Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Not that A&A thread, this is a new one, Art & Appreciation
  • JulianA
    Free Member

Or anything else by Frederick Lord Leighton

Phillipe Bouchard

And quite simply the most stunning picture I have EVER seen:

Completed in 1432, the colours are still fantastic today. Wonderful. I could look at it for hours. A must see if you are in Ghent (although it’s worth a trip just for this picture) – and the rest of Ghent is fantastic too.

Dougal
    Free Member

AB – Artist and piece name?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Your second pic looks just like the Palladian Bridge at Wilton House Julian.

Harry_the_Spider

mogrim

I was going to post “Flaming June”, JulianA – saw it at the Prado last week, very impressive in the flesh (so to speak).

DezB
    Free Member

Lichtenstein

miketually
    Free Member

I really like Richard Long‘s work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[General comment] Do we have a new Friday tradition here? I think so![/ General comment]

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think Banksy is MASIVELY overated, almost as bad as teh Chapman brothers.

I don’t like Hopper but I do like Bechtel:

Chuck Close also

Pigface
    Free Member

Captain Flasheart no idea who you are or where you are but this thread has opened my eyes to some stuff I havent seen before, so for that I say thank you.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Jochem van Wetten:

Matt Kirkland:

James Jean:

headfirst
    Free Member

I really like Andy Goldsworthy’s work,eg:

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ahem, Flashy… 😉

I’d completely forgotten about this idea. Nice one. Should be a regular STW fixture.

El Greco was one of my earliest loves; this was in a book on art my mum had. About the same time as I first saw this, the Film ‘Jaws’ was out in the cinemas, and there were posters everywhere. See the influence?

I was hoping to get at least a bit of work done today. Ah well…

mugsys_m8

Isn’t Julian A’s bridge phoot’s of the bridge in Prior Park, Bath?

I’m almost certain the first one is, and the 2nd one is a bit more abstract, but that looks like Bath down below.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Always loved this Goya:

spacehopper

im not 100% sure this is the exact same picture… but the huge original (or very similar) of this in Leeds Art Gallery is simply stunning.. i could stare at it for hours!

therealhoops
    Free Member

load’a’crap, Stanhope Forbes is where it’s at. I’ve seen this baby up close, it’s huggggeeeee.

jova54
    Free Member

Two of my favourite artists. Very different styles but unique talents.

jova54
    Free Member

Oops, double post.
    Sorry!

roper
    Free Member

I also like these two wildlife artists (amongst many) .
    Lars Jonsson

Tim Wootton

(anyone else going to post their own work? Don’t be shy now).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, RB, if you won’t start it….! 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Whilst in Oslo, a few years back, I discovered a little-known Norwegian painter; Eric Werenskjold. What I love about this panting, is that it’s just a simple, unremarkable scene, in many ways. Just like a simple snapshot. But it’s absolutely believable. I don’t know why it moved me so much, but I don’t care. I love it.

willard

I was looking over a website the other day trying to get information about an old inland RN training base from the 50’s when I saw this picture of the graffiti on the wall.

I’m also a fan of Manga/Anime and it stuns me when I see the detail in a single panel of something like Appleseed. Frank Miller’s work is very similar to this. If you’ve read Hard Boiled, you’ll know what I mean.

Purely for being lost in a picture though, you can’t beat Escher.

rowley
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

This pic was the most memorable for me after a recent visit to the Guggenheim

Gertrude Kasebier “Red Man” from 1903
    It’s actually a lot darker in reality and more striking.

andyfla
    Free Member

Mine has got to be the raft of the medusa, hanging in the Luvre in the next hall to the mona lisa, huge pic and comletely mind blowing – fantastic :

roper
    Free Member

It would appear the link of my pictures did not work, just the text so will try again,

Tufted titmouse

Cork Painting

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Not strictly speaking ‘art’, but I think it’s a work of art in itself!

Brilliant bit of design, iconic and timeless:

Stoner
    Free Member

This photo doesnt do this painting by Barbieri justice.
    To be found in the Palazzo Rosso, Genova.

Cleopatra morente

http://www.museopalazzorosso.it/template1.asp?itemID=60104020&level=4&label=Sala_5_Guercino&sito=6&lingua=1

intense red/velvet colour.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a personal reason for liking this one. It was one of the highlights of my visit to Muse d’Orsay (I tried to get them to rename it Musee Darcy but they wouldn’t go for it). It was art overload that day…

CountZero

Whooo! Great thread, keep it up, guys. Love Goldsworthy’s works, and Gormly is probably my favourite sculptor. There’s a piece of his at the current RA Summer Exhibition, but sadly rather beyond my credit card’s purchasing powers. Alan Jones is another who’s work I love, amazing draughtsman, every line is perfectly executed. I can’t get enough of Banksy’s work either, he has a terrific imagination, and his work always has the underlying political comment, without browbeating the viewer. Hopper, too, I can look at for hours, and thank you for putting up JoB’s ‘tribute’.
    JulianA, who are you calling a Ghent? ;0)

aP
    Free Member

I have a collection of some things including these:
    [img]http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/P/P07/P07452_8.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/P/P11/P11950_9.jpg[/img]

finbar
    Free Member

I’m sure its frightfully unfashionable, but i do like Landseer. So sad.

AB
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Gustave Caillebotte’s Raboteurs de parquet.

Used to have that on my bedroom wall.

Good choice

JulianA
    Free Member

Sorry, been for an interview (hoping to leave the JoblessTrackWorld Club) and to the pub, so been away for seven hours.

RichPenny – Member
    Your second pic looks just like the Palladian Bridge at Wilton House Julian.

M. Bouchard’s pictures are based around Bath, so I guess it’s the Palladian Bridge in Bath and, indeed, Prior Park.

Also love Micheal Sowa and a lot of the other pics and this guy:

Trains, nudes and skeletons – what’s not to like?

Good pub quiz qustion: What does the JMW stand for in JMW Turner’s name? No Googling now!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Rudeboy’s Goya is very striking – what’s the name of the work?

Also very partial to a bit of the old Guernica – original in the Reina Sofia in Madrid will stop you in your tracks.

Harry_the_Spider

The most spectacular one that i’ve seen up close is Caravaggio’s Beheading of John the Baptist. It felt as though you were going to get sprayed with blood!

crikey
    Free Member

Like the futurists, me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Joe Scarborough, a modern day Lowrey from Sheffield. First saw him and his paintings in Rotherham Arts Centre when I was about 10 and they made a huge impression for their charm, warmth and relevance. Not sure if it will ever be great art but seems to shout “home” to me:
    EDIT: better image.

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Not that A&A thread, this is a new one, Art & Appreciation’ is closed to new replies.