Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ok gonna have to say something…DIBS! (rant)
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

People who put “dibs” in the classifieds really pisses me off, the number of times people have said this to me on other forums admittedly, and then vanished into thin air after you have turned down other people drives me crazy. How about you get dibs when you put the money in my fuc!ing account. And breathe….

Junkyard
    Free Member

would let a regular poster do dibs but not someone whose name i failed to recognise.
    Do you need to name and shame?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

no not on this site

nickc

It is pretty childish

richpips
    Free Member

dibs means squat.

However money in my paypal account means it’s sold.

🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

first with the cash. That’s the only rule.

crispybacon
    Free Member

perhaps we/you need to put a ‘No dibs’ clause in your advert – cash is king 🙂

andym
    Free Member

So how do you cope with half a dozen people all transferring money to your PayPal account? Do you refund the money of the 5 who didn’t get their money into your account in time? You have to have ‘dibs’ in some shape or form.

Personally I’d always send someone an email, and if I hadn’t received an email from someone within say an hour I’d invite other offers.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

No, some one says i’ll buy that, you say ok, they say right i’ll put the money in your account now, you say thanks then type up that its sold. Simples…

AB
    Free Member

andym – how often have you had 6 people all transferring money into your PayPal account without prior agreement?

Not once I bet!
    Now all sing it after me:

Money is King – Dibs don’t mean a thang!!!

roadiesean
    Free Member

Got to say, I am finding more and more people not even dibbing, but coming in with offers, lots of email conversations agreements on time to collect etc and then letting you down, now THAT is timewasting. Has now happened 5 times in past 2 months.

Even one on eBay, selling my bike, the maggot offers a BIN price which I was happy with, offered me deposit if I put a BIN on there and then, I did, he bought it and then mucked me around for 3 weeks, never paid the deposit, arranged to collect it three times and never showed, when I finally came the heavy, mentioning that buying from ebay constituted a legally binding contract, told me he didn’t want it. Went through the no-payment pallaver with ebay only for him to say that he didn’t believe me that I had paid full retail for the bike 6 months ago and that he didn’t feel that the price [u]he had offered me was enough of a bargain !!! No come back at all from ebay. May his tyres go flat and his lights fail mid ride.

joe1983
    Free Member

Yeah, but what if two people both say they want to buy it, you can’t make them race to put the money in your account, then refund the slowest. Surely, as andym says some ‘dibs’ system is needed.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

what about the first to offer (without dibs) or the highest price

richpips
    Free Member

OK.

Advert blah blah blah……….emailme@need_the_money_now_not_later.com

Receive email from a,b +c simultaneously. Send further information pics as requested. d asks for paypal address to send payment 5 minutes later.

Receive payment from d 1 minute later.

Sold 2 d.

richpips
    Free Member

Surely, as andym says some ‘dibs’ system is needed.

I’ve lost count of the number of times people say they will have something, then I’ve been polite and waited and waited, before emailing them to a) get blanked or b) for them to say hey are no longer interested.

joe1983
    Free Member

Yes richpips in that instance there is no conflict. But (hypothetically) if a, b, and, c (or any two) ask for paypal details then what do you do? Only give them to the first that asks for paypal details? give details to them all and race them?

Ultimately a ‘dibs’ system is necessary whether it be first to offer asking price, first to ask for payment details, first to reply to add.

richpips
    Free Member

I did once get paid twice for something.

I politely returned the second payment saying that someone had beat them too it. I don’t recall any hard feelings.

The thing that spoils the “dibs” system is that there are too many people who think that it’s OK to mess one about. Certainly a minority, but still people who either haven’t got the money or the ability to get it to the seller in a timely manner.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ok gonna have to say something…DIBS! (rant)’ is closed to new replies.