Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Off to Grindelwald, Lugano and Lenzerheider any ideas for riding etc
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

Taking hardtails (Santa Cruz Chameleon and DDG Shooter) to Switzerland namely – Grindelwald and Lenzerheider and then we're heading down to Lugano. Any route suggestions. Cool places.

We're taking our van to sleep in. Any cool places to stay if you have been before???

We're gonna stay in the camp site at Grindelwald to start but we're also gonna look at wild camping there aswell.

We're veggie aswell so we're always looking out for cool places to eat!!!

RHSno2
    Free Member

Hi,

I had ridden in Lenzerheide ages ago for a day. Used lifts a bit and was great but can't help with where.

Grindlewald. Take the train from Lauterbrunnen uptowards Murren. there is an amazing trail that runs very close to the edge of the cliff, not too close though. Really, really good!

Go ask in shops in Interlaken to where to ride as the Lauterbrunnen shop was 'no…its private'. Get a map and explore though.
    Must be loads and loads of tech trails around.

BTW…Lauterbrunnen is my fav place in the world. Murren has THE best views of the 3 peaks and some stunning singletrack up high (but will be covered in snow still)

Lugano, I couldn't find much but didn't find spend much time or effort there. A local shop drew a map to a little lift not far away which was ok. Just go and ask everyone. Buy something in the shop also helps.

Good luck

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Second shout for Lauterbrunnen. Go to end of the valley and get cable car to Gimmelwald some amazing views to be had from singletrack there. The tourist office in Lauterbrunnen will give you maps. Also the campsite in Lauterbrunnen is amazing.
    The bike shop (can't remember the name) in Grindelwald rent out GPS units with loads of good routes, well worth a look…

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Cheers for that info guys really helpful. I'll deffo check out the site at Lauterbrunner aswell

I think we're gonna hit Murren aswell, looking at a few tracks around First aswell. Really psyched about the views. Heard there's all year round snowboarding possible, so I might hit some slushy snow on a board aswell.

I think we're gonna get a 5 day train pass and do a little walking aswell and then head south to Lugano and then up to Lenzerheider.

Looking at some kyaking on the two lakes nxt to Interlaken aswell. Might be fun.

Thanks guys!!

hainey
    Free Member

Grindlewald. Take the train from Lauterbrunnen uptowards Murren. there is an amazing trail that runs very close to the edge of the cliff, not too close though. Really, really good!

Seconded that.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Looks like I'll deffo do Murren.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Sounds like the makings of a great trip. Seeing as you seem to have ideas around Grindelwald (don't forget the N face of the Eiger has a great singletrack underneath it- just don't go when there are loads of walkers as I think there may be a voluntary restriction on bikes there though that was a while back) I'll try and give you some ideas about the east.

There is loads of good riding around and between Lenzerheide-Valbella-Arosa that can be lift and train (don't overlook how good the sbb is for this) assisted. This is fairly well known about and signed etc. Just to the west, Flims and Laax are also good with some more DH/bikepark oriented stuff, and to the West Kloesters and Davos have lifts and trains that will help you get the most out of the riding. Seeing as you're up this way the riding up the valleys to Vals (famous for Zumthor's baths) and Vrin is pretty quiet and fun, as are some of the places around Savognin and Berguen (though not ridden as much here). Although some areas are reasonably "developed" for tourism and riding- it is the alps after all- there are some really fantastic little side valleys and passes all around the Buendner area that are great for exploring. Get a copy of the relevant singletrail maps and follow them- for the best stuff stick to the black dotted lines.

Between there and Tessin, I'd want to check out the Engadin areas more before heading down through Bellinzona- some good steep technical riding along with the 'classic' Monte Tamaro nearby, and I imagine the stuff around the lakes down there will come with a nice Italian flavour- similar to Lago di Garda etc maybe.

My advice would be to get familiar with postbuses and trains and try to use them to link together routes you really fancy doing- some of the best things I've done around there involved heading out alone over passes onto stupidly long singletrack descents to remote summer pastures, climbing back out into another valley and a tiny station (where you press a buzzer if you want to get on the next train), getting loaded into open goods vans and riding it out to Chur with some via ferrata soloing mit meinem velo into the bargain- happy days. With a car you are a bit restricted to the roads sometimes. The singletrails maps are very useful if expensive too.

For inspiration and info on specific routes I'm not too sure (especially in English), but try some of the following perhaps…

swiss tourism site, ride (the (german) swiss bike mag), some of the german mags- they often have alpine routes in Switzerland, maybe this- not used it before but maybe handy, and there is one other great site that I can't remember with great reports and images to get you started- possibly this although the site looks to have been redesigned.

Have fun.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

There is more riding then you can shake a stick at in the Lenzerheide area. As Crouch_potato said make sure you include the larger area as its possible to ride between Davos, Arosa and Lenzerheide very easily on some amazing trails.

Its also worth noting that this year the Rothorn cable car in Lenzerheide and the highest lift to Weissfluhjoch in Davos are closed due to renovations. This takes out the main "classic" route in each of these resorts, but in both cases there is still heaps of riding. Don't be afraid to ride away from the lifts and use the Post buses and trains like Crouch_potato said.

Flims/Laax is only about 40m from Lenzerheide and Engadin is about from Lenzerheide. So many trails so little time.

50-60km days with about 500-1000m up and 6000+m down are just an average day out in these places. 🙂

RHSno2
    Free Member

I am jealous of what you are about to experience.

IF you are in Bern for a few hours the Gurten is worth playing on. Uplift and ACE fun track if you like a bit dh/Jumpy but everyone can ride it.

Schweiz
    Free Member

6000m – that's nothing!; You'll be needing the Bahnentour from Davos. 9700m of descent in 1 day.

(Apparantly there will be a chairlift accepting bikes to replace the 2nd section of the Parsennbahn from Panoramaweg – Weissfluejoch will be renovated this summer)

Would probably take the FS bike for that day though.

DavidM
    Free Member

I have got two weeks to get from Arosa to Ischgl this July, so this thread is good news. Crouch_potato, care to mention any specific valleys as I got the mpas out last week, and it looks like using the train could be awesome?

ir12daveor
    Free Member

6000m – that's nothing!; You'll be needing the Bahnentour from Davos. 9700m of descent in 1 day.
    Would probably take the FS bike for that day though.

That's old news. 😉

(Apparantly there will be a chairlift accepting bikes to replace the 2nd section of the Parsennbahn from Panoramaweg – Weissfluejoch will be renovated this summer)

Great stuff, I knew they were running the chair, but didn't know that they would accept bikes on it.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Thanks for some of that fab info!!! Will deffo use some of the advice. Psyched to use the trains and post buses.

I just wish i could take my DH Norco aswell as my HT santa cruz… oh well. It'll still be amazing!!

Has anyone camped around Lenzerheide??? We're hoping to hit a few spots where we can park our van for free but aim to do quite a few campsites aswell. The grindelwald and lauterbrunnen campsites look aswesome. Think I've found a decent one 3km outside Lugano.

seems to be a fair bit of rain there at the mo but Lugano seems to be stonkingly hot at the mo!!!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Thanks for some of that fab info!!! Will deffo use some of the advice. Psyched to use the trains and post buses.

I just wish i could take my DH Norco aswell as my HT santa cruz… oh well. It'll still be amazing!!

Has anyone camped around Lenzerheide??? We're hoping to hit a few spots where we can park our van for free but aim to do quite a few campsites aswell. The grindelwald and lauterbrunnen campsites look aswesome. Think I've found a decent one 3km outside Lugano.

seems to be a fair bit of rain there at the mo but Lugano seems to be stonkingly hot at the mo!!!

I've camped at the campsite in Lenzerheide. Its basic but functional and walking distance to the town if you are going to go for a few beers.
    http://www.reisen-tcs.ch/travel/de/home/camping/platzsuche/lenzerheide.html

The youth hostel in Lenzerheide is pretty good value during the summer too. I think we paid about 65CHF per person including evening meal and breakfast.

There is another one a little bit out the road in Lenz and one in Churwalden too. You'll be able to park the car and bike from all of them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Off to Grindelwald, Lugano and Lenzerheider any ideas for riding etc’ is closed to new replies.