Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • octalink crank removal??? Any tips and tricks?
  • watsontony
    Free Member

Got a set of octalink cranks on a bike that i want off, I want to use them on my bike 🙁 i have got the drive side off using chainring leverage but i did have to soak the whole thing in wd-40 for a few days first.

I now have it soaking again but im wondering is there an easy way to take this off? i dont see how a crank pull would work either with the bb being hollow. So is it just down to letting it soak and leavering it off(also no real place to lever from on this side)

I cant ride the bike to loosen them either as i dont have enough parts for the build. I dont really want to whack it with a hammer as i want to use them.

How much would an lbs charge for me to make this their problem?

what tool is available for this?

Thanks
    lots
    Tony

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have you stripped the threads that the crank extractor screws into ?
    If you have use an auto motive puller or ball joint spliter

khani
    Free Member

A crank puller with two coins on the end to stop it going inside the axle..
    It’s been that long since I did one I can’t remember if its 1p or 5p coins, but whichever it is use two, if you use one it gets mangled up..

julianwilson
    Free Member

There is a crank pulling tool with a larger ‘plug’ in the middle that doesn’t get pushed down the hole in the middle. like this one. Years ago I got one from halfords which had a cap that comes on and off so you can do both square taper and isis/octalink/howitzer with the same tool but its not as nice or expensive as the park tools one.
    If you have a crank puller for square taper only, I have heard of it being done using a 5p piece to go over the hole in the spindle before you insert the tool. You will knacker the 5p though!

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not like it’s the latest top-of-the-range Campag BB…

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/bikes-and-tech/how-to-remove-campagnolo-power-torque-cranks_280400 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Incidentally, I have a domed head coach bolt that I stick in mine as I only happen to have a sq taper crank puller.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Power torque ” top of the range” ultra torque maybe

Keef
    Free Member

1p.
    5p too small……… 8)

kinda666
    Free Member

That’s only cuz you don’t want to wreck a 5p 😆

Beagleboy

You are remembering to undo the hollow 10mm bolt that’s in there? Then like the others say, a 1p used as a plug should do the job!

nick1962
    Free Member

My local lbs gave me a metal stud that you put in front the crank puller instead of the 1ps.He had a box of them and said that they used to come free with Octalink chainsets.

scaredypants

mine all came with self-extracting bolts, are you sure yours don’t ?

look a bit like this

madeupname
    Free Member

For postage and a bottle of beer you can borrow my octalink crank puller…

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/tools/tools-workshop/park-ccp-4-pipe-billet-crank-puller-octalink-isis.html

But it’s prob cheaper to buy one, or if you support your LBS they will prob do it for very little indeed…

mav12
    Free Member

Think mine was a fiver of ebay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘octalink crank removal??? Any tips and tricks?’ is closed to new replies.