they are definitely water resistant and comfy.

Cuffs sat above a waterproof sock also kept my feet nice and dry.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Fox Flexair trousers for me. Never really wore anything since the old TLD Moto days when racing DH, they gave me an aversion to trousers for a long time.

But these are amazing, they are slim fitting, so probably won’t work for the more tubby rider, not 100% waterproof, as they are stretchy as hell, but are DWR. The now do the ranger trousers which are supposedly similar, but more waterproof.

They are so comfy to wear they are becoming a go to for normal riding now 🙂

fathomer

@honourablegeorge thanks, maybe I dismissed them to quickly. Unfortunately, as Northwind says, they’re out of stock in most sizes.

dropoff

I spent last year looking for exactly the same thing, closest I got was the Tenn waterproofs from Tredz (£30) however they were a little tight on my Bliss kneepads. So I’ve ended up with a cheap pair of Karrimor leggings over padded shorts or longs as it gets colder, held up with a pair of braces. Rode like this all through winter last year and the great benefit is your gear stays clean and dry with only a pair of leggings to sort out.

epicyclo

greatbeardedone

Fwiw, I enjoy cycling in my craghoppers ‘kiwi pro’ trousers…

Me too. Enough stretch to be unnoticeable and enough water resistence for most days.

But what really widens the choice is full mudguards on the bike.

Once you realise how much of the wetness comes from what your tyres chuck at you rather than what falls on you, it’s a revelation.

OK the bike may look somewhat unfashionable, but the rider can still look svelte and dry in almost normal clothing… 🙂

IdleJon

I cannot understand how anyone rides in trousers.
    In the depths of winter, I’ll wear bib longs under my waterproof shorts, but it would just feel wrong to have anything flapping (to even the smallest extent) around my calves…

Nothing flaps if you’ve bought decent trousers.

I REALLY don’t understand riders who put on a pair of longs and then need to cover them up with a pair of baggies. Like wearing board shorts over a wetsuit – an unnecessary layer of clothing.

seanr
    Free Member

I have ventured into this world recently and definitely recommend trousers to anyone.

Actually have some Madison DTE’s forsale in XL purely because they are too big, used twice.

trumpton
    Free Member

I wear a pair of loose fitting jeans unless it’s really raining. Then I use a pair of aldi waterproof overtrousers over baggy shorts. Both with pads for the bikepark, but not for xc.

towzer

What about 3/4 waterproof over shorts and long sealskins/dexshell/other socks

Also they’re now doing one piece dirtsuits, I posted about it on here a short while ago

Anybody tried a one piece dirtsuit

cynic-al
    Free Member

I N R A T S But do any of you use mudguards?

Keva
    Free Member

Fwiw, I enjoy cycling in my craghoppers ‘kiwi pro’ trousers.
    They’re described as being ‘water resistant’, but I haven’t had a chance to test that out.

they’re okay for about 5-10min then you’ll get wet, believe me. great for cold dry days though.

I’ve got a pair of Ground Effect cycling trousers similar to these ones but I bought mine 10yrs ago so they’ve changed slightly. They’re great for cold dry days but as with most longs they become cumbersome around the calfs and ankles when it’s very wet.

If it’s cold & wet I’ll either wear shorts with leg warmers round the lower legs or just wear long tights.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got some Sealskinz knee length waterproof socks. Only done two rides so far but I reckon it’s going to be a great solution. I have waterproof 3/4 shorts if required to go with them. The problem with trousers has always been flappiness and (for me) feeling restricted around the knees and thighs. I reckon the shorts/long socks setup is going to sort that out because my knee will be free even if there’s no gap. And being waterproof and warm I can ride through as many puddles as I like without getting mud splatter, and I can wade through mud or puddles at gates and my feet stay warm and dry.

Only downside is that I look like someone cycling home from football practice.

EDIT I see someone’s mentioned it above too

Re trousers – I had some great softshell general outdoor trousers that were stretch and good for riding but without cycling-specific reinforced crotch they wore out all too soon.

jimdubleyou

Only downside is that I look like someone cycling home from football practice.

Or a golfist who’s lost the elastic from his Plus Fours.

Fat-boy-fat

MT500 waterproof trousers. I bought a pair last year and they made winter riding actually fun. No freezing mud covered shins, plenty of room for knee pads, don’t get caught in the drive train, stay up, are breathable, I could go on and on.

Yes, they are expensive but they are absolutely fantastic. Like no other waterproof bit of cycling kit I’ve ever owned.

bruneep

MT500 waterproof trousers.

A pair just dropped through the door today, hopefully make winter more bearable.

scotroutes

Just got some Sealskinz knee length waterproof socks. Only done two rides so far but I reckon it’s going to be a great solution. I have waterproof 3/4 shorts if required to go with them.

Yeah – I saw your post. I have the mid-calf length ones which “just” work with a pair of 3/4 length Endura tights but full knee-length would open up a few options too.

When it’s particularly cold/wet I still dig out my Endura Stealth bib-tights. Usually some sort of waterproof short on over them to add some additional proofing on the arse area and avoid wearing them out with any grit/mud that would otherwise ruin them.

Northwind

Ended up buying a pair of the Madisons, purely because they were cheaper and because the Enduras I liked the look of most aren’t available til the end of November. Guess I’ll report back once I’ve tried them!

I do have super-long sealskinz and dexshells, which do work pretty well but don’t quite reach the knee… And I’ve got a front mudguard on everything but my main bike doesn’t really suit a rear. (the fatbike does have one, because snowmelt and a fatbike without one is basically an invitation to develop trench cock)

Tracey

Been out all day in the rain at Bike Park Wales. My Madison Flo trousers have kept my bottom half dry again.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

lunge

Subscriber

2nd Fabba, tights is the answer, under shorts if you must.

We’re not roadies, man! Turning up at somewhere like Wind Hill in tights is about as appropriate as wearing a mankini to a white tie event.

JP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘OK so who understands bike trousers then?’ is closed to new replies.