Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oil changes om a turbo Diesel. Does being late by a few thousand miles matter?
  • ampthill

Our Peugeot Teppe Partner (Citroen Berlino) thing might be 2 or 3 hundred miles beyond the 9000 miles for a its oil change on Thursday. We could possibly hire a car or borrow one for tomorrow and then it would be serviced at 9000 miles. Is this crazy? Everyone on here says make sure you do the oil changes to look after the turbo. It’s a 115 hp 1.5 turbo diesel. The CAT 4 version I think. These are meant to be slightlt explodey on the turbo front….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nah, you’ll be fine. These things are pretty conservative anyway and unless you’ve been abusing the car in such a way the oil temps regularly get high then you’ll be fine. Definitely not worth renting a car for the sake of a few hundred miles.

johnners
    Free Member

A few hundred miles? No. A few thousand miles, as in the thread title? I’d still say no, as long as you’re using good oil, not caning the engine, and not making a habit of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes as above. They are conservative. They have to account for the worst possible case and even then it’s conservative so you’ll be fine.

More important to check the levels and top up though as any car can drink oil not just old ones, but of course old ones are more likely to.

I gave up checking the Prius after a while cos it was always fine, but then I realised I had to check more often now it’s old, and it does need an occasional top up.

johnners
    Free Member

More important to check the levels and top up

My car’s got a dip stick but the user manual says not to top up the oil until the warning light comes on. I’d ignore the manual but I give it an oil change every 12k or so and it doesn’t seem to use any in that time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

YMMV but should be ok.

I’d certainly have no qualms doing it and wouldn’t be hiring a car.

Thoss Turbos were explody for various reasons but using the right oil and over running by a couple hundred miles isn’t one of them.

Using the wrong oil(not low saps – because garages didn’t believe in that Ib the early days or consistantly going long on services etc but one late service won’t worry it

ampthill

Cheers guys. Sorry about the typo in the thread title

singlespeedstu

I often go over 1000 miles after the service light has come on my car due to doing around 1500 miles a week.
    Makes f all difference.

PePPeR

Just seen an oil filter taken off a Toyota with 112k miles on it, original filter from new 1997, cars fine… !

Wally

Berlingo owner here and I do a change every 6 months – takes and hour including trip to recycle centre with old oil. Costs less than £30. 176K so far….5 windscreens but original Turbo and engine main bits.

DickBarton

Mine is due a service in 1700 miles, going to be speaking to the garage to make sure the right oil will be used. Also need to find out what kind of service 51k needs as that will be what I’ll be asking for!

spooky_b329

Only real concern would be if its still in warranty, I’d guess it would say it should be serviced within 10% of the recommended mileage in order to preserve the warranty etc.

halifaxpete

I ran a ’04 2.0HDI Peugeot Partner for 5 years, skipped afew services-as in didnt change the oil for about 2 years at one point, and it still chugged on fine (despite my daily abuse!) Wouldnt recommend it though TBH, especially if its a 1.6 as they tend to need more love than the 2.0’s

jamj1974

Should be fine as above.

bsims
    Free Member

I think it will be fine. Only possible issue is the warrenty could be refused if a dealer was being picky. As said above they oil change intervals have a large margin for severe conditions, hard driving etc… The oil will also have a margine of safty built in.

A former neighbour was bought a new car by her ex husband and after the free servicing ran out she did not get it serviced!! It was still working 4 years after that when we moved. A colleague didnt get his car serviced for 3 years to save money. It gummed up the crank case breather which was replaced and continued for a few more months before it was written off. From these cases I am assuming the oil stays reasonably slippery. It will however, get increasingly acidic which will reduce the life of the engine considerably. Given the engineering tolerances and chemistry of modern engines and oils I doubt a few hundred extra miles would cause a problem if you did it every service. Fleets often carry out a testing regime and only change the oil by the analysis results not time/ cycles.

The only manual I have checked the service T and Cs was a Toyota which said within 1 month/ 1000km of the service date the previous year.

muddyground
    Free Member

Chap at work has a warning light on his van – service due 36,000 miles ago….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just seen an oil filter taken off a Toyota with 112k miles on it, original filter from new 1997, cars fine… !

An old filter doesn’t let more particals though…. Quite the opposite… It would eventually reduce the oil flow though.
    The oils may have n
    Been changed every year but the filter left unchanged.

ampthill

We are out of warranty. But a long way

But it could be a big bill if they do extra at 50k miles

tthew

Might be due for coolant and/or brake fluid at that milage. Bit early for a cam belt, unless there’s a recommended age interval that it’s hit.

molgrips
    Free Member

From these cases I am assuming the oil stays reasonably slippery

In a diesel, a certain amount of diesel forces its way past the piston rings into the sump, depending on how worn they are. This is offset by some of the oil being burnt off. So you think ‘oh yeah my car’s not burning any oil this is great’ but it’s actually being gradually replaced by diesel – I read up to 50% if you leave it a while. This might be why my car seems much smoother after I’ve changed the oil.

This incidentally is an issue with biodiesel. If more than a certain amount of it gets into the oil then it will polymerise and the whole lot turns to jelly as it cools down. Next time you try and start it you’re screwed. Certain designs of engine do a DPF regen by injecting a bit of fuel into the cylinder in the exhaust stroke to supply hydrocarbons to the catalyst in the DPF – this causes more fuel to get into the sump and can cause this issue.

singlespeedstu

I read up to

Says a lot. 😉

I do “a lot” of miles and have never had a diesel that doesn’t need the oil topping up between services.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There’s also alot of conjecture in this thread about engines that are not even closely related to the dv6 engine in the ops car

While I wouldn’t be bothered about a short over run I would not make a habit or decide to ignore the service intervals as some of the anecdotes on here of brothers mother’s cats cars being grand with no servicing.

bsims
    Free Member

My aim was to allay any fears ampthill had, not encourage him to continue without servicing. I firmly believe that if a few hundred extra miles per servive was a porblem there would be far more car spilling their engine internals on the tarmac all over the country.

Overruning a service interval by thousands regularly will shorten engine life through extra wear in a variety of componants, it might be the final starw for an existing weakness but I cant believe small overruns on servive intervals will cause a specific a terminal failure in any modern engine.

For the record, when I did a short commute I got the oil changed every 6 months with apporved spec oil. Now I have a long comute I get the car fully serviced every 9 months, as it is getting long in the tooth and I would like to catch any issues early.

Edit: I didn’t say either car in my anecdote was grand, I said both kept working for an extended period without servicing.

bails

I do “a lot” of miles and have never had a diesel that doesn’t need the oil topping up between services.

My 167,000 mile diesel Focus never needs the oil topping up between changes.

Some do, some don’t.

whatgoesup

Yep – no need to panic but don’t ignore it – as per most comments above

Unless there is a variable service indicator light (i.e. there is oil quality sensing or an algorithm to predict oil degradation based on duty cycle) the manufacturer has to set the oil change interval assuming a reasonable worst case.
    Unless your use happens to count as a worst case type (e.g. lots of stop/starts without it ever getting warm, regular high load usage etc) then you’ll realistically have a fair bit of margin.

On the other hand – the manufacturers intervals will be a compromise between service costs / hassle and longevity – more regular changes will generally reduce wear and contaminant build-up and hence extend life.

One comment does stand out though…

An old filter doesn’t let more particals though…. Quite the opposite… It would eventually reduce the oil flow though.

Most filters have a bypass valve – when the differential pressure is too high (i.e. filter is sufficiently blocked) the valve opens and unfiltered oil is passed through – you definitely don’t want this to happen !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oil changes om a turbo Diesel. Does being late by a few thousand miles matter?’ is closed to new replies.