october bike tour in the uk. nicest area?

Home Forum Bike Forum october bike tour in the uk. nicest area?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • october bike tour in the uk. nicest area?
  • Klunk

nicest or dryest 😉

bikebouy

Hmmmm.. nice.. plenty,
    try Wales. Start Ironbridge, head west to Church Stretton, Lake Bala, Dogalogaloo (Dolgellau) Barmouth, Aberdyfi, Nanty-Moch Reservoir, Elan Village, Ludlow then back to Ironbridge.

Been yonks since I’ve done that area, hope it’s just as stunning as it’s always been.

Do it in a day just for the hell of it. 😀

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

If you want dry come and try South Suffolk. (Watch it chuck it down now I’ve made the recommendation).

lesshaste

ncr/sustrans route 8. Angelsey to Chepstow or Cardiff. Fantastic varied route, can’t odds the weather though!

Markie

Sandwich has it!

We did a http://coolpedals.co.uk tour of Essex and Suffolk last autumn and absolutely loved it! Gorgeous countryside, quiet roads (passed by 4 cars over 4 days excluding the small bits of the tour where we were going through small towns!). It was ace!

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

We’re doing Kendal in October.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    🙂

Not camping though….

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

idea’s for a hopefully nice autumnal cycle tour somewhere in the uk?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

south suffolk sounds good. mrs loved southwold, would be nice for a nights stop.

bikebouy, that sounds good for me, but a bit tough for the mrs.

bikebouy

I’m nicking Markie’s Suffolk route !!

Me likeeee.

I’ll admit the route I chose was a bit “bumpy” but it’s quite stunning area that hardly anyone knows much about. One for the future mebbies.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

just watching antiques thing on bbc1. they are in suffolk, at constables house, looks lovely.

Markie

The route we were on went past the site of the haywain!

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

We’ve got a week off in October and have been trying to decide where to go. The weather is much dryer in the east so we were looking at the north York Moors. The tourist website says it is the “driest upland area in the country”. Also says there is lots of cake. There is also a nice looking cycle route along the coast.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Wester Ross in the Highlands if you don’t mind a few wee hills.

Good on or offroad.

Big-Bud

Want something eith spectacular scenary but easy enought for the mrs.try the caldonian canal route .sounds dull but isnt .

padkinson

I’ll put in another vote for Suffolk, purely out of excitement that my homeland has come up in a mountain bike forum! It is indeed the driest place in the UK, and very nice too (albeit not hilly). Dedham Vale and the Stour valley in general is the best area, although going north towards Lavenham and that is also very picturesque.

The South Downs, in the area between Winchester and Butser Hill has enough road routes with stunning views and pretty challenging climbs to keep most happy.

I’d love the prospect of cycling in the Dolgellau/ Machenllyth/ Bala area, with their higher categorised hills than the South Downs bit nearest me, but I would be a bit weary of doing it in October as autumn is in full flow.

Premier Icon Andy
    Subscriber

October? Purbecks should get good weather that time of year.

thecaptain

There isn’t good/bad area there is good/bad weather.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

thecaptain – Member
    There isn’t good/bad area there is good/bad weather.

We never have bad weather here in the Highlands..

It’s just good weather or “interesting” weather.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.