Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Numpty Spinning question
  • Muke
    Free Member

Hello a bit of advice please,

I appear to of volunteered myself as part of a fund raising 8hr spinathon team. Now having never been on a spinning bike or to a gym for that matter I was told the spinning bike pedals are double sided flat with toe straps and spd style on the other side, is this true ?

toby1

It is indeed – spinning for a reasonable period I’m sure you’ll be fine, it’s like riding without the fun, well depending on the view of course 🙂

OmarLittle
    Free Member

they are like that in the gym i use

pjt201
    Free Member

the ones i have used are.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yep same pedals in the spinning class I go to. 8 hours of spinning…that is going to be hideously boring. Best of luck though 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Same at my gym.

Q factor is massive on them though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

All the pedals I’ve ever come across in gym classes have been like that.

Normally a shimano spd (offroad) style cleat is required.

EDIT: Sorry, speed reading. Didn’t spot that you were already specific about the spd fitting.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Q factor is massive on them though.

and not equal. ie one crank is further from centre than the other!

i use spd shoes but in the toe clip as the q factor twist my knee funny.

uplink
    Free Member

Take your own pedals and a spanner

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I don’t have to do the full 8 hrs myself only 2 hrs I think.

freddyg
    Free Member

Will it be done as a spin class or just pootling along?

If it’s a pootle, then it’ll be a doddle. If it’s a proper class, then have an iron lung and some crutches on-hand.

Muke
    Free Member

I’m told there will be an instructor at the front who will set the pace, in time with the music as well as flashing lights which signify different things like stand up, speed up, slow down etc. You can go along with this 😳 or just ignore them, whichever you prefer!

I plan to plod along at the back 😀

mogrim

I plan to plod along at the back

Until the music starts going, you start to get into it, and then about 45min in you’ll be dying… with another 1:15 to go 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Go all out you wimp! It’s possible to hit 20 calories a minute!

With fluid loss you could probably come out 5kg lighter.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The beauty of spinning classes is that you can make it is hard or as easy as you like.

There’ll be a few fit looking folk often in padded shorts and spd’s who’ll be on the point of vomiting while two teenage girls a couple of bike along have a chat about their plans for the weekend.

EDIT:

It’s possible to hit 20 calories a minute!

Possibly, but not for two hours it isn’t.

But yeah, you might as well go at it if you’re going to do it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

There’ll be a few fit looking folk often in padded shorts and spd’s who’ll be on the point of vomiting while two teenage girls a couple of bike along have a chat about their plans for the weeke

So true.

Wookster

Lol very true!!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

An 8hour spinathon you say? Hmm *gets ideas*

You’ll love it, fun imo and hard too – assuming you put some resistance on, unlike most of the women i see in spinning classes 🙄 Take in plenty of water plus a towel for the sweat.

I’ve done a spinning class in the studio where the aircon failed. It was like a sauna by the end – the mirrors had steamed up and i had a dehydration headache.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Spinning question’ is closed to new replies.