Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)
  • Notre-Dame a blaze
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

🥴

Smudger666

Something like this was bound to happen. I had a hunch.

funkmasterp

Police Nationale have released an artists impression of the suspect

His face rings a bell

Richie_B

aP if you’re around what’s the French for “Who’s name is on the hot works permit?”

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Ever get the feeling that the one true god ain’t too happy with all these kiddy fiddlers and charlatans dressed in freemason costumes using the threat of eternal omnipresence for their own evil ends?

Hmmm

handybar
    Free Member

I’ve been listening a lot to St Dominics Preview by Van Morrison today, which namechecks Notre-Dame cathedral.
    That would be a spooky coincidence were it not for the fact I listen to that song pretty much every day.
    Looks like the spire has collapsed now too.

mefty
    Free Member

A building dating back 850 years is being destroyed, spire gone, roof gone – devastating.

Drac

Sad stuff visited there as 12 year old school kid and was amazed.

handybar
    Free Member

Looks completely gutted. Huge fire.

leffeboy

the video of the fire seems to show just one hose (from the view the camera has) and I can’t imagine it making the slightest different.  The fire is huge

BoardinBob

Ever get the feeling that the one true god ain’t too happy with all these kiddy fiddlers and charlatans dressed in freemason costumes using the threat of eternal omnipresence for their own evil ends?

doris5000

just watched a clip of the main spire collapsing.

so sad :/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe just once you could give it a rest, JHJ.

Drac

God of renovation.

slowoldman

That’s awful.

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … 😱

franksinatra

In not a fan of church but I am a big fan of church buildings. The loss of Notre Dame is an absolute tragedy. So much history just gone up in smoke.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Ever get the feeling that the one true god ain’t too happy with all these kiddy fiddlers and charlatans dressed in freemason costumes using the threat of eternal omnipresence for their own evil ends

The Masons were anticlerical and hated by churches the world over.

handybar
    Free Member

At least one of the rose windows has gone.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

In not a fan of church but I am a big fan of church buildings. The loss of Notre Dame is an absolute tragedy. So much history just gone up in smoke.

To be honest, with all the technology we have these days, AI, thermal imagers, fire supression systems etc – it surprises me that national treasures still burn to the ground.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Thoughts go out to the French. Must be very upsetting to see one of their iconic buildings burning like this. Hopefully no one was injured.

chewkw
    Free Member

The company doing the renovation should be prosecuted 😒

granny_ring

Very sad news.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well and truly **** now isn’t it, that’ll cost close to what….a billion and decades to rebuild?

singletrackmind

Insurance job I reckon , they probably found woodworm , and some bats in the roof

Site was earmarked for redevelopment into a Wetherspoons, Costa , Lidl and 6 blocks of flats.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I don’t think you can really rebuild that

sarawak
    Free Member

Macron won’t want us to leave Europe now. He’ll need our money to rebuild it!!!!

Poopscoop

Genuinely upsetting to me.

History is very important to me on a personal level and this is a tragedy to watch.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well, the spire that collapsed was a 19th century recreation of the original – just taller and more ornate. So they can…perhaps….but it will take a shit tonne of time, money and tracking down every old school artisan that is available to work on the project.

It’s that or you do something new and modern with what is left. But that’s not really Paris is it?

Kuco

I don’t know they did the Louvre Pyramid. Great loss of a building though, with a lot of history.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I can’t see them not rebuilding it though especially with Macron portraying himself as the hard man of Europe, I mean the image of the spire falling…is a complete kick in the balls to French pride. I actually think that this could be more damaging to Macrons career than the riots if not handled correctly.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Tragic. Might be cheaper to rebuild from scratch than to restore? State-sanctioned arson?

I jest of course, it’s not pleasant to watch.

Drac

They’ve done it at least once already.

tails
    Free Member

but it will take a shit tonne of time, money and tracking down every old school artisan that is available to work on the project.

I think sagrada família is almost complete so they’ll be many looking for work.

Hope nobody was hurt, buildings can be replaced.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Hope nobody was hurt, buildings can be replaced.

Pretty much this. It’s a horrible thing to see but in reality it’s far less tragic than a 3 bed semi burning down with a family inside of it.

Doesn’t make it any less sad however.

cchris2lou

it will be rebuilt , will take 20 to 30 years and lots of money but people will donate .

franksinatra

To be honest, with all the technology we have these days, AI, thermal imagers, fire supression systems etc – it surprises me that national treasures still burn to the ground

I agree, especially during renovation which is known to be high risk. If they are spending millions on renovation, the cost of 24hr fire marshals and some tech to reduce risk would seem well worthwhile.

bedmaker

So that’s where the Glasgow School of Art guys are working now!

nickc

Visited it in March and immediately thought glad I’d seen it before it burned down… And then felt immediately guilty. Awful to watch on the news.

franksinatra

So that’s where the Glasgow School of Art guys are working now

Are they the same dudes that fixed up Windsor Castle?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Notre-Dame a blaze’ is closed to new replies.