Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Odd SS hub problem
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My SS has not been used for a few weeks, and when I picked it up last night the rear wheel was tight to turn. So I did some quick checks – Chain and brakes OK (Not tight/binding), freewheel fine. When I loostened off the QR the wheel span freely, tighten it up, all sticky again.

Now nothing had changed mechanically, so it’s nothing to do with spacers or anything like that, and I took it for a quick ride up and down the street, which didn’t loosten it off.

So whaddya reckon? Bearings siezing up?
    I’ve not had time for a full examination yet, but there’s no play in them…

Odd….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, the wheel could have been spinning on the QR when I loostened it off, I suppose.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds like siezed bearings (jetwashed after the last ride?)

nickc

What hub?

JoB
    Free Member

something’s wrong with the bearings, the tiny extra bit of force the tightened QR is putting om them isn’t to their liking

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Maybe get a proper mechanic to look at it; someone who knows what they’re doing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s an On-One hub, I only ordered the spokes on 09/07/08 and it took a week or two before I’d finished the wheels, so it’s not very old.
    It doesn’t get jetwashed, only hosed. And I didn’t wash it after the last couple of rides as it wasn’t very dirty….

Like I say, no play in the berings and they didn’t feel rough. That’s all it can be though, really, isn’t it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RB – I will. Me. Tonight.

😛

I’m just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas.
    🙂

IHN

Maybe this is why whoever it was put the hub in the skip in the first place 😉

JoB
    Free Member

in the old days of cup-and-cone hubs some would deliberately leave them with a little play in them off the bike so the extra tension of the tightened QR would snug them up ‘just so’

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IHN – How very DARE you.
    I bought this one brand new. The cheek.
    ;o)

Jo, yeah I remember those days….
    I’m not sure if the bearingas are spinning when I loosten the QR or not, or if the whole lot is just spinning on the QR.
    I’ll have to check that.

Do I need to remove the freewheel to get at the bearings?

I bet I do. I’m gonna need a tool for that, aren’t I?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Update-

No, you can take the bearings out without removing the freewheel.

And they are rogered. One won’t turn at all.

Not very good life considering they really haven’t been used all that much…
    But still, there’s only 2 to replace and I’ve just bought 10 for £5.35. Can’t see the point of spending £8 + p&p on a pair of better ones. I doubt they’ll last as long as 5 sets of cheapies, which should do me for nearly 3 years at this rate

Problem solved, thanks for the input chaps!
    😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Odd SS hub problem’ is closed to new replies.