Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Noncreakysaddletrackworld…recommend me a quiet saddle
  • ollybus
    Free Member

Fed up with the odd creaks from my current perch (Selle italia q-bik)
    Please recommend a nice quiet non-creaky one, thanks!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How well does the qbik shape suit you? Seriously consider giving your saddle a twice-over underneath with gt85 or somesuch just to be sure it’s the compound and not joints/fittings. Also remove, grease and retighten screws if any.

ollybus
    Free Member

Seat rails look like they have some coating / paint finish that has worn away where they’re clamped. Think this might be the cause?
    I really like the saddle but since I upgraded the wheels (originals were creaky too!) I really notice the racket!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can’t imagine it being a paint/finish problem. But IME if have removed and replaced a saddle at any time it pays to check all the rails/clamp rail-grooves, bolts etc etc for any grit or foreign object. Cleaning and tightening might in itself do the trick. Dry weather/shrinkage can throw up issues that existed yet were previously masked. It could of course just be a worn-out saddle/cracked glue/joints/shell etc but you can usually negate all other possibilities by thorough cleaning of all followed by light lubing and re-tightening. I tend to stick with a seat that suits my shape so have ridden many into the ground and rarely if ever had an unsolvable creak (ymmv). Good luck!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My pet hate.

I’ve got a Fizik that creaks more than an OAP’s knees. But it’s positively silent compared to every SDG i’ve owned.

The only truely quiet saddle i’ve found is Selle Italia stuff.

Speeder

I’ve got an Selle Italia SL135g on my Tracer and it’s the most annoying thing! The bike’s ALMOST silent except for this stupid thing so I’m interested to hear any recommendations also.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Put some grease on your seat rails and or put some black tape around the rails.
    If you spray your rail clamping area with wd40 or gt85 and the creaking goes you know what to do.
    Good luck.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Be wary of using too much WD40/GT85/Chain Lube though

I have numerous Selle Italia SLR XC saddles and they can become unbearably noisy. The creaking comes from where the rails join the saddle (front and back)

I used copious amounts of lube to solve it but forgot that lube doesn’t always stay in the place it’s applied. Later that day, during a race, my saddle fell off!!!!

It appears the lube ran onto the rails which then loosened throughout the race. Something quite surreal about braking heavily for a tight corner only to see your saddle pass you on the inside.

Anyway, I solved the noise by removing everything, cleaning it all up and refitting it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Noncreakysaddletrackworld…recommend me a quiet saddle’ is closed to new replies.