Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Not posh family accommodation in the central Lakes
  • lister

In the hope that this will all be over by next Easter we’re looking for somewhere for the 4 of us to stay.
    Some friends of my parents did us a cheap deal on their holiday cottage in Sawrey last autumn and it was perfect. Trails from the door, large garage and 2 bedrooms.
    Problem is they’re selling it and the ‘list’ price to rent it or anything similar direct from the agency is waaay beyond our means.
    Does anyone rent out ‘a bit rough around the edges’ cottages in the Lakes? We don’t need lovely decor and plush sofas; just beds, kitchen and somewhere to clean the bikes.
    Camping isn’t really an option as we don’t have all the kit and it’s nice to have somewhere more solid to chill at the end of the day.
    Cheers

matt_outandabout

Look at Western lakes towards Cockermouth or towards Penrith. Yes you need to travel, but less of a lakes price tax.

blokeuptheroad

Don’t dismiss youth hostels if you are on a budget. Some of them have family rooms or you can book exclusive use of their smaller rooms if you book in plenty of time. Basic rooms but clean and tidy, and some are in superb locations and interesting old buildings.

benp1

How about static caravans?

Also, the the owners direct website

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In my experience the lakes is expensive full stop I’m afraid and the price you pay doesn’t necessarily reflect the ‘poshness’ of the accommodation. Further away you are from any hot spots you might see a slight reduction in price, but not much. You’re still going to pay through the nose if you’re in high season. Not sure even static caravans are any cheaper than a cottage.

We’ve used Sally’s Cottages in the past and They’ve been good…not cheap, but pricing in the main ball park rather than premium.

Lots of other options though like various clamping/yurt kind of things, decent campsites with decent facilities and hostels of course.

ampthill

I don’t know what you don’t as cheap

St Giles on Elterwater is bigger than you need but cheap by Lakes standards

Staying in Keswick is usually cheaper

Hostels are also good. I like the one on Elterwater

Really cheap look at the camping barns. Sleeping bags and a stove won’t cost much

Or camping pods

phil5556

We stayed in a static’s last year. We’d never even considered one but my sister was over from NZ and it was all we could find last minute.

I was pleasantly surprised, very comfy and did the job just fine.

It was a quiet site rather than a holiday park type, which I imagine would be horrendous!

tuboflard

Stopped on this campsite before, lovely location. They didn’t have these Hobbit Holes built when I was there last but they look good for a family break though you’d need sleeping bags. Depends on the age of the kids too I guess.

Hobbit Holes

poolman
    Free Member

Just book something direct with the owner, avoid anything via sykes brands they are getting terrible press re their behaviour re refunds and rebooking…like hiking the price for the same week 2021.

Just find the cottage name and Google ownership details, or some owners hide their personal details in the ad.

lister

Thanks folks; no problem with static caravans. Pods and the like are a bit snug though.
    I’m sure there must be a market for knackered fleapit cottages!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Not posh family accommodation in the central Lakes’ is closed to new replies.