Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Nissan X-Trail ….. would you?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

i.e. – should I?

These snowy conditions turn a man’s thoughts to cars that can handle the elements.
    I know there are plenty out there that can, and in this economic climate, there are some better prices to be had.
    So, new model X-Trails, less that a year old, 100 miles on the clock under £18K and trading in an A4 Avant (seven years old)50K on the clock…..would you?

nukeproof
    Free Member

No

solamanda
    Free Member

My local dealer is doing x-trails for £12k!

Fraz
    Free Member

I love them!

nickc

Turbo issues comes to mind in a vaguely “not good” sort of way. Could be entirely wrong though.

darrell
    Free Member

yes i would

Drac

My Dad’s on his second no great motor but when we priced was just too much so waiting for my new Golf to come.

hora
    Free Member

That dashboard is FUGLY. I’d rather have the A4 Avant.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Great for throwing the occasional dead sheep into. My father’s a sheep farmer and had a couple now. First 2.0 petrol bit sluggish especially when towing but he’s now got a 3 or 4yr old deisel model which he’s pleased with.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Solamanda – new ones? Straight out of the box? £12K?

How local is local?

Also, anyone have experience of bikes in the back with them? What could they take?

carbon337
    Free Member

thread hijack warning – i was looking at Qashqais this weekend – opinions?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Mmmm. Dead sheep in the back seat. My secret vice is exposed now…

hora
    Free Member

Isnt the Qashqais (to sound like ‘cash cow’ to the middle classes) an even uglier lovechild of the Tino (‘shaaaat it’) and Almera?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

All the current Qashqai owners can’t be wrong, and if they were rubbish they wouldn’t have made a +2 model to widen the range, IMO.
    Didja test drive?

solamanda
    Free Member

Try Dan Perkins (West London Motor Group) in Eastcote. They had them in the local paper at £12*** new.

grumm
    Free Member

So you are buying a 4×4 to cope with a couple of inches of snow once every twenty years?

hora
    Free Member

I drove a Honda CRV once and found it to be a bit of a compromise of a vehicle. Abit pointless and a lifestyle vehicle. Same goes for a XTrail. Do you really need that high a vehicle? They always say you need to experience something however experience doesnt mean enjoy IMO. Oh and I own a Subaru Forester!

carbon337
    Free Member

didnt test drive qashqai – if i did i would have bought one – got a brochure and spoke to the dealer – who claimed he had sold 6 cars on saturday morning.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

‘kinell! You’re right Solamanda.

solamanda
    Free Member

Do I get a beer if you buy one ;o)

hora
    Free Member

Serious post- there was a news article last week that honda have had to expand storage facilities for new CRV’s as they have waaay-oversupply at the moment. Soon there will be plenty of deals to be hand on those I reckon.

MoreCashThanDash

I definitely would if I could afford one – my work takes me into the Peak District 1-2 days a week, and snow is the least of my worries given the state of some roads and tracks.

That said, if I had the money I’d also look at an older Subaru Forester, maybe the diesel Jeep Patriot that has lower emissions that a Prius, as well. Maybe a Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson with the warranties. Couldn’t justify a full on LandRover as I don’t go over fields. Well, not intentionally.

Qashquai is quite cute, but only 2 wheel drive.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Grumm – I’m not committing to buying anything yet. I take your point about the rarity of heavy snow in this country of ours.

Of all the 4x4s out there, I think it could be thought of as a 4×4 lite in comparison to some.

There are other factors influencing the thought process. Did you see the post about bikes in the back? That’s one.

Others not mentioned so far involve potential work commitments and practicality (space wise) for holidays at home instead of flying abroad.

Anyway, in this aspirational and materialistic society we live in, is it a crime to look at the shiny stuff and ask opinions on it?

Filthy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch an X-Trail as a mate had nothing but trouble with his and I’ve read similar problems on various websites. Test drove a cashcow and found it to be very dull and understeery. Ended up with a Ford Kuga which is much more satisfying to drive, even works in mud too.. I’d recommend taking one for a test drive.

Last week before the snow came…

hora
    Free Member

Anyway, in this aspirational and materialistic society we live in, is it a crime to look at the shiny stuff and ask opinions on it?

No, especially not if you asked them on the Nissan GT-R 😀

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Beer? For you?
    If I go all the way down to London to buy a car, the least I can do is buy you a beer while I’m there. What’re you having?

Drac

Qashquai is quite cute, but only 2 wheel drive.

It is if you buy 2 wheel drive version.

waihiboy
    Free Member

No, they are fugly as hell.

how can an Avant owner even think of an X-Trail, TUT! TUT! 😉

I do like those Kuga

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont think any of these are particularly better off road or in the snow than any other cheap 4×4, if you want proper off-roading you need to revert to the good old landies and basic toyotas, but considering you’ll not see these conditions again for years I’d say any 4×4 was a waste.

hora
    Free Member

If I was loaded I would look at Octavia Scout. After all, the STW vehicle of choice mated to a 4×4 system no?

grumm
    Free Member

It’s entirely up to you what you want to spend you money on of course – it just seems like a slightly crazy reason to buy a 4×4.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Save your cash, buy one of these and some M&S tyres, go on two international holidays with the spare cash:
    Hilux Surf

Far more capable offroad and last forever.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I like them.

ransos
    Free Member

“maybe the diesel Jeep Patriot that has lower emissions that a Prius, as well.”

Sorry, that’s a load of cobblers: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06/toyota-prius-vs-jeep-patriot-diesel-test.php

fingerbike
    Free Member

4 steel wheels and winter tyres would do more good….

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

If you dont mind petrol then check out a new Nissan Murano for £16k!

chris23
    Free Member

Had no problems with the wifes X Trail, plus it can be manualy selected to 2 or 4 wheel. Huge boot, plus seats fold flat so it takes two bikes easly.

takisawa2

Volvo XC70. If you really need 4×4 at least get a civilized one…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

FiL has an old shape X-Trail and I have driven it.

One word,

DREADFUL

(dear to run, ugly to look at, poor performance, not terribly comfortable, noisy, tacky plastics inside, naff dash, crap sat nav, etc etc etc

simon_g

4 steel wheels and winter tyres would do more good….

Indeed. With a set of chains in the boot for if it gets *really* bad. The only 4x4s in the ski resorts seem to be british-registered, and usually struggling on their summer tyres.

As shown on the roads today, traction to get moving (on the flat at least) is rarely the problem, it’s turning and stopping where 4WD is irrelevant. Well under £500 will get you a set of steel wheels with winter tyres, stick them on in November, save the salt corroding your alloys, switch back in March. It’s what the germans and swiss all seem to do, I don’t know why the idea doesn’t catch on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Nissan X-Trail ….. would you?’ is closed to new replies.