Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • No ranting please. Worth joining Labour Party under current rules?
  • Poopscoop

Decided that shouting from the sightlines doesn’t do much. Go figure.

So, under current Labour rules, is joining going to give me a tiny, tiny say in the future leadership?

Seriously, no arguing please guys.

fadda

Bookmarked, as I’m interested too.

I *think* it’s a yes, but will await better informed advice!

slackboy
    wingnuts

Three of my friends and I have come to this conclusion. We have to stand up for what we value and help shape it so that those who only listen to soundbites can relate to it. I’m so depressed by what has happened on all sorts of levels and by all participants that I have to stand up, participate and be counted.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not a Labour supporter, but fair play to you all for being positive and proactive about it 👍

v8ninety

I think there’s an 8 week ‘provisional membership’ period. So if you’re quick, I reckon there’ll be time.

Poopscoop

Thanks for input guys, this is the page detailing costs and how to sign up etc.

https://join.labour.org.uk/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=actionmenu

tthew

As a union member, (unite and they really are quite shit at communicating) why do I not get a vote? Should I,

1. Actually get off my BFA and find out this shit for myself.
    2. Join as a personal member.

RustySpanner

2 Matt.

Or post shite every five minutes on here.
    Your choice.

I’ve joined and left twice. I doubt if they’ll have me back.

Richard Osman for leader btw….you heard it here first.

falkirk-mark

I am a Unite member and get get stuff sent out regarding voting people for stuff with union recommendations . Don’t usually read them and throw them in the blue bucket. However I will be keeping a close eye on what comes through after this weeks shitshow.

ransos
    Free Member

As a union member, (unite and they really are quite shit at communicating) why do I not get a vote? Should I,

You should be able to vote as an affiliated union member. Speak to them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

#BackBurgon

loddrik
    Free Member

Jess Phillips for leader. Angela Rayner is good too. Shame about Laura Pidcock. Loads of great women out there. Next leader should definitely be a woman for me.

salad_dodger

I’m going to hang on joining until Corbyn has gone. If I join now I fear he’ll take it as some personal endorsement so I’m not risking that.

kerley
    Free Member

Jess Phillips for leader. Angela Rayner is good too.

Jess will just piss people off the more they see of her, Angela just avoids questions like all the other and never does well with media.

Forget the current pool, near to ship on someone who is popular, test them out with a lot of focus groups and only then make then permanent leader. It is how winning works now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Next leader should definitely be a woman competent and electable individual for me.

I’m all for equality but not as the expense of someone who can actually do their job

fadda

I’m going to hang on joining until Corbyn has gone. If I join now I fear he’ll take it as some personal endorsement so I’m not risking that

Off the back of this discussion, I’ve just done it. There’s a page where it asks why you’re joining up, one of the options is “to back Jeremy Corbyn”. I ticked a different option…

ElShalimo

I am thinking the same but £4.30 a month is quite expensive for a lot of people. How can the traditional Labour voter afford it?

LMT
    Free Member

Jess is my local mp, gobby cowbag when she wants to but she goes generally have a point. Doubt will see her as leader but happy to be proved wrong.

ElShalimo

Why is nobody telling about Yvette Cooper for the leader role? She was being touted as a post-Corbyn future leader very recently

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Why is nobody telling about Yvette Cooper for the leader role? She was being touted as a post-Corbyn future leader very recently

#BackBurgon

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I joined as couple of years ago. We detest Corbyn, well it’s the schemers behind him, Milne, McCluskey and Landsman really.
    The reason we joined is we wanted to ensure the traditional centre left members didn’t get squeezed out and silenced. I know all the moderate candidates get nowhere in the NEC elections at the moment but the momentum behind Momentum must be fading now.

ratherbeintobago

For the Unite members above, when’s Big Len up for re-election?

chestrockwell

You should get a vote if a member of an affiliated Union but only if you pay the political levy. By law they can’t automatically make you pay it so you will have to have ticked the box.

I emailed my lot today to add the political payment to my subs. Used to pay it but stopped when Blair screwed us and never got round to renewing it. Only remembered back when I wasn’t able to vote for Corbyn then didn’t get round to it again!

Be interesting to see who stands. I’ll be voting with head rather than heart this time. Saying that I can remember being so underwhelmed by the choice last time that I thought Corbyn was worth a gamble.

robowns
    Free Member

Jess considerably less appealing than Corbyn, not that I would vote labour.

falkirk-mark

For the Unite members above, when’s Big Len up for re-election?

https://unitetheunion.org/media/1383/unite-rule-book-june-2018.pdf

Rule 15.1 is 5years

He was voted in April 2017

So April 2022

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘No ranting please. Worth joining Labour Party under current rules?’ is closed to new replies.