Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • No Garage – most solid gazebo for garden bike maintenance?
  • fpdave

Obviously I wouldnt leave my bikes in there – they will eventually go in an Asgard Access for 29ers armoured metal shed, but I’m gonna have to use a gazebo for bike maintenance I think.

Any advice for one with reasonably solid, all weather, waterproof construction?

jkomo

We had a Coleman event shelter up for two winters non stop before a storm demolished it. It was a pro version which made it easier to put up and down. TBH I think being able to put up and down easily will make it last longer.

bri-72

We’ve used the Halfords ‘urban escape’ brand outdoor shelter for 2 years. Basically like a knock off coleman shelter.
    Pitched Easter and only taken down October. So left out in all,weathers. Used for bbqing, eating out and bike tinkering when needed.
    Comes with 2 sides but can buy extra.
    It now has a rip in it but to be fair it was 30+ mph winds and should really have taken it down.

The good – price, sturdiness (so long as don’t leave out in v strong winds).
    The bad – not quick to put up hence we leave up for spring/summer. Not 100% weatherproof. The vents in roof and clip on side panels do let wind and some rain in.

But for £130 feels like we’ve got our money’s worth from it.

fpdave

I need to do bike maintenance all year around, so one that could withstand some winter winds and rain would be the idea. I guess if it was going to be a storm I could take it down.

How long do they take to put up, with sides?

what do pros use at 24hour bike races, DHs etc etc?

bri-72

Half hour or so but that’s 2 people, be a challenge tho not impossible for 1. Wouldn’t recommend for all year use tho, likely to be more than a few days a year where weather beyond what it’s designed for.

bigblackshed

GAZEBO SHOP

The Wife has these, the Trader model, at school for events, etc. Sturdy and well built. We’ve looked at one for home use, just not got round to it yet.

fpdave

MM, those gazebos on gazebo shop look pretty robust, but dont think i want to spend that much, and they are quite bulky when packed up too.

Changing plan – water proof, but less heavy material, popup, 2mx2m.

sgn23
    Free Member

Standing about in 2° working on fiddly bits is much harder than digging the garden in 2°. I’d work out some way to do this indoors.

matt_outandabout

I’ve done my maintenance outdoors for years. I do come indoors on odd occasion and use our decorating dust sheets on the hard wood floor in the back room.

timber

Depends on the layout of your yard/garden, but would a tarp and a selection of eyebolts do the job? Or a sunsail?

If staying up near permanent, look for a second hand commercial ‘Chinese hat’ marquee from Walter or Roder.

kayak23

24mx. Sturdy and a good price.

fpdave

MMm, now thinking that maybe a small (4′ x 6′) metal shed may be a better idea. Its likely to be warmer, could even heat it. And provide some level of security such that I could leave some tools, workstand, and even spare tyres and wheels in it (locked together).

Something like https://www.sheds.co.uk/yardmaster-64pz-pent-metal-shed.html
    Also a bit smaller than the smallest gazebos, so might actually fit in the garden along with the Asgard Access.

bigblackshed

6×4 isn’t big enough to work in. The work stand will fill the floor area without a bike on it, you’ll the struggle to get to the other side of it, it might work with a wall mounted clamp stand, but they are a real compromise because it only gives access to one side of the bike.

Add in even a small tool box and then a small table top or shelf to put the tools your using. A bit of storage for the spares box and a few tyres? You’ll be moving the work stand outside to work on the bike.

I’ve got an 11×7 bike shed. 5 bikes are stored at one end, spaced so no bike jenga to get anything out. The other half of the shed is racking on one wall and a bench with a roller tool box underneath on the other. I’m outside with the work stand to do any work.

If I changed it to a workshop only with just bike tools and spares with no other bikes in it, then it would be OK. Tight, but OK.

stumpy01
    jaylittle
    Free Member
    fpdave

bigblackshed – I think you are right that 6×4 just isnt big enough – my MTB is 200cm (6’7″) long!!
    and a 7′ shed will be tight!

I dont think I’ve got garden space for the Asgard Access and a shed/structure any bigger than about 7×4, maybe 8×5 at a push – gonna look ridiculous tho!!

The normal metal sheds are NOT secure, so I went for the Asgard. Gonna have to figure out a good way to shoehorn these in to the available space. Maybe I should go for normal metal shed (good quality) and just ensure my bikes are well locked up inside it, and chained to a big lump of metal!

then I could just buy one shed for the bikes and maintenance! Might be easier!

dunno what the landlady will say when she sees the garden/decking taken over by sheds!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘No Garage – most solid gazebo for garden bike maintenance?’ is closed to new replies.