Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Not a single good curry joint on curry mile…
  • Joe

…been living in Manchester for a few months and every time ihead to curry mile for a meal out…

…im mortally disappointed.

Can anyone reccomend anywhere recommend. They are all samey, bland, in different (illegal staff…if MEN is anything to go by) staff and overpriced.

hora
    Free Member

Filthy shit holes. That was my thoughts. Some are good for Kebabs (oh woopy-doo)….but the curries are like hot plops of mud 🙁

djglover
    Free Member

This books great

Cook your own

Joe

Yeh. Some of the kebab joints serve good Iranian style kebabs and some good grills but the curry is shit.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

kashmiri spice is top noth

tommytowtruck

We used to go to Al Bilal but haven’t been for years so no idea what it’s like now. Also one of our mates reckoned to come out in a rash any time he ate there, which is a bit worrying!

singlespeedstu

If you’re putting curry in your joints your doing it wrong…..

johnhoo
    Free Member

Can anyone reccomend anywhere recommend

get on the M62 & come to Bradford. Mumtaz on Gt Horton Road (up the hill past the uni) is supposed to be good. Queen Lizzie ate there last year. Most local supermarkets stock their product too.

My favourites when I was at uni in Bradford have nearly all closed down (well it has been 20+ years); however, 4 miles north of Bradford, in Shipley, there are two or three good ones to choose from – Aagrah on Saltaire Road, Rajpoot & Shimla Spice on Otley Road, and Jani’s up the hill in Baildon (my personal favourite now, but it is my local)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

don’t bother with the curry mile.
    any of the northern quarter back alley curry cafes, in particular “this n that”, will see you getting curries far superior to anything you’ll find in rusholme (on the regular menus, that is)… also, asian fusion in chorlton is pretty awesome, as is coriander (also in chorlton; both of them on barlow moor road). nothing like the identikit curry mile slop you get in pretty much all of the neon signed nightmares on wilmslow road…

RustySpanner

Xherbivorex is right, Northern Q is where it’s at:
    I’d recommend ‘Al Faisal’ on Thomas St, just next to the dustpan and brush sculpture – never had a bad meal there.

Used to go to ‘This n That’ regularly, but I don’t bother much any more as it’s gone down hill a bit recently – the food is often cold and the rice is always a bit watery. Still does the best Nehari in town (Sunday’s only) though, a dish I’d pick as my last meal on earth. I believe they open late at weekends now.

Hunters Barbecue (next to the Odd Bar) looks grim but the food is excellent.
    The Yadgar, Aladdin and Shalimar are OK,and would certainly suffice in an emergency, but would not be my first choice. Try them all, you’re bound to find one you like.

Forts (farts?) of India in Whitefield is superb if you prefer a proper restaurant rather than a caff, but can be a bit pricey these days. Huge portions though. 🙂

PePPeR

I’d definitely recommend Mumtaz in Bradford as well, but for Greater Manchester I haven’t found one yet!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

rusty mate, the rice was bob on in this n that at lunchtime today… i’ve not noticed any drop in standards there, mind you i only go every few weeks at most.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, Manchester in ‘trying to be all cosmopolitan and trendy yet failing yet again’ shocker! 😉

If it’s any consolation, Brick Lane (in That London’s famous London) has got very poncy, over the years. Quite spensive, some places, and can be disappointing. Mind, there are some good places there, it must be said. And the pick, for ‘proper authentic value for money grub’ is Sweet and Spicy, where you can easily eat for less than a tenner.

Can vouch for Bratfud, too. Proper Yorkshire curry!

snowslave

Curry mile is v samey. Proper curry in Northern Quarter as already said. Anyone remember the Yaqub in the N quarter btw? That was ace.

Coriander & Azad Manzil in Chorlton a better alternative to the curry mile, as are some of the Nepalese places in W Didsbury.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

where you can easily eat for less than a tenner.

ha, rice and 3 veg (a big plate of 3 different veggie curries with a massive pile of pilau rice) in this’n’that costs 3 quid!
    up yours, lahndan!

snowslave

Yeah, like why does this thread trigger info about that lundun at all eh Rudeboy??????

stevemakin

Katmando in Northernden is passable, The Massala LOunge in Sale is excellent

RustySpanner

Xherbivorex –
    Good to hear that, will pop in next week – I love the curried cabbage with keema and bit of channa.
    The cabbage has always been a bit of a favourite with me, but strangely not with anyone else I meet later in the day, especially in confined or airless spaces. 🙁

RudeBoy
    Free Member

xherb; I can do almost that well, from a place locally! Ok, so it’s more like a fiver, but still.. we can afford it! 😉

Sorry, Manks! Couldn’t resist the little dig, there!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

aye, today was cabbage, dhal and aloo gobi… with a liberal covering of chopped chillies, fresh coriander and onion to get the dhal just how i like it! top stuff.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh, might have to give me old Man a ring, get him to knock up some keema peas, bhindi curry, bit of dahl, aloo saag….

(Salivates)

hora
    Free Member

Proper curry in Northern Quarter That place with the green plastic seats attached to the tables? It takes like Indian school dinners to me!

Massalla lounge you say? How does it compare to Sajan’s the takeaway?

Get on to the M62, Don’t go as far as Bradford as its the asshole of Yorkshire (joke), turn off at Huddersfield (the jewel of Yorkshire) and eat at Kebabish across from McDonalds in the town centre. They dont serve alcohol but the food is still very nice. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Out of interest, what do people prefer; cheap and cheerful (IE, probbly more ‘authentic’), or the fancier dishes? Having grown up eating Bangladeshi food, I must say, I find the former option more to my taste. But it’s nice to have something a bit unusual, sometimes.

hora
    Free Member

Sher E Punjab in Hudds- At the end of the evening sometimes I used to join the staff eating minced meat curry and other such dishes . Spiced very well to make the most of the meat etc. Tasted alot better than chicken (breast or thigh) curry. Took more inventive skills I guess. Sonee!

stevemakin

Same people

RustySpanner

Rude boy: “But it’s nice to have something a bit unusual, sometimes.”
    This ‘n’ That used to serve sheep’s brains with it’s Lamb Nehari on a Sunday, before the BSE/Scrapie thing.
    More of a texture than a taste to be honest, and the owner used to take great delight in getting everyone to try some.
    I don’t miss it, but I do still like a bit of bone marrow with my Lamb.

Hora: Yep, the place with the green chairs! If that’s what Indian School Dinners taste like, then I’m in the wrong job and living on the wrong continent.
    Try the Lamb or Chicken from the grill – superb.

hora
    Free Member

Ah, Sajan can be good for Chana Gobi, Daal and a English-Balti Chicken. Must give it a try…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sheep’s brain; very nutritious, apparently. Not something I crave too often, I have to say!

A lot of Bangladeshi food is fish, as fish are in abundance there. My dad used to get HUUUUGE gert big bloody fish, for family do’s. I remember my little niece, tucking into a fish’s eyeball. The thing was about the size of a golf ball. She loved it! I declined mine (they were given to the youngest, kind of an honour). Even my mum said ‘I really find it difficult to eat something that’s looking at me’. But loads of fish dishes are amazing; I go absolutely wild for prawns. People don’t eat enough fish.

RustySpanner

RudeBoy –
    Ever tried “A Fish in a tie” in Clapham?
    Pleasant Italian/Mediterranean with loads of seafood dishes.
    Cramped, busy, noisy, friendly and cheap – almost Mancunian really 😉

snowslave

I was getting a real curry yearning on this thread, but fish eye ball the size of a golf ball! Oh no! Help!!!

There’s one on the curry mile who’s name I forget that does dosas – never seen them anywhere else.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, but thanks for the tip. Don’t really venture into the BadLands too often, it has to be said…

Me, in Spain, in a tapas bar, with squid, octopus, prawns, mussels, etc- I’m as happy as a pig in shit! Love seafood, and nice fish.

NZCol

Sorry to butt in – random question – anyone know a really good curry house nr Stockton on tees ?

peatwot
    Free Member

I used to have meals in a curry house in Withington, they were excellent. The place was small, always busy and the standard was always high. Those guys had it. I can’t remember the name but it was at the end of my road Goulden Road. I would be surprised if they are still there or if the deal is the same, that was some time ago. The curried mile was good to drive through at night cos it smelt nice but it looked too brash. There were some down market jalal shops there. They offered cheap soul food without the kitsch.

BillMC

Also in Chorlton you’ve the amazing Barbacan Polish bakery, the prize winning vegetariam supermarket over the road and then the mindblowingly wonderful place The Bar on Wilbraham Road. Why would you want to go anywhere else?

tang
    Free Member

re london, meeras on finchley road. you will only find indians in there, fresh cheap and tandoor rooti. think theres some more of them about. or sakonis on ealing high road for chat and dosa, paan stall for afters. im off to india to be with my bengali family for 4 weeks of singlespeeding and good good food…

uplink
    Free Member

NZcol – Cafe Indigo wasn’t too bad

The Raj Bari [on Yarm High St.] is a bit better

hora
    Free Member

tang while we are at it. Khans in Bayswater was my weekly ritual with my bestmate. We used to sit there reading the weekends papers in silence whilst eatinng like a gay couple.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Also in Chorlton you’ve the amazing Barbacan Polish bakery, the prize winning vegetariam supermarket over the road and then the mindblowingly wonderful place The Bar on Wilbraham Road

ha, i regularly visit all 3 places!

snowslave

none of them sell curry though…. 😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

unicorn sells me all the things i need to make a pretty spectacular yellow split pea dhal, or a sri lankan aubergine curry…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Not a single good curry joint on curry mile…’ is closed to new replies.