Nukeproof ARD Tyre Insert

• This topic has 52 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by  Alex.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Nukeproof ARD Tyre Insert
  • wukfit

Re the Rimpact valves…
    Does anyone know if the cores are removable? (Can’t see it anywhere on the website) or do they not advise adding sealant that way?
    I’ve never got on with removing bead and pouring it in

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

The cores are removable. I think the horizontal ports on the valve that sit under the rimpact insert are too small to let any sealant flow through. Definately not stans race stuff anyway.

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Ride done. Black and Red at Brechfa Forest. That’s a big ride, not super rocky but lots of different surfaces – roots, hardback, pud, few rocks, etc.

Previous setup American Classic Wide Lightenings (32mm external) with Maxxis DHR 2.5 (Front) and DHF 2.4 (rear). Both WideTrail. Ran 23 front, 21 rear mostly. More when it was rockier.

New setup. Same wheels. Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 (should have been a 2.5 but wrong one sent and I’m impatient so I went with it) Orange Stripe, Hans Damf 2.35 Blue Stripe. Started 23/21 as well.

Definitely more support with the Rimpact inserts in there. Tyres felt too hard. Dropped them and kept dropping them until they were on that sweet spot between not floppy but plenty grippy. Ended up at 19 rear and 17 front.

There is definitely something about damping. That bike (my RipMo) is very good at damping trail buzz but I think these add something. They certainly make the tyres feel tough even at low pressures. Didn’t notice any increase in weight but the new tyres are lighter than the Maxxis pair.

I need to ride some more obviously. No one had any punctures today so it’s hard to know if they offered anything there. A ride down the Gap would be a better test. So far tho, happy with the experiment. I just need to find a 2.5 magic mary!

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Defo removable. I used JRA milk in mine and didn’t have an issue getting it through the small holes in the Rimpact valves. Stans may be thicker?

wukfit

Cheers guys,
    thought they would be removable, but wasn’t sure about the horizontal holes and wether they’d clog or not
    Currently using standard stans fluid

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

I think regular stans will go through. Race version plugs normal valves. Even clogs even the stans syringe.

I will mount mine up tomorrow. Halo Vortex and 2.5 DD shorty/DHF. 18-20 to start.

Premier Icon downhilldave
    Subscriber

“Alex” just for balance my Cushcore took around fifteen minutes the pair to fit and went up with just a track pump. The Maxxis tyres were used so maybe made it a little easier. Heard they may be difficult to remove.
    Had plenty of experience with Metzler Six-Days tyres tho.

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

@downhilldave – removing was the real problem. My mate has some lovely Syntace carbon rims. They are *very* tight on the bead tho. He had a tyre failure – split right in the bead and we couldn’t plug it. Took us a long time to get the tyre off.

50% I reckon was the rims, 50% the fact the cushcore was filling the gap so we couldn’t get any meaningful pressure on the tyre. It’d be interesting to see if the Rimpact (which he reckons are bit more compliant) would be the same on his rims.

We were talking about this last night; is it better to have a cushcore type setup that might be a PITA to remove on the trail against a far greater chance of not needing too because it’s protected your rims and tyres. I’m going for the latter, but time will tell.

How’s the testing going?

1timmy1

I’ve only managed 1 short night ride so far and also changed my front tyre at the same time as installing the Rimpacts. New front tyre + lower pressures = loads of grip. I have more peace of mind now about if I puncture on a descent (which has happened twice) that my rim will be ok when I stop at the bottom. I will update when I have spent more time on my bike.

Great thanks, I’m debating on ARD or Rimpact, dunno which one to get..

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Four rides on the Rimpact now. Around 150km. Two in the FoD, 1 Malverns, 1 Brechfa as posted previously. Malverns is rocky in places and the wheels feel indestructible (famous last words). As I said before, it could be placebo, it could be that it’s a new front tyre, it could be great conditions or a combination of all those things, but I do feel I can notice something.

I’ve not smashed a wheel yet where I’d expect to get a puncture so I ca’t comment on that. But they do seem very ‘supportive’. And Matt from Rimpact is very helpful if you’ve got any questions.

So far, fit and forget, gives me some ‘insurance’ for rubbish lines and *might* offer a bit of a performance upgrade.

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Oh I’ve settled on 19psi front, 21 rear so down 2 PSI on my previous tyres. Again tho, not likely to make any difference, but this feels like the sweet spot.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.