Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • Notre-Dame a blaze
  • markrh
    Free Member

raybanwomble, who said anything about spending money on nukes and aircraft carriers. No, spend on improving the quality of life for the homeless & underprivileged. Its what Jesus would have done*
    * I really don’t know this of course like you haven’t a clue about what I think.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The difference of spending money on nuclear weapons or other items is that this money is never donated or claimed to be for religious for a religious casue. The money being donated to rebuild the cathedral is.

franksinatra

I am looking forward to visiting the Louis Vuitton Cathedral once it is rebuilt.

mashr

The money being donated to rebuild the cathedral is.

I thought the money was being donated to rebuild an item of historical and cultural importance? Also you’re seeing different reports, religion seams to barely register

EDIT: FWIW if somewhere like Rosslyn Chapel was to burn down here I’d probably donate towards the rebuild, and I give zero ****s about religion

raybanwomble
    Free Member

. No, spend on improving the quality of life for the homeless & underprivileged. Its what Jesus would have done

Throwing money at them only goes so far and there are already people doing that. This will create employment, like the Public Works Admistraion did in America during the great depression.

I’ll leave a quote here that I think is apt for people like you.

The sick in soul insist that it is humanity that is sick, and they are the surgeons to operate on it. They want to turn the world into a sickroom. And once they get humanity strapped to the operating table, they operate on it with an ax

I assume you own an mtb? If so you disgust me, you could have spent that money on a black gay transgender Jew from the DRC

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The difference of spending money on nuclear weapons or other items is that this money is never donated or claimed to be for religious for a religious casue

Hah! Weapons have never been bought for religious or political (political mass movements are religious in nature as well) purposes, like ever.

The stupidity shown in this thread is quite spectacular.

joefm

Why is every choice so binary all the time?
    They could do both?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Because people.are idiots. That’s why Joe.

johndoh
    Free Member

I thought the money was being donated to rebuild an item of historical and cultural importance?

Exactly this – I am not in the slightest bit religious but I have been to churches, temples, ruins, national parks etc etc all over the world just because they are there. And why not?

slowoldman

If you want full on weird, the Trump fans on Twitter are already blaming dark forces (aka Muslims):

No surprise there. That bloke in the video was wearing a yellow jacket. Makes you think.

edhornby

The historic, architectural and cultural significance is appreciated by all, the religious significance for those who are Christian, so I’m not dismissing the religious aspect but it’s reasonable for the French state to pay for this rather than the pope (!)

As for finding the money, it can be done. Nuclear weapons are silly but they have nothing to do with it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Throwing money at them only goes so far and there are already people doing that. This will create employment, like the Public Works Admistraion did in America during the great depression.

Exactly, just in the same way the cathedrals were built in the first place… to keep the masses busy and gainfully employed. What better way than to take a few hundred years to build a cathedral employing several generations of peasants, giving them useful skills, to keep them in check, give them jobs in a society before law and order, religion served as an effective mechanism to create some moral and societal structure and rule based living all with the ever present threat of some all powerful, all seeing, all knowing beardy bloke floating up above the clouds who would condemn you to an eternity of torment and pain in the pits of hell if you step out of line. Religion is a man-made construct created for practical purposes to serve the progress of mankind. It should have been superseded when the rule of law was invented and our current civic structures started to emerge, but so much power in the hands of a few blokes in gowns and silly hats was too much to relinquish and so we still have to suffer the scourge of religion.

Despite my opinion on religion I am in awe of the buildings and structures it created, or rather the skills and workmanship of the people Who created them, and these things are worth preserving and rebuilding. I love Paris and it would be all the poorer if they don’t rebuild it.

timbog160

It will be interesting to see how it gets rebuilt – apparently an awful lot of it dated from extensive renovation done in the 19th century so one option would be to take it back to its mediaeval configuration. Personally I think it would be good to do a bit of that, a bit of the 19th c, and a bit of something more contemporary. It seems a bit unimaginative to just replicate it as was…

slowoldman

Apparently the rose window and the organ are OK.

cchris2lou

Total donation by the 3 richest family in France is 500 millions euros.
    A few others make total so far 600 millions.
    As someone else above, could not care about religion but appreciate the building. I also hope they will include modern touches, like glass pyramid at the Louvre.

funkmasterp

It’s a lovely building and means a lot to the French people. If individuals want to donate money for a rebuild then that’s up to them. I just like to think that God set fire to it for s laugh.

SaxonRider

Wow. With the conceptions of God being set out on this thread, it’s no bloody wonder that STWers aren’t religious.

Good grief.

project
    Free Member

It was /is an old building and would have caught fire at some time, as do a lot of newer buildings,keep the bits that are ok, outer walls and put a glass roof over the shell, and convert it to affordable flats and homes, paid for by all those large companies finding large amounts of cash to spend on its rebuilding,or as has been done in Liverpool, in the bombed out church world war 2 damage, keep the shell and convert it to a public space, and a landmark destination place to visit.

In the next few years there will be more older and newer building suddenly catch fire and are destroyed, not helped by the desimation of the fire service, and lack of staff and appliances.

mashr

and convert it to affordable flats and homes

Come on, you’ve got to be more subtle with DTF style troll posts!

neilthewheel

Cyclist’s fault, apparently.

Northwind

neil the wheel

Subscriber

Cyclist’s fault, apparently.

Obviously- if it’d been a driver’s fault they’d have it all fixed and back to normal with 10 hours of community service

cchris2lou

it is already and a public place and a landmark to visit .

philxx1975
    Free Member

This is brilliant give Europe money for their knackered church. THINK!! Would they do it if Westminster burned down? NON

cchris2lou

Lol at Phil, you OK hun?

athgray
    Free Member

This is brilliant give Europe money for their knackered church. THINK!! Would they do it if Westminster burned down? NON

Sadly, pathetic and insular views like this are all too prevalent and voiced frequently in Britain at the minute.

philxx1975
    Free Member

insular

Hardly,

franksinatra

I don’t envy the team that will be responsible for removing that scaffolding currently up around the cathedral. That is itself looks like an epic task.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If this has done one thing it’s raised some awareness of other culturally and religiously significant sites that have been ripped up, flattened and destroyed to make way for pipelines, roads etc. they just belonged to the indigenous populations of places we invaded over the years.

Richie_B

I don’t envy the team that will be responsible for removing that scaffolding currently up around the cathedral. That is itself looks like an epic task.

The exciting bit is going to be supporting and inspecting the stone vaults to see whether they are still viable. Just because they are still standing doesn’t mean they are in anyway safe. Stone really doesn’t react well to the type of heat generated by a fire of that size. I’d have far more faith in the surviving timberwork.

I love the comments about ‘it was a timber building, it was bound to burn down’ has anyone tried setting fire to a of 14” square oak beam (even if it has been drying for a couple of hundred years)?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If only we had this in the UK for the grenfell disaster.

what a sh1tty comment – trumps anything by jhj…

mashr

philxx1975

President Trump? Is that you?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Total donation by the 3 richest family in France is 500 millions euros.

offsetable against their tax bill probably, maybe for the next few years?

Drac

😂

offsetable against their tax bill probably, maybe for the next few years?

Maybe we should tell them not to bother then.

mariner
    Free Member

Questions raised under general ignorance (mine).

I thought oak beams smouldered not burned whoosh gone?
    How does the structure react to tons of weight suddenly being lost off the top?
    Why do I feel happy and uneasy that a couple of families can suddenly come up with vast sums of money to donate?
    A million euros sounds generous a hundred million seems a bit excessive.
    And why publicise the donation? If it were me I would prefer the warm glow of donating anonymously.
    Having suffered living in a G2* property I really hope the rebuilding includes some new materials and techniques. I believe buildings tell more through their evolution and adaption to change of use rather than being kept as a museum piece.

DrJ

Could easily be – he has form in this department..

“40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan. And it was actually before the World Trade Center … the tallest,” Trump told New Jersey’s WWOR. “And then when they built the World Trade Center, it actually became known as the second tallest, and now it’s the tallest.”

cchris2lou

Apparently not. Nothing to do with tax. Law is different in France and at present donations cannot be offset against tax, only in some exceptional cases. But I expect Macron to change it.

French TV are saying vault needs to be assessed, and still early days.

cyclelife
    Free Member

My friend in Paris is not sure who started the fire but he’s got a hunch😮

martinhutch

French TV are saying vault needs to be assessed, and still early days.

I love the way they let the world’s media have a tramp around inside the vault (of as-yet unassessed structural stability) as the ashes were still smouldering. Though the opportunity to entomb a Daily Mail reporter was probably too hard to resist.

tpbiker
    Free Member

This will create employment, like the Public Works Admistraion did in America during the great depression

I’m not convinced the skills required to rebuild that will be found at the local job centre tbf..

My friend in Paris is not sure who started the fire but he’s got a hunch😮

Been done on page one..you’re late…

Unlike your bike frame..

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’m not convinced the skills required to rebuild that will be found at the local job centre tbf..

Stone masons and blacksmiths aren’t usually from upper middle class backgrounds are they? Then there’s the planning side, that will employ all sorts of assistants on top of skilled architects etc. Couldn’t you also use the project to train some youngsters as apprentices?

There are all sorts of ways a concerted rebuild effort could be used for the public good.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Notre-Dame a blaze’ is closed to new replies.