Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • from 29er back to 26er?
  • pete68
    Free Member

Anyone gone back to 26ers after trying a 29er? I seem to read that everyone loves their 29er and that there’s no going back, but surely some people have gone back. I mean after owning one not just a test ride.

rOcKeTdOg

it feels a bit weird going back but after about 10 minutes it was ok, prefered the 29er though as it feels like i’m sat in the bike rather than perched on one a little too small, i’ve got 2 262″ and haven’t ridden either of them for 18 months, been on 29″ exclusively

firestarter
    Free Member

I went back after three 29ers but now i have another 29er as I missed it , I do ride both tho

Picto
    Free Member

Run my 29er singlespeed and it is the bike I ride most. If I use gears I go back to my 26ers – takes a few minutes to get used to the smaller wheels. I did build a 29er with gears but it seemed wrong somehow.

tomlevell

Yes and I won’t be buying another one even though I loved it. Probably more to do with weighing 23lbs vs my 28lb singlepseed I came from.
    Both sizes ride like a bike but I prefer proper sized wheels.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I prefer proper sized wheels

Thats not particulary PC is it , you seem to be being “wheelist” there 😀
    What ever the size of wheel, just get out and ride.

clubber
    Free Member

I have both so ‘go back’ quite regularly. They feel a bit different but not in a bad way. People who claim that one or the other is the ‘one true way’ are pretty stupid IMO. They just suit different things and different people.

FWIW, if I didn’t keep breaking full sussers, I’d swap my 29er hardtail for a 26″ full susser. I haven’t yet tried a 29er FS yet, mind but they’re well overpriced at the moment so I’ve put that on hold for now.

singletracksurfer

I have ridden my SS 29’er (and CX) all winter and like RD says, you feel like you are sat in the 29’er and sat on top of the 26″.

My full sus & hardtail are still 26″ – that is until I make them all 29’ers this year … pending finance.

will keep one 26 for hard, jumpy, twisty, technical riding though.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Tried 26 after 12 months of 29, no thanks, like riding a BMX !
    Would never go back and never buying anything 26 again !
    😆
    29 is the way forward, watch this space (oh and the US market oh and race results with 29er’s winning everywhere and brands making more 29’s FS and HT blah blah the list goes on and on) 😆

Soon you will be treated different if you ride with kids 26″ wheels

🙄

69er
    Free Member

I can’t make my mind up 😉

rOcKeTdOg

actually i’d really like to try a 69er, but frames seem rare! 🙁

CheesybeanZ

actually i’d really like to try a 69er, but frames seem rare

456 frame GVFM and loads about 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

I sold my 29er as I needed the money quickly. Now I could afford a bike again I could only really afford a 26er. Much preferred the 29er and will be getting an on-one carbon one as soon as I have some money…

epicyclo

I hung on to my good 26″ just in case. It’s somewhere at the bottom of the pile several years later.

takisawa2

it feels like i’m sat in the bike rather than perched on one a little too small,

…absolutley hit the nail on the head there rocketdog, and it wasnt till I just read that I realised. Done maybe a dozen rides on the 29er now, was holding back on making a judgement but the other night it kind of just clicked into place, and that quote is exactly it for me.
    Just put my 26″ ss frame up for sale. Planning to retain my 26″ FS (Ventana El-Ciclon), but downgrade some of the kit on it & call it the “Wifes” bike. 😉
    Its not going to get much use, to be honest, probaly the odd day out in Wales. Cant bear to get rid of it. 😕

rocketdog…I ran my 26″ with the 29″ forks & 26″ wheel & loved it. Felt nicely balanced. With 26″ rigids the front felt too low for me. Then tried 29″ wheel to see how it rode. Not good. Made the head angle very slack, & coupled with the bigger wheel the steering felt very slow. Guess if the frame was designed for 69er’ing might not have bneen so bad.
    Wife reckons my 29er Inbred is the nicest looking bike I’ve had. 😕

clubber
    Free Member

it feels like i’m sat in the bike rather than perched on one a little too small,

Thing is I know what you mean here too but I don’t really see that as a negative thing just different. My main 26″ bike I think is inherently more fun/faster feeling/more twitchy but my 29er has an inherent confidence (not about being slower, just feels more ‘capable’) that means I do sillier things on it which in turn is really fun.

takisawa2

Can I ask, how tall are some of you ?

5’9″ here, on 18″ 29er Inbred. Initially thought it might be a tad too big but fits great. With 26er frames I’ve always found 16″ frames probably bit small, but 18″ versions a bit big.

clubber
    Free Member

6’5″ XL Singular Swift

yossarian
    Free Member

i’m 5 ft 10 on a large swift which sounds wrong but it fits just fine. Am buying a fs trail bike in the next few weeks and will likely be going for a 26″ rather than a 29er.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

6ft 4″ on L (19.5) swift

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

5’9″ here
    29er for long spinny sat in the saddle rides.
    26er for blasting tight woodland trails, log hops and generally pratting around.

69er
    Free Member

6’4″ here
    19.5″ 69er for everything 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

6′ on a 19.5 O-O Ti 29er.

rOcKeTdOg

clubber – Member

Thing is I know what you mean here too but I don’t really see that as a negative thing just different. My main 26″ bike I think is inherently more fun/faster feeling/more twitchy but my 29er has an inherent confidence (not about being slower, just feels more ‘capable’) that means I do sillier things on it which in turn is really fun.

wasn’t meant to be negative, but biking for me isn’t about out and out performance and speed, comfort over long distance and good handling are more my wants from a bike and (i’ll admit i’ve only ridden Singular 29ers so can’t comment on others) 29ers fit the bill completely

6ft 2″ on large Swift and Pegasus

and glad to be of service takisawa, “wifes bike” indeed! 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘from 29er back to 26er?’ is closed to new replies.