Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Nukeproof ARD Tyre Insert
  • endurokid
    Free Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know when CRC will have these back in stock, or if there is any other retailer that holds stock?

My online search has been unsuccessful.

Need 27.5.

Thanks

marksnook
    Free Member

You specifically want the Nukeproof one? I only say as a company from Bristol called rimpact make them. They are £35 a pair with valves! Bargain I thought

endurokid
    Free Member

I have been looking at the ARD specifically as I like the shape. It looks like it would offer more rim protection than the likes of Huck Norris, etc…

The Vittoria Air Liner and Cush Core seem expensive, essentially when the’d do the same job as the ARD, which is half the price.

Good shout on the Rimpact though. I’ll have a look.

mark90
    Free Member

https://www.rimpactmtb.com

At that price I’d certainly give them a go if I was going for inserts. The lads who developed them are pretty handy riders so the inserts should be up to hard riding.

endurokid
    Free Member

On the Rimpact subject, has anyone used, or is currently using them?

marksnook
    Free Member

No but I plan to be! A mate said they will be at Malvern classic this year setting them up but that’s a while to wait! They have a few how to guides by the looks of things so should be fairly easy? Famous last words..

endurokid
    Free Member

I’ll have a look on YouTube later for install videos etc..

I’m holding fire on ordering my new wheels as I want inserts first, so if the Nuke are out of stock I might go for these as they look really good, and reasonably priced too, especially with valves.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

In stock at Pearce Cycles in Ludlow.

endurokid
    Free Member

Dilwyn, do you have a link as I can’t seem to find them?

Cheers

andybrad

I think cycle factory in tod had some.

endurokid
    Free Member

Pulled the trigger on Rimpact. Was chatting to Matt over email last night and I was really impressed with his service. Can’t fault the price, £35 with valves.

Also ordered some Halo Vortex wheels so this should be a killer combo.

On the wheels subject, I now have a pair of Hope 35W on Pro 4 hubs (27.5), so if anyone is interested hit me up 🙂

1timmy1
    Free Member

Please do report back on how they are. I’m interested in getting an insert for the rear.

spev

Hotlines say end of Jan 2019

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

If those rimpact are anything like the panzer tyre insert (which they look to be) then they were a pain to fit but seemed to work well, not had a puncture yet.

endurokid
    Free Member

Not fitted yet, but expecting a little hassle.

Hoping to get them on this week.

endurokid
    Free Member

Ok. So I’m waiting for a rear tyre so only fitted the front, but what a doddle. Probably 10 minutes from start to finish with no swearing.

Tyre went on easy with no need for any soapy water (Minion 2.5 WT).

100 psi in the inflator (normally 160) and slowly controlled the flow. Tyre popped first time. Happy days.

Rimpact valves are nice too. Well thought out.

Hoping my rear tyre arrives soon for a NYE ride so I can start playing with pressures.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Are the Rimpact valves specific to their rim protector? I.e. could you use Stans valves?

endurokid
    Free Member

Not sure if you can use other valves to be honest.

The Rimpact valves are slightly different. As the insert sits on top of the valve normal valves would get clocked as air couldn’t pass, but the Rimpact are different, as air exits the valve from the side by 3 to 4 holes, if that makes sense. Check the website, you’ll see what I mean. The valves are nice. 10 times better than the Uberbike valves they’ve replaced.

1timmy1
    Free Member

That makes sense, I think I am going to give them a go too.

endurokid
    Free Member

Ok. So rear wheel done. Again, 10 minutes max from all bits to fully inflated. Fitted the new tyre (Maxxis DHR WT 2.4) then insert. Tyre went on easy (Halo wheels) and seated first time. Again, inflator at 100 psi and air flow controlled.

As far as fitting goes I’d 100% recommend them.

First ride tomorrow so hoping for trouble free riding.

I think these inserts will provide great tyre support, and play a massive part in stopping dents & dings.

For £35 all in (plus postage) I’m happy.

1timmy1
    Free Member

That’s good to know, mine have been shipped today 🙂

endurokid
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on mate.

marksnook
    Free Member

That’s good to hear they are easy to fit. I imagined a nightmare getting a tyre on with them. Better eat some ordered then!

endurokid
    Free Member

Wasn’t hard, just a little more fiddly.

You do get fitting instructions but I did it my own way.

I just fitted the tyre to the rim, fitted the insert then seated the other bead. As the insert provides more support the tyre bead hooks the rim better so inflating first time is a doddle. Mine went up without using any soapy water.

legbacon
    Free Member

I installed Rimpact in tires that were already mounted. It was as easy as installing a tube. Hopefully they aren’t too soft to do any good.

jonnyrockymountain

I spoke with rimpact the other day regarding my rims/tyres as there 29 inserts are for 25-35 rims and 2.3-2.5 tyres, my crest rims are 23 and run 2.25 tyres, they told me they are currrntly testing and should be available February some narrower inserts for more xc set ups, very helpful guy, thanks

joelm76
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up about these, my Huck Norris setup needs replacing so I’ve ordered the Rimpacts, I’ll see how they go, but for the price they seem pretty good!

700pirate
    Free Member

Is the foam closed cell? Interesting. Im still on procore. No issues since sept just have to do everything twice when it comes to the dual chamber system. It does lose air. Even the inner tube. few psi per day.

Trying to get on halo’s site and the shop is offline 🙁

endurokid
    Free Member

Yes, they’re closed cell are are one bonded unit.

Do you run Halo wheels?

I’ve just fitted the Halo Vortex, and they felt insanely strong yesterday running the Rimpact and Minion 2.4 / 2.5 WT combo. And not to mention that freehub sound 🙂

Was running about 25PSI but might experiment with lower pressures.

700pirate
    Free Member

Halo site is back up. Just ordered some. Any WT rubber and 30mm ID rims at 90kg im usually 20psi-22f 25R. I will try the insert with these. The Rimpact looks soft but they seem large enough to really cover up the tyre beads under compression.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I wonder what’s the difference in behaviour between ARD and Rimpact, as Rimpact fills more volume in the tyre…I’m torn between the two systems but not sure which way to go.

legbacon
    Free Member

I had a chance to try out Rimpact yesterday, and it did seem to protect my rim. I dropped the pressure of my 2.35 Hans Damph 2 from 25 to 22psi and the increased root traction was noticeable. I did hit a few rocks on the way down and didn’t feel any rim strikes. I plan to play around with pressure and some high speed descending if the weather cooperates.

Alex

Similar. 32mm American Classic wheels. Now they’ve gone bust I want to keep them going as long as possible. I really like the wide lightenings. I’m fitting 2.5 and 2.35 new tyres onto these rims.

Mate has cushcore. Seems to work but blimey they were a nightmare to fit and the one day we had to put a tube in…… well let’s just say I never want to do that again!

deanfbm
    Free Member

Few rides in on a pair of rimpacts, feel pretty good, installed for support without going to dh tyres, seem to be doing the trick.

qwerty
    Free Member

I appreciate there are loads of variables at play here, but as a snapshot, once fitted, how much do you drop your PSI by?

1timmy1
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, will install them when my new tyre is delivered and hopefully try them out at the weekend.

Alex

Turned up, fitted with some lovely new Schwalbe rubber. My mate reckons they aren’t has hard to install as CushCore but still requires a bit of effort. Might have helped if we’d read the instructions.

Going to start with my normal tyre pressures and see how we get on. It’s a big loop of Brechfa tomorrow so plenty of time for faffing. Shall report back.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Just installed mine, had trouble with the new tyre when I got near the end of getting all the bead on. Pushing the bead into the well of the rim all the way round to give some slack helped and meant no tyre levers were needed. Also tested taking it back out and it is easy enough so could be done on the trail if a tube is needed. Hopefully first ride on them tomorrow.

wukfit
    Free Member

Re the Rimpact valves…
    Does anyone know if the cores are removable? (Can’t see it anywhere on the website) or do they not advise adding sealant that way?
    I’ve never got on with removing bead and pouring it in

Alex

Ride done. Black and Red at Brechfa Forest. That’s a big ride, not super rocky but lots of different surfaces – roots, hardback, pud, few rocks, etc.

Previous setup American Classic Wide Lightenings (32mm external) with Maxxis DHR 2.5 (Front) and DHF 2.4 (rear). Both WideTrail. Ran 23 front, 21 rear mostly. More when it was rockier.

New setup. Same wheels. Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 (should have been a 2.5 but wrong one sent and I’m impatient so I went with it) Orange Stripe, Hans Damf 2.35 Blue Stripe. Started 23/21 as well.

Definitely more support with the Rimpact inserts in there. Tyres felt too hard. Dropped them and kept dropping them until they were on that sweet spot between not floppy but plenty grippy. Ended up at 19 rear and 17 front.

There is definitely something about damping. That bike (my RipMo) is very good at damping trail buzz but I think these add something. They certainly make the tyres feel tough even at low pressures. Didn’t notice any increase in weight but the new tyres are lighter than the Maxxis pair.

I need to ride some more obviously. No one had any punctures today so it’s hard to know if they offered anything there. A ride down the Gap would be a better test. So far tho, happy with the experiment. I just need to find a 2.5 magic mary!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof ARD Tyre Insert’ is closed to new replies.