Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Nukeproof mega 2013 creaking
  • svalgis
    Free Member

I’ve recieved and built up the frame now and I have a slight but definitely noticable play somewhere in the rear triangle, most apparent if I grap the wheel or seatstay and wiggle them by hand. I also get some very slight creaking while riding which I guess (hope) is related. Do others with the creaking also experience this play, or is it a whole other issue?

All linkage bolts are tight. I’ve emailed CRC to see what they have to say about it but would love some input in the meantime.

Most importantly; do you reckon it’s safe to ride it in the meantime?

rab5474
    Free Member

The upgraded parts kit that crc sent me stopped all proplems of creaking / play, i also popped all bearing seals and gace them some fresh grease at the same time

svalgis
    Free Member

Good to hear. I realised that I had missed the chainstay/seatstay bolts, which were just a little bit loose – when I did them up, the play temporarily disappeared (but came back again during a ride). I guess that will keep it in check until I get the replacement parts.

Fantastic frame otherwise. 🙂

tops5
    Free Member

Mine arrived last week not got round to fitting em yet – do I need a press or owt?

rab5474
    Free Member

No need for a press mate tho they can be a bit of a pain

gt900uk
    Free Member

Are the chainstay/seatstay pivots assembled dry? It’s just a metal and poly bush so I don’t think anything is required. Mine developed play there, replacement parts are fitted and problem gone for just now.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

The chainstay/seat stay need to be installed dry without grease. I was informed by hotlines the grease will eat away at the polymer layer to the bushings. As folks are saying that tightening the bolts to the correct torque setting is stopping the movement/noise I’m thinking my torque wrench is wrong.

stcolin
    Free Member

Noticed that my TR has the creaking on last nights ride, just around 2 weeks in of ownership. Will contact CRC and get this upgrade kit.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve got an annoying creak around the bb on my new mega am frame too. Did people get it when pedalling/putting power down? I’ve stripped and greased pedals and bb, will replace the bb this week too. If that and checking the pivots doesn’t solve it, I’ll get in touch with crc.

Also, a slightly different issue – how loud is the monarch plus shock on everyone’s frame? Mine seems to make a lot of noise on compression (sounds like air/fluid pushing through at high speed). It seems to work ok but I’m sure it clonks slightly on rebound too.

Alex

My AM doesn’t creak and the shock is pretty much silent. Not sure if this helps! It’s done about 500km since late feb and I’ve checked the torque a few times on all the pivots, but no issues. I do have a whole spare set of bearings/axles/hardware etc for the alps but decided against pulling it apart because I didn’t want to introduce issues that aren’t there today.

See if it creaks after a week being thrown down big mountains. Probably less than me 😉

barffy
    Free Member

I’ve had the crack/knock noise on mine and it was the shock bushing. Changed em and not a peep since.

stcolin
    Free Member

CRC are sending me the bushing kit this week. I’ll report back on my findings! It’s a bloody good bike this…

svalgis
    Free Member

Probably a daft question as everyone else seem to have figured it out, but how do you remove the old bushings and install the new ones?

gt900uk
    Free Member

I used a small socket to drive the metal bushing out then a drift to knock the plastic sections out.

svalgis
    Free Member

Thanks. I ended up using sockets and that worked out okay. The creaking persisted though, which I finally managed to cure just the other day by greasing up the rear maxle (which I had used completely dry up to then). So I probably never had a problem with the bushings to begin with… Oh well, all quiet now!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Update on my creaking. All quiet since greasing up my rear maxle!

Also, the suspension ‘clunk’ I had which I thought might be pivots or the shock turned out to be a sticking SRAM clutch mech.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Has anyone still got this creaking noise or any updates on how you got rid of it.
    Cheers

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Anyone, your input would be appreciated.

svalgis
    Free Member

Well, what’s your situation? Have you tried new bushings and greasing the rear maxle? For a while I also experienced more of a squeeky sound, after getting rid of the creaking, which was fixed by greasing the suspension pivot bolts (they were all installed dry which seemed a little odd to me).

rab5474
    Free Member

My knocking has returned 🙁 any one else had it return?

tops5
    Free Member

Warranty bushes sorted mine, thought it had returned but was a cracked freewheel. Frame has been silent ever since bushes

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

I’ve replaced bushings, bearings, shock mounts and correctly torqued up the bolts. I’m suspecting its the monarch that’s at fault waiting on a ccdb inline to turn up to prove me correct! Just interested to hear if anyone has found a definite fix for this. Not tried greasing up the maxle but mine always has some chain lub on it. Does everyone who has the creak/knock have a clutch mech? Could that be the potential cause, this is my first clutch mech. Cheers.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Update. Mine is now fixed. Shock was the issue. Replaced with ccdb air. Vast improvement over the monarch.

rab5474
    Free Member

Mine has movement in the rear triangle has returned again, tried everything, different shock as well. Now onto crc for replacrment / refund

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Have you upgraded the bearings. The nukeproof ones are supposed to be shite. Hopefully you get a fix for yours and mine doesn’t develop that noise again.

rab5474
    Free Member

I got the chainstay pivot upgrade kit, that cured it for a while, what bearings need upgrading, i’m assuming all pivots?

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

The main bearing set, I’ve had mine all replaced but with nukeproof ones. Some folks recommend others as the nukeproof ones are not particularly good quality. My main pivot ones were seized causing some notchiness in the travel. Also had the chainstay pivot bushings replaced as these are seen as the weakest pair on the frame.

toys19
    Free Member

This is ominous, I have just bought a mega tr frame. I wonder if CRC have sorted them out or if I should just send it back before things get ugly..

gunners1
    Free Member

So, figured out my creaking and cracking sounds by replacing the bearings with enduro bearings and things are allot smoother. Wouldn’t go with nukeproof bearings again as they all ceased up pretty quickly, say 7-8 months.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’ve got major play in my rear triangle. Going to strip it down tonight and also fit the replacement bushing kit I never got around to fitting. I have noticed that the rear shock moves side to side on the bottom bushing by 1-2mm. Not impressed with the build quality.

CrispyCSW

Reviving this thread, as I’m replacing the chainstay assembly on my TR. Can anyone advise how you remove / replace the pivot pin / bearings?

BoardinBob

I was stuck with that too. Could not for the life of me work out how to get it out.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Easy, now that I’ve done it likely about five times now. Flip bike upside down, rear wheel off, loosen the screw, chap the the screw lightly to loosen the bolt and remove. Once out you can pull the frame apart and clean. Reassembling is a wee bit tricky you just need to realign it correctly to get the new chainstay pivot bolts in. Both sides can be done in 5 mins.

CrispyCSW

As there’s a screw on both sides, does it matter which side / screw you tap from, or will the pin come out in either direction?

toys19
    Free Member

Mine has creaked like a bastard from day one. Awaiting response from CRC.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve just received my bush kit from CRC, does anyone have a drawing that shows where they go? Thanks

JEngledow
    Free Member

Ignore my last question, I’ve just found THIS which seems to answer it nicely!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Hmm, my Mega TR creaks slightly when seated only. That what others are experiencing or when stood too? First FS for me so just assumed nievely maybe that it was just part of everything moving :-/

Grease time then.

gazman428
    Free Member

I got my local shop to ring hotlines, and they denyed any knowledge of this or an upgrade kit. I ended up greasing the seat stay pivots and all has been fine since.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I got my local shop to ring hotlines, and they denyed any knowledge of this or an upgrade kit. I ended up greasing the seat stay pivots and all has been fine since.

Can you just remove covers for that or do you need to strip them?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof mega 2013 creaking’ is closed to new replies.