Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)
  • Nirvana – Grunge Content
  • rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Some great bands and memories mentioned here. Loved the whole era.

The Descendents/All
    The Posies
    Black Market Flowers
    Black Flag
    Urge Overkill
    Kyuss
    Screaming Trees

With the mention of Soundgarden it would be good see them play live this year for old times sake. Maybe Download? Just to hear the opening to ‘room a thousand years wide’ who knows!?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g[/video]

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Regarding the other posters on here regarding Dinosaur Jr. I went to Reading 93. My first ever festival. It was possibly the loudest band ive ever heard. right at the front and it was amazing. I also remember being transfixed by Mike Johnson playing bass with bleached white hair and him looking very tall!

They just blew my mind.

stayhigh

Ahh Kyuss, now theres a band. I saw the Kyuss Lives show last saturday at Kentish Town forum and they were absolutely fantastic. No Josh Homme but other then that the original line up, best gig I’ve been to for a long time 8)

juiced
    Free Member

For me a band that are just as exciting as Nirvana are System of a Down . Although they have now split they have a number of brilliant albums and Serje no has some great stuff coming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK5dQE1Dz50&playnext=1&list=PLDB6601EE3E8BC1ED

just as awesome yet a little tamer

slimtubing
    Free Member

some gems being posted here, i saw Silverfish,Chumbawamba and Fugazi in an amazing triple bill in the Barras in 92. Lived in Germany in 91 and my girlfriend at the time was heavily involved in the local hardcore scene to the extent that we used to house bands who were touring europe on a budget.
    had the following crashed at our place during the summer of 91:
    Gorilla biscuits, snuff,chumbawamba, No use for a name,Sick of it all, Alice Donut, Cro-Mags,and NofX.
    i scored many a free gig entry and tour tee. good times indeed.
    Oh and lets not over look the mighty Hard-ons. ozzie nutters!

DezB
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

Come as You Are is better than Eighties

well seeing as you prefer kiddies pop to proper music this is just for you DezB

Only just seen this. 😕
    Maybe it was a joke, if so I don’t get it.

anagallis_arvensis

regarding Dinosaur Jr. I went to Reading 93.

Was that the year that Lemonheads and Fishbone played? Good times.
    There was a comedy tent and I saw Eddie Izard

sc-xc

The Hard-Ons!

Cripes. I haven’t even thought about them since accidentally seeing them in Belgium. first time I ever stagedived – IIRC Mega City 4 were on the same bill.

DezB
    Free Member

There was a comedy tent and I saw Eddie Izard

Vedder you mean? 😉

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

This thread has got me fizzin, listening to some stuff I havent touched in ages.

Also realised that both Jesus Lizard and Fvgazi are f’kin amazing:

Jesus Lizard – Live mouthbreather
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIERMxKaKCQ

Fugazi – Live Song#1

DezB
    Free Member

What became of Jane’s Addiction?

They are back 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Jane’s Addiction are ace! Like a modern day Led Zeppelin.

I saw them at Leeds Festival in 2002 and Manchester Apollo and both gigs were class. Might even be worth forking out the 80 odd quid 😯 to see them at Leeds this year.

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t seen them live, but tried to watch a live show on Sky Arts. Perry Farrell was such a knob-end I couldn’t watch it all! Wearing a black glittery outfit waving a bottle of wine around or something.
    Guitar on that new track is great though eh?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

He’s a rockstar Dez! A bit of flamboyance always goes down well and the red wine thing is a bit of a trademark. 😉

I do quite like the new song, and the last album was great too. The guitars are great on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTzMAFetLs

DezB
    Free Member

Too right – Strays probably my fave rock album of the last x years 🙂

(x = 10?)

tazzymtb

Janes addiction are fab, saw them many years ago 3rd on the bill to creaming jesus and fields of the nephilim. Pigs in zen is still one of my fave tracks ever

DezB
    Free Member

Early stuff worth exploring? Always thought they were a bit inconsistent so never bothered going back to Ritual or earlier.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

new Jane’s Addiction, good stuff. I agree Strays in an excellent album.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The early stuff is great – Nothing’s Shocking is my favourite album, better than Ritual IMO.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection!

Has anyone got the new Jane’s album? Just got it for me birthday, and only given it a few listens so far.

What do you think?

nickf
    Free Member

Has anyone got the new Jane’s album

heard it, but sadly, it does nothing for me. Oh Vienna.

(Yes, I know that dates me horribly)

duckman

Slimtubbing; I was right at the front for that gig; how disturbing was the lead singer of chumbawumba! Nun habit and a bloody crucifix….

hels
    Free Member

4 pages and still no mention of The Breeders ?

skaifan
    Free Member

I always felt that the grunge tag didn’t sit well with Nirvana when measured against other grunge bands, such as Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Their music was a lot more immediate and to the point. A lot less fret wankery too. I always felt that the band that suited the grunge tag best was Sonic Youth.
    I think In Utero is the most representative of what Nirvana were trying to achieve. Nevermind always sounds too polished, and Bleach sounds like a band trying to be part of something they were not.
    My favourite band from that age has to be Jesus Lizard. Id never given them a listen until I saw them 3 years ago. Best band I have ever seen. Incredibly intense from the second they walked on until they finished. Bunch of 50 year blokes showing younger bands how to play a rock show. Goat and Liar are definately worth a spin.
    I am currently listening to Dinosaur Jr and Mission of Burma. Sebadoh are worth a listen, start with Bakesale or Bubble and Scrape. They are an acquired taste.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I like the Breeders, Last Splash is my favourite album. Still, I’d rather listen to the Pixies though.

Nickf – that’s what I’m worried about, I wasn’t too impressed with the the first few album listens, except for the singles I’d heard already.

Guess I’ll have to see if it’s a grower.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

“I think In Utero is the most representative of what Nirvana were trying to achieve” +1

Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, alice in chains and soundgarden did it for me 😉

skaifan
    Free Member

hels – Member
    4 pages and still no mention of The Breeders ?

Never saw The Breeders as a grunge band. Pod is amazing though. I love the cover of Happiness Is A Warm Gun, and Im no Lennon fan and I dont like covers much either. Kim Deal always looks like she loves playing live.

clubber
    Free Member

Check out Senser – Age of Panic and then some of their other stuff – I absolutely loved their stuff around that era. Reminds me that I must listen to it again some time – it’s been ages!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4FZTM9rlco[/video]

MrNutt
    Free Member

you lot may appreciate this:

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/kurt_cobain_talks_about_literature_and_life

oh and why no mention of The Amps?

hels
    Free Member

I think the Breeders were on the Grunge continuum, veering towards Country it has to be said, but in there.

Saw them at the Big Day Out in Auckland in (er mumble) they blew all the other bands off the stage, pissed all over Soundgarden.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Senser +1

often played in the car before a bicycle ride

I forgot about the new Jane’s album, will have to go find it

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Senser’s “Eject” is one of my hot faves, especially for riding.
    Been listening to In Utero again a lot recently, really love “Tourettes” 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I heard the Jane’s album a few months back. Only listened to it once. Seemed very dull. My ears have moved on.

toby1

Seriously – 8 months ago I missed this thread, I have no idea how.

Nirvana, were great if they meant something to you at the time, now they are a talking point for most of the worlds music bores! Either listen and like or just leave it!

Grunge, was great, music moved on – I still want to go and visit Seattle though.

Anyone around that era surely got into Pantera then left grunge alone though right?

Mentions of Gorilla Biscuits and none of Rival Schools – the music ‘fans’ of this forum are dead to me, dead I say!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Pretty much any band from the early Sub Pop days/grunge scene outplayed them.

Well that’s wrong for a start.

Nirvana blew Mudhoney and Tad away on the FudgePackinCrackSmokinSatanWorshipinMotherfickers tour. That was 1989, I think. I don’t know how much earlier Sub Pop goes than that.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone around that era surely got into Pantera then left grunge alone though right?

Definitely not. Clichéd rock/metal bollocks blah!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Pantera?

Not on my watch, sonny!

edlong
    Free Member

+1 for Jane’s Addiction

-1 for Strays or the new one (The Great Escape Artist) though – okay in places but they don’t stand up to either Nothing’s Shocking or Ritual (or the “live” first album).

Just as well Jane’s can still cut it live, cos they’ve managed two albums in 20 years and neither of them are any good really.

Oh, and as a newbie who didn’t see the thread originally – much mockery for the person who suggested a couple of pages back that the Pixies ripped their sound off from Nirvana – suggest you need to look at the chronologies of those two bands a little more closely and then ask who was ripping off who’s sound there.

And, for the record, re. the original topic, my Nirvana albums in order of preference (not including bootlegs):

Bleach
    In Utero
    Incesticide
    Unplugged
    Nevermind

btw Jane’s Addiction were never “grunge” if that even meant anything, ever.

VanHalen

mudhoney and jesus lizard on my phone for riding home.

it might be pissing with rain and windy as hell but i`m well up for it.

gorrilla biscuits – no we are getting somewhere.. minor threat anyone?

skaifan
    Free Member

Yes to minor threat. Always felt it was a good name for a rabbit.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Nirvana – Grunge Content’ is closed to new replies.