• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • NS Eccentric Cromo
  • Pyro

Anyone got one and fancy commenting on how you find it? Reviews are a bit thin on the ground, one from EnduroMTB and one from STW, very few user comments.

Spec is here, I’m close to pushing the button on one, looks good value, only glaring upgrade would be the cranks and BB from the PowerSpline BB to an X-Type or whatever you call a 2-piece crankset these days…

honourablegeorge

That crank looks quite modern, be surprised it it was a splined BB in there.

Pyro

It’s a Truvativ Descendant PS, apparently, so yeah, a splined 3-piece crankset.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If the back end is welded on straight (had 3 mk2 27.5 frames all welded together out of wack) then pretty decent. The welds themselves were neat and well done, the frame looked good, rode well with decent geometry. I gave up after the third frame as they were all the same, so can only assume it was an entire batch/year/design feature! 😀

Unless they have improved of late, If you’re used to tough paint finishes like you get from the big established brands, these are not as durable. Was as if the clear coat hadn’t been baked properly and was soft.

Pyro

Noted, cheers Chester. Think I’ve still got some heli tape lying around, sounds like it could be useful.

ogri
    Free Member

My brother owns one which is straight and has been trouble free.I spent a Sunday morning on it when I was in between bikes (as it were) and it was great.So much more forgiving than my ally HT and a bit of a looker.In fact,ever since that ride I’m fighting the impulse buy a steel HT myself.

psycorp
    Free Member

I have one. Can’t comment on the full bikes as I build all mine myself, but my frame is very well made, lovely to ride and look at. I posted a video on YouTube a while back with a few thoughts and a closer look at some of the frame details.

csb

Very fun looking bike that, proportions are lovely.

kerley
    Free Member

It’s a Truvativ Descendant PS, apparently, so yeah, a splined 3-piece crankset.

That crankset uses a GXP external BB bottom bracket. It is not a spline 3 piece crankset.

jabbi
    Free Member

I’ve had an Eccentric for a couple of years now, it’s a well built frame, rides well and looks good, I built mine from a frame, so can’t comment on the spec. Not the lightest, but no steel 29er is going to be!

lovewookie

I had one for a short while. ran it with 29 x 2.4, 30mm rims and a 150mm fork and mostly xt kit.

Looks IMO, really nice.

I found it a bit of a beast. It was heavy and quite sluggish, or maybe just slow feeling. strava told me it was very quick bike on flowy tech and downhill. For me, it was quite short too. if you’re used to long bikes, the NS is not one of them, it’s kinda average, or nu-average..
    Also for me, 150mm on a 29er hardtail is too much fork. Your legs take a lot of the beating from the speed you can take a 150mm forked bike through rough stuff. I found it quite distracting and unbalanced.

However, for what it’s for it’s great, it just didn’t suit my riding.

theturl

Ditto lovewookie really, I had the 29er retro looking version with whitewall tyres. It looked fantastic but it was a really heavy build and felt sluggish to ride, despite that though it gained me some PB’s on Strava segments which was really surprising. It must have been 38 pounds plus. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon now which is much better for me personally.

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks lovely. Bet it flies downhills if you have the skills and like hardtails dh.Should be good at the bikepark too, despite those wagon wheels.

Pyro

For me, it was quite short too. if you’re used to long bikes, the NS is not one of them, it’s kinda average, or nu-average.

Cheers, noted. To be honest, I’m not used to long-low-slack geometry at all (current hardtail is a carbon XTC) so looks like this might be a good first foray into it. Likewise, I’m not expecting it to be light (see note about carbon XTC) so it’s just a thing of trying something different.

funkmasterp

I’m fighting the impulse buy a steel HT myself.

Don’t fight it. Give in and buy one of the eighteen bikes frames then post photos of it on here for me to look at 👍🏼

jlawie
    Free Member

Used to have one.

Loved it….but my aging knees didn’t

sirromj

I was looking at them a couple of years back to build up, but couldn’t find them frame only, and went with a Bird Zero TR as I decided frame material probably wasn’t that important to me in actuality, steel was more curiosity.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In fact,ever since that ride I’m fighting the impulse buy a steel HT myself.

*Not stealth ad*

Buy my FastForward. It’s in the classifieds now…

Pyro

Coming back to this a while later just in case anyone’s interested:

Bought the Eccentric. Newer geometry might take a little while to get used to, but then again so will riding on flats after 20+ years on clips, so it’s all a learning curve.

Really liking the bike so far, it’s pretty basic spec but it’s all working so far. Going from 2x to 1x feels a little weird, but 11-50 cassette means I’m not losing anything on the uphill end of the range. It’s slower uphill as I expected – steel, heavier, slacker compared to the older carbon hardtail – but noticeably quicker down: first ride out I knocked 10 seconds off my PB for a segment that normally took me ~1:30. Not too bad.

Set it up tubeless immediately with Effetto rim strips and Caffelatex, no problems getting the tyre/rim settled, went up just with a track pump. Swapped the grips out after a couple of ride, just a bit thin for my personal preference, but otherwise pretty

Only negative – as I suspected and commented on at the start – is that it definitely is a 3-piece splined crankset as the spec on their website says. Had my first instance of a loose crank last night, fortunately had an 8mm allen key on my multitool.

Best thing is the black glittery paint job 🙂

VanHalen

i had a 26/27.5er version for 2 years and it was mint (set up 26er with a 150 fork limited to about 130 mm travel with some extra bottom out bumpers)

paint was crap but i didnt care, but neither did the gits that nicked it unfortunately….

bootsy

Late to the poarty as ever! I bought the Eccentric cromo frame last year after selling my Orange P7 29. The P7 was a heavy and sluggish and a bit of a punisher, the Eccentric built up with the same parts was significantly lighter, more responsive and way more comfortable. I’m running 140mm fox forks, hunt trail wide wheels, xt drivetrain and brakes. Just changed to Maxxis DHR/Shorty tyres for the winter which are heavier than the Nic/Mary combo running previously but just got fed up with the Nics thin sidewalls and too many snake punctures. Massive wheelbase, strong, light and stable and it looks fantastic in metallic green. I really enjoy the Eccentric and I’m sure you will too Pyro. Good luck and happy trails!

jabbi
    Free Member

Here’s mine at the moment, love this bike! https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Ktfj8PvaywWxhcX6

bone_idle
    Free Member

I have the 650B eccentric, I think its as good as any of the steel hardtails out there and the ride is feel is so forgiving.

Its on ebay if anyone is interested, the reason being since I bought an ebike I have not even looked at it so im going to make some space and sell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-NS-Eccentric-Cromo-Steel-hardtail-Like-Stanton-Privee-Cotic-/323923491356

Pyro

Mine in the flesh, out for a few hours in the N Yorks Moors yesterday – first bike I’ve ever had that suits skinwalls…

Feels very different to my other bikes, especially with draggier tyres and a heavier frame, but if all else fails it’ll be good winter strength training. Just need a few position tweaks, think a riser might suit a little better than the current flat bar. As someone said earlier in the thread, doesn’t actually feel that ‘long’.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘NS Eccentric Cromo’ is closed to new replies.