Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • North America at the end of Cutgate – Trashed !
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Rode it this weekend and basically some king or queen of d**k heads has decided to try and build a new footpath out of stiff clay in the depths of one of our wettest winters (and summers) on record! They’ve tracked a machine through the boulder field so there isn’t a line to ride (or walk) through anymore and the new ‘footpath’ they’ve tried to build to one side is now just hub/ankle deep yellow slop !

If that’s a sensitive repair that respects the setting and enhances the ecological value of the land then I’m a monkeys uncle. I just can’t believe that they’re even attempting it in these conditions.

I can’t see any long term future for the trail either. Even if they get it to dry out you’re basically going to have to ride the yellow clay road instead of weaving and dodging the boulder field !… another one to strike off the list.

P.S. Any one know the latest on the repairs to the Cutgate Bog of Doom ? Last I heard they’d reached the money target and were planning the works.

Tracey

We was up last weekend after a keen frost, and had no problems riding it. Its going to be a mess for a while as the signs ask walkers to walk on it to bed it in, but the walkers we passed were just avoiding it and walking through the undergrowth. I assume they have put some drainage in to clear the usual standing water that accumulates as we noticed some rocks placed level with the surface in places.

They had also put up meshing in places which didn’t help, I expect they expect walkers to stride over it. Over the last few years its gone from a wide, in places rocky path to something that resembles a road and getting even wider in places.

Its been on the cards for a while and as per all the repairs that’s been done at the Langsett end a couple of harsh winters will have it back to how it was and should be.

We only tend to ride that area in the winter after its been frozen or not had a lot of rain as it wasn’t that good before when it was wet and boggy. I think its the dodging of the boulder field that has created some of the problems.

We have ridden it for over 30 years on a regular basis and Im not sure how they will cure the bog on the top of Cutgate

Some info here

http://www.ridesheffield.org.uk/2019/09/north-america-bridleway-an-update/

jaylittle
    Free Member

I was one of those walkers trying to avoid the new claggy clay footpath, passed through just after mid day so the frost had thawed making the mud ankle deep in places.

timbog160

To be fair that update does say it will look s***e initially but will settle down – let’s hope it does!

matt_outandabout

That is one of my favourite Peak rides.

If it’s any consolation, after a year we have huge regrowth of vegetation and erosion of ‘important’ parts of Dumyat path, after similar works.

I’m torn, the Dumyat works needed some local riders, walkers and MSP to intervene and reduce the scope of works. Initially it was dreadful, bit I can see benefits in a good part of it. I can also see a waste of time in some other areas which needed better drains, different route etc.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Tracey. Good to see you both up there the other weekend (Ash)

It was a mess to ride. Especially on a hard tail. But the sharp frost did help with grip, other
    Wise it would have been a nonstarter.

I’d be Avoiding riding up it again until they have fully finished.

Tracey

Good to see you and have a chat.

To clarify we only ride down North America and have seen it in some very muddy conditions over the years. Will also be avoiding it with the bike unless its frosty but will be walking it with the dog.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation where it needs footfall to bed it in and this will take time. The alternative was to leave it in the deteriorating state it had become which would have benefited no one.

Its a bit of they are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. If they finish up with a half decent job here and also up on the top bog we will be singing their praises.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Give it time. I’ve not seen it, but from the description, it’ll be the same material and build methods as used on Derwent Edge or the bottom of the Whinstone Lee Tor b/way. Once it’s settled down and dried out, it will ride well enough, albeit be a bit tamer than it used to be.

Certainly it needs work doing in it. I remember it as sub metre wide the first few times I rode it. The erosion over the years has been massive and that’s down to all users not thinking about how or when we choose to use it.

kelvin

Indeed Jon. People riding (or walking) that trail in the middle of a very wet winter can’t complain at measures to make it more wet weather proof.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ve just been up to meet the contractor on site and discuss the works with them and Moors for the Future who’ve pulled this project together (along with Cut Gate bog works) . This is with my Ride Sheffield hat on, so to speak.

They’re doing it now to avoid nesting bird season and to placate the landowners/gamekeepers.

They started at the low end and worked their way up, knowing that the material should get better as they go along. The plan is to avoid importing material from off site – they’ll be bringing material down from further up to firm up the bad clay sections.

I was amazed just how well the majority of the works are holding up – there’s now a good section of well bedded trail, where the mineral content is there in the material.

Works here continue until 13th March when they have to be off site (landowners) . SHould be another 500m or so of trail in by then. I think that a year of settling, along with freeze thaw cycles should see this useable much more of the year round – as a climb too.

After they finish on North America, the contractor is doing water management works on the other BW that links back to Cut Gate (left at the bottom of North America) I can then see out and back rides working well with a loop in either direction.

Cut Gate is delayed by around a year because of access issues/timings. They couldn’t get that nailed in time to get contractor signed up. They’re about there now, but I’ll confirm once we know.

timbog160

It really is a stunningly good ride, but I’ve been avoiding it more and more in recent years, especially in the winter – personally I’m looking forward to seeing how this works out…

Tracey

Thanks for the update. If we get a bit of frost will go up and do a bit of bedding in.

chevychase

We got any pics?

Tracey

This is from further down, hope they don’t do too much to this bit. End of wall to gate. Just after where the diggers were.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘North America at the end of Cutgate – Trashed !’ is closed to new replies.