Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Not (a ham hough) for the squeamish
  • mucker

Had a bit of a rum do at work a week past Tuesday, don’t think I’ll be out on the bike for a wee while.
    I was using the tractor winch to drag logs up for loading on to the trailer ie choker chain around log attached by a keyhole slider to a wire rope going through a pulley divert to change direction thence to a hydraulic winch on the back of the tractor. The winch works of a remote control, I pressed the button to drag the log in, turned round, slipped and put my hand out and before I could stop it my hand went under the wire and through the pulley. I thought my flippin’ hand was off, I at least expected some fingers to be left in my glove. Not quite, but it wasn’t pretty, my little finger to hand joint looked like when you pull the leg off a cooked chicken, crispy skin and all.
    My mate bundled me into the pick-up and sped me over to St. Johns in Livingston.
    It seems I’d lucked out as apparently its a centre of excellence for hand surgery, so after allowing a 16yr old lad 9 weeks into a work placement at a sheet metal fabricators who’d lost 3 fingers to the guillotine to go first, I spent 5 hours in theatre with 4 plastic surgeons working on my hand. Repair and digital revascularisation.
    I was resigned to losing my little finger at the very least but if all continues to go well I will have an almost/total recovery.
    I have received from the NHS the most marvelous treatment imaginable, from the porters, cleaning staff, nurses, surgeons everyone. It is the jewel in the crown of British society, it must be protected and treasured.
    Bit of a ramble I know but I just got home today and I’m feeling a tad emotional.

IMAG0097 by pmacm2007, on Flickr
    Told you it wasn’t pretty.

Kuco

Nasty, hope it heals well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ouch! But good luck on the recovery – won’t be easy, but looks like you are in the best hands (sorry for the pun 🙂 )

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wow

All the best for a speedy recovery. What’s that silver thing?

tang
    Free Member

Flipping hell! Heal well!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A few weeks off the self abuse eh?

noteeth
    Free Member

Ouch! All the best for the recovery & well done that surgical team.

sandwicheater

😯 hope it is a quick recovery and your on your bike soon.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The very very best of luck to you mate!

You’re in the best of “hands”. See what I did there.

Anyway I ended up in ERI with parts of a hand still inside a glove after an RTC.

It’s genuinely amazing what they’ll do ( I think its better when you’re young) but it takes a long frustrating time to recover fully.

matt_outandabout

Aye, heal quick….

leffeboy

Wowser. Incredible what can be done

Jamie
    Free Member

mega
    Free Member

wishing you a speedy recovery – hope it wasn’t your ‘whacking’ hand 🙂

mucker

The silver thingy is actually a wee bit of plastic covering the end of the wire which is holding the joint together, it’ll come out in 3-4 weeks.
    Luckily I’m left handed so no need for a let up there.
    Had to laugh when one of the surgeons (with a straight face) said that as I was a young man I should heal quickly, I’m 51.

mucker

Jamie, thats me bottom left.
    Edit. Mate I’ve just realised it bloody well is, brilliant.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*reports WCA to the mods for having two accounts*

saleem
    Free Member

Ouch. Poor fella only needing one hand for it 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, thats me bottom left.

8)

scaredypants

😆 @ Jamie’s digital processing !

Heal fast mucker

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Not (a ham hough) for the squeamish’ is closed to new replies.