Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Nissan Leaf – Owners experiences
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In a complex 4 way deal involving a Range Rover, Mercedes & Maserati I may end up owning a Nissan Leaf.

It will be used to go 2 miles to the train station and 1 mile to the supermarket. Other than that I will probably try to hide it.

As you can tell, I am a bigoted car snob with no appreciation of the wonders of the modern electric vehicle. The car will probably be from 2012-14.

Tell me why I will love it, hate it and what I will need to repair/replace please.

Stuart
    Free Member

We’ve got a 13 plate and the only issue in 3 years has been the electric auxiliary PTC heater dying. It’s used to pre heat the car in the morning and take up the slack getting the heat pump up to heat. Costs about a grand to replace, so we’re just leaving it. You can see if it’s working by looking in the energy settings menu and looking at how much power is being used by the heaters. If it doesn’t go above 1.5kw (heat pump) the PTC heater isn’t coming on.

stevious

The driving experience is nice. The user interface on the computer bits is obviously designed by a car company rather than a software/hardware company.

I’m now going to be ‘that guy’. Not knowing anything about your circumstances, I’m going to suggest you get an e-bike for those journeys instead. Cheaper to run and easier to park.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Out of the for cars you listed the one I have first would be a leaf. Maserati a close second.

Cletus

Brompton for station trips and cargo bike for supermarket he said unhelpfully as no experience of EV’s.

fatmountain
    Free Member

For those types of distances I’d buy another bike and invest the savings (or buy more bikes) =)

carofthefuture

singletrackmind

WCA is a registered disablled , and thoroughly nice chap who used a ladder as a lever to snap his lower leg off , using height and weight as an added accelerant
    Now, he probably could Ebike to the station , but its always wet , and dark and it will be stolen / parts stolen and he wants a nice eco car to do longer journeys to save baby robins

All I know about leafs if you will get a very good deal on a brand new 60kw version if you px your 40kw? persumably leaf against a shiney new one on a pcp for a piffling amount, as my mate sells them , and he gets 140 -150 mile range between charges.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Brothers mrs has the previous model Leaf which is used for local runabout duties. It’s the lower range one so only really 100mile real world range…less if you’re cruising on a dual carriageway or motorway…but plenty enough for their local runabout…as it would be for 90% of us if we’re really honest with ourselves. He’ll charge it up and it will typically last a few days before it needs charging again.

However he and his wife loves it. I don’t think they’ll ever go back to an ICE car for those duties.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m going to suggest you get an e-bike for those journeys instead. Cheaper to run and easier to park.

If elderly and/or disabled 😎 2 miles?

A half-decent cargo bike or utility bike. I’m a fat knacker with a groin injury yet can still honk two bags of shopping 2 miles uphill on a three speed 55lb Dutch bike. 8 miles on a weekend when I get to Aldi (16 mile round trip)

Sweesus, what’s the world coming to? Grumble grumble.. 1 mile to the supermarket? Socks,trainers and one of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/rolser-saquet-trolley-black/p1521365?sku=233704920&s_ppc=2dx92700046625839812&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu5HJn7_F5wIVg7HtCh01lQXjEAQYAiABEgLv5fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No need to worry about parking if you’re on the hoof…

If you really can’t walk two miles then just buy a beater bike for the station. £40 can get a lot these days.

with mudguards and rack

or add a rack.

Your body and mind will love you for it. So will your savings account 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks for the clarificationngleTrackMind

The Leaf would only be for the journeies where the Maser wouldn’t warm up..

I have an eBike but would you park a £3.5K bike outside a train station each day? You would spend more time filling in insurance claims than riding.Trust me, I have thought about it.

nixie

What you want is a zoe nick 😜.

winston
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Leaf. Had it for 4 years now and it’s been cost free other than consumables. Bit heavy on tyres for a small car but that is more than made up for by the laughable running costs.

My only caveat to Mr WCA would be that EVs don’t like to be left fully charged. 2-3 miles a day will not do the battery much good.

However not to worry. Pretty much everyone I know with an EV drives it far more than they ever thought they would. Firstly it’s cheap power and secondly they are a lot more fun than the headline specs would have you believe, especially at road legal speeds.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

WCA is a registered disablled , and thoroughly nice chap who used a ladder as a lever to snap his lower leg off , using height and weight as an added accelerant

Ouch.

To OP, my humble apologies.

(to self – always read all comments before foot goes in mouth)

Everyone else – you just need one of these 😉:

grtdkad

clarificationngleTrackMind

Nice work 👍🏻

tthew

My mid 70’s dad is going Full Thunberg at the moment and went to test drive a Leaf the other week. Discounted as…

“unfortunately my wheelbarrow wouldn’t go in the back with the seats down”

The man has some odd ideas, but honestly, I didn’t see that one coming. 🤣
    HTH

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nixie – A quick google suggests you might be right Zoe

trail_rat
    Free Member

we can add that to the STW response of “it wouldnt tow my caravan to china on my weekend holidays in one charge ? “

Loughan
    Free Member

If purchasing a leaf then presumably has enough capital to store wheelbarrows around the country as required so never has to borrow one? See BarrowTrackWorld for more on that

tthew

He could undoubtedly afford multiple barrows, but they’d just not be the same as his favorite one with the puncture proof tyre. 🙄

giant_scum
    Free Member

Saw a mate of mine grumbling on about a bit of legislation from the IET regarding EV charge points.

Something along the lines of a separate earth electrode required and this must not be within 10m of any other potential electric interference to avoid touch voltage!

So not sure if this includes the ones installed at people’s homes.

Oh and this is to be applied retrospectively to all charge points!

austen

A friend has just bought a bargain Twizy for this kind of thing.  It has a few issues to sort, but then looks just the tool and very easy to park!

DezB
    Free Member

then looks just the tool

WCA’s biggest worry? 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am now the proud/slight embarrassed owner of a £5K Nissan Leaf

v8ninety

That’s a bargain. They look a bit 😝 but they drive 🤩… smashing bits of kit.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Leaf
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4pTkwrcFSxMHZWtA9

I wonder if I can tint the from windows and windscreen so people don’t see me?

thepurist

I wonder if I can tint the from windows and windscreen so people don’t see me?

Just get yourself some new driving apparel

winston
    Free Member

Unfortunately it looks like you have a Gen 1

If it has an electronic handbrake you do and when it breaks it will cost more than the car is worth to fix.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Range rover had a similar issue where you have to lift the body the inches of the rear chassis to replace it.

The cost is for time, not parts. There is a switch in the cabin and a small electric motor between the rear wheels that pulls the cables that operate the brake itself. The cables get stuff out corroded and do the motor burns out.

Either try and clean the mechanism occasionally or learn to fit the parts. Time consuming but not as difficult as on the range rover.

Hand brake workw fine art the moment but thanks for the heads up.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Seriously what’s with being defined by the car you happen to drive. Britain has such status anxiety it’s unreal. At least your car isn’t now giving children asthma or old people alzheimer’s. Well in 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Seriously what’s with being defined by the car you happen to drive

Not aware of WCA’s posting history then?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

if you intend keeping, it might be worth finding out more info on the state of the battery with leaf spy and a little dongle OBD2, someting to do with GID’s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yS-5HMYUHc&t=1038s

stevious

Apologies to @WorldClassAccident for making assumptions in my post.

Hope you enjoy driving the Leaf. FWIW, our leaf is the first car we’ve owned that I haven’t hated driving. Given you seem to actually enjoy driving anyway I suspect we’re coming at it from different angles though!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Stevious – no need to apologise and having read back I am not sure what you are apologising for.

Yes I like cars and have had many ‘exciting’ cars that would currently be considered unsuitable but the smooth thrust from a 6 litre V12 has to be experienced.

I consider the Leaf as a domestic appliance to get me to and from the station where there is no driving interest. It appears to fit the bill which is why I have bought it. The hope is that this will save the Maserati Grandturismo doing short journeys where it doesn’t warm up properly and damages the mechanical accordingly.

#save the planet while saving the enjoyable cars. Win win?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

First two weeks driving the cheapest 2nd hand leaf in the UK.

First, I didn’t buy it to be an ecobunny, I bought it to save my petrol cars from lots of short journeys.

Pros
    Quite cheap
    Easy to jump in an pop down the shop without feeling any mechanical sympathy for cold engines.
    Innocuous little Japanese hatch that doesn’t feel much different to any other innocuous little Japanese shit box….

Cons
    A real world range of about 40 miles max
    Seat belts required industrial cleaner and a steam gun to remove the mould an curry stains.
    My family and friends are worried for me given my past history of cars

Surprises
    Just how many little trips I do each week.
    I haven’t used the other cars – mostly due to work commitments and bad weather

To Do
    Change to Octopus Energy
    Work out how to do timed charging
    Give up on Nissan Connect

philjunior
    Free Member

I think you’ll miss the cool breeze in your hair you’d get if you made those trips by bike.

I can’t see the car would be any issue for that journey just a bit pointless to embed £10ks of your money on that when you could put a couple of k into utility bikes and waterproofs, and the rest into a nice car or mountain bike.

mashr

A real world range of about 40 miles max

What condition is it saying the battery is in?

pocpoc
    Free Member

bit pointless to embed £10ks of your money

Am I the only one on here that bothers to read a thread before considering replying?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What condition is it saying the battery is in? SOH=60% hence cheap price. Fine for up and down to the station though.

I think you’ll miss the cool breeze in your hair you’d get if you made those trips by bike. But I won’t miss those long walks home each time my bike is nicked from the station.

pointless to embed £10ks & the rest into a nice car – The plan is to use the Leaf to keep the wear and tear off a Maserati. I reckon I will save £5K in extra costs within 2-3 years….

couple of k into utility bikes and waterproofs – My wife doesn’t like cycling so who am I to force her to get wet and miserable for no benefit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What condition is it saying the battery is in? SOH=60% hence cheap price. Fine for up and down to the station though.

According to the EV doubters at Top Gear, that’s the problem with the Leaf, when they’re getting on a bit the range falls to 35-40 real world miles and nobody wants them, hence very cheap to buy. I guess that would seem very limiting to a lot of people for an only car, but you’ve got a few.

I think in reality, a 40 mile range would suit a lot of people for a lot of the time.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nonviable as an only car but perfect for home to Station, Home to Supermarket, Home to Friends type journeys. Free for the Itchen Bridge too if you are in Southampton

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Nissan Leaf – Owners experiences’ is closed to new replies.