Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Offline ‘smart’ trainer options
  • rone

My dad wants a trainer and whilst he’s not interested currently in Zwift – is there any option of training software set up that doesn’t need an Internet connection whilst you ride but perhaps you can pre-download a route etc.

I’m thinking not ruling out a decent trainer as he may migrate to zwift.

I currently have an elite suito and would take that path I think if I can get the right software.

molgrips
    Free Member

Zwift is the social networking option for racing and group riding etc. but there are quite a few other options. For me the best solo option is Rouvy. You get to ride famous and not-so-famous climbs and routes (flat and undulating) from around the UK and the world. There are thousands, you can basically ride almost anywhere in the world, which I think is great.

Some of them are enabled so you can join up to three other people I think too, for just a social ride if that takes your fancy. And it has handicaps IIRC so you can both get a workout if you are of different ability.

Otherwise, I think there are quite a few apps that do training programmes and the like – my Elite trainer came with one but it was pretty rubbish.

13thfloormonk

You could use 4k video downloader to download youtube vids, lots of footage of people riding famous climbs. No interactivity though.

MSP

Sufferfest lets you predownload training videos. But as its name suggests its a proper workout, it’s a bit crap for just spinning your legs.

@molegrips Are there any mountain bike rides on rouvey?

BenjiM

Ive been using workouts on my Garmin edge 530 to control a trainer (also using rollers) and to also simulate routes. You can either make routes up on Garmin Connect or re ride ones youve ridden in real life, and the trainer controls gradient resistance etc. You even follow the map on the map screen qhich is always fun to see if you can remember what the place was like when you rode it. ( I don’t suggeat re riding commutes though!)

molgrips
    Free Member

@molegrips Are there any mountain bike rides on rouvey?

Yeah. You don’t even need a mountain bike to do them 🙂

Doesn’t make much difference though really to the overall experience. It’s all about the scenery really to take your mind off the tedium of indoor training and give you something to look at.

rone

For me the best solo option is Rouvy.

No heard of this one. Thanks.

Does it need a net connection whilst riding? if you don’t want any social/net element?

molgrips
    Free Member

It does to stream the videos. I think you can pre-download the vids though, I can’t remember. I cancelled it because I could only afford one sub.

EDIT yes:

https://support.rouvy.com/s/article/ROUVY-WORKOUTS-How-to-use-Rouvy-offline?language=en_US

MSP

It’s all about the scenery really to take your mind off the tedium of indoor training and give you something to look at.

Yeah but that’s the point, I get bored just looking at road riding videos, I want some singletrack terrain to look at sometimes.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think TrainerRoad doesn’t need a live connection during the workout but it’s not the most engaging of it’s looking at scenery etc that you are after.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Benefit of a smart trainer is really limited if you’re not interested in Zwift or similar. You can do everything on a dumb trainer. You can simulate resistance by changing gear get all your data from a decent head unit..far better off investing in a power meter than a smart trainer as you’ll benefit from that when you’re out and about in the real world. I’m not doing anything on my smart trainer I couldn’t do on my dumb fluid trainer following training programmes from GCN or other sources. They’re nice and if you’ve got the cash then you might as well, but don’t expect anything special unless you want to take advantage of things like Zwift.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sufferfest get’s my vote as the best of the “not zwift” options.

Structured like trainer road, but a bit more varied. So rather than 8 minutes of FTP at 90rpm, it’ll include an 8-minute ‘climb’ with steep bits, false flats, breakaways etc to keep your attention.

But unless you use Zwift is there any point in a ‘smart’ trainer? Accuracy maybe, but then I’m quite happy that my dumb trainer is at least consistent. And most people find their power is different inside and outside anyway, so does it matter that the number on screen is +/-1% of a figure you can’t replicate in the real world anyway?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but that’s the point, I get bored just looking at road riding videos, I want some singletrack terrain to look at sometimes.

Well I am sure there’s singletrack. But there are so many routes in so many places on Rouvy that it doesn’t matter to me if it’s road or not. Because it’s real video you can look at the scenery, the vegetation, the houses, people, all sorts from all over the world. A bit like Google Earth tourism but whilst riding.

Loads of my local climbs are on there too so you you can share your local stuff with people. And you can make your own, including off-road. The algorithm doesn’t appear to care if you are on or off road.

But unless you use Zwift is there any point in a ‘smart’ trainer? Accuracy maybe, but then I’m quite happy that my dumb trainer is at least consistent.

Well an element of feedback is a good thing I think. I mean I can ride the Stelvio on Rouvy for example and it gives me a time, then if I ride harder next time I can be faster. You can achieve the same effect with a power meter, but it doesn’t vary the trainer resistance of course. However, personally I think having a direct drive trainer is a major benefit, and if you’re going to get one of those then a smart one isn’t that much more.

rone

I don’t think zwift is the be all and end all to things. Just like riding alone you can still want all the feedback and interactivity of riding but without the crowds.

piesoup
    Free Member

If he’s on PC, download Golden Cheetah, then you can download workouts on TrainerDay. Both are free. Golden Cheetah can control a smart trainer. Then use youtube or netflix for the entertainment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Offline ‘smart’ trainer options’ is closed to new replies.