Nirvana – Grunge Content

Home Forum Chat Forum Nirvana – Grunge Content

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • Nirvana – Grunge Content
  • iDave

cos they only wanted to be like the Pixies

john_drummer

the only one worth bothering with is Nevermind. Bleach & In Utero are just meh

emsz

Because “Smells like teen spirit” is a seminal work. That’s why 8)

sc-xc

when they are considered the epitome of the grunge scene?

…by the try-too-hards and those that little bit too late.

Pretty much any band from the early Sub Pop days/grunge scene outplayed them.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

john_drummer – Member

the only one worth bothering with is Nevermind. Bleach & In Utero are just meh

Yeah right… they sold out after Bleach.

I genuinely loved bleach, couldn’t wait for never mind and when it finally appeared it was such a disappointment.

And then they got famous and people liked them so obviously they must be shite then…

maybe you are just too young?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

They’re a band that hit an exquisite balance point between different influences in rock / pop, IMHO, without sounding compromised.

Mixing Black Flag, David Bowie and The Who sounds like a good idea, but it’s not necessarily a recipe for success. Nirvana pulled it off with ease – Cobain also has a superb voice IMO.

They got a bit whiny later on when it all got on top of him. Bleach and Nevermind remain exceptional.

GlitterGary

“maybe you are just too young?”

I don’t understand this statement, sorry!

Oh, and sc-xc – which bands do you reckon are better than Nirvana. I’m always keen to find new stuff.

iDave – πŸ™‚ I like it!

Ringo

Bleach was a fantastic album they were the bollox,

“maybe you are just too young?”

I don’t understand this statement, sorry!

Nirvana, for me, have to be viewed in the context of the time. Nevermind was huge and caused some massive changes to how “alternative” music was viewed.

sc-xc

GG – obviously Mudhoney and Tad, but Screaming Trees and early Soundgarden as well.

Saw Nirvana a few times – from small clubs to big shit festivals, and IMO they were never great.

I was always int the crustier side though. BTTP, Citizen Fish/Culture Shock, Senser, RDF, Blyth Power etc so grunge probably not aimed at me.

In Utero is *the* grunge sound, IMO.

Best one worth owning (& incesticide…)

Watch this & you’ll see why grunge was needed:
    (and i say that as a DLR fan…..)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsC7oEjCHAM[/video]

tazzymtb

which bands do you reckon are better than Nirvana. I’m always keen to find new stuff.

mudhoney, melvins, nymphs, sonic youth, babes in toyland and jesus liazrd all come to mind pretty much straight away

sc-xc you missed subhumans of the list πŸ˜‰

GlitterGary

Thanks sc-xc, much appreciated. I like Mudhoney and Screaming trees etc – I’ll look into the other bands you’ve mentioned.

anagallis_arvensis – I like the other bands mentioned from that period and was around then too. I guess I just don’t like ‘hype’ or whatever.

In Utero always appealed most, what album should I start with then people?

bigyinn

They got a bit “navel gazey” for me after Nevermind and I kinda lost interest. Still regret not seeing them live at the QM union at the height of their popularity (’90/’91?, it’s so long ago!).

sc-xc

I flipping love Subhumans tazzy. Anything with Dick is good with me. πŸ˜€

john_drummer

Yeah right… they sold out after Bleach.

Nevermind was the first album of theirs that I bought & it was amazing.
    I bought Bleach & In Utero afterwards & was largely unimpressed. To this day they’re all still in my CD collection but Nevermind is the only one that I play.

having said that I’ve been listening to Terrorvision a lot lately so it just goes to prove I have no taste πŸ˜‰

tazzymtb

Anything with Dick is good with me

that made me widdle myself with laughter!!

GlitterGary

Following on from the other music threads today, I’ve never owned a Nirvana album, nor have I ever given them much attention.

This is particularly strange as I really like grunge, from Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Screaming Tree etc. I even own a Stone Temple Pilots album.

But why no Nirvana, when they are considered the epitome of the grunge scene?

Am I just weird? Tell me why I should give them a listen please!

sc-xc

…and tazzy – teenage riot is my favouritist summer song. Had it on tonight whilst cruising in the drop top Laguna

tazzymtb

sc-xc if you like the crustier side of stuff have you heard any choking victim or leftover crack?

Omar Little

Dont overlook the Unplugged album either, amongst the best of the 90s IMO.

Actually that was a great couple of months for albums released back then. On consecutive weeks i ended up spending my paper round money on The Holy Bible – Manics, Portishead – Dummy, Definitely Maybe – Oasis, Grace – Jeff Buckley and Unplugged – Nirvana.

sc-xc

Nope Tazzy – but I am an old man now. My time was early 90’s – and I’m afraid I have lost my edge.

I’ll look them up now 8)

Marmoset

In Utero was their best IMHO.

Just putting all My Smashing Pumpkins onto Itunes – they were my favourite band of that era (still are nowadays as well..)

tazzymtb

sc-xc you is probably sort of my era is as I have fond memories of early senser with fun da mental at ANL festivals in the early 90’s πŸ˜€

GlitterGary

Ah, Smashing Pumpkins, how could I have left them out? Absolutely fantastic.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Got into Nirvana after hearing Sliver on John Peel, and I think they got better and better after that.
    In Utero can’t be dismissed – Milk It – the Pixies based their whole sound on that!
    Liked Mudhoney and Screaming Trees and Afghan Whigs, who kind of came from the same era, but the rest were sub-metal bands – Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, bleugh.
    Last time I heard Nirvana, Heart Shaped Box came up on shuffle on my iPod, sounded brilliant, singing me head off while riding along!
    Has there been any interesting guitar music since?

tazzymtb

Has there been any interesting guitar music since?

Tool are amazing πŸ˜€

emsz

Only ever listened to Siamese Dreams, and really only for Cherub Rock.

sc-xc

Tazzy – yep. Remember Papa Brittle, Ye Fungus, The Sea, Dreadzone, Zion Train, Chumawamba (when they were still ace)…venues round here like the Kiddi Market Tavern, Goldwyns, Edwards, JBs etc

Happy memories of the free festivals back then. Dreads, piercings, big jumpers and cider. Nowadays it’s shaved head, shiny shoes, suits and a job.

Been for a couple of tattoos with Joolz recently, good to chat about the good old days…still getting to gigs – just swapped the drug for a more legal one!

tazzymtb

Dreads, piercings, gothy stuff and snake bite n black. Nowadays it’s shaved head, shiny shoes, suits and a job.

quck edit… THATS ME

you is my brother from another mother!

GlitterGary

“sub-metal bands – Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, bleugh.”

Love both of those bands DezB, they’re more interesting than a lot of metal bands, they have the heavyness, the musicianship and the melody that a lot of metal is missing I reckon.

emsz

I don’t know half of these bands, I’m off to Spotify. 😳

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Yeah, I guess musically they are more interesting, it’s the vocals that put me off… Soundgarden – Plant copyist, Alice in Chains, well, Cobain copyist.
    Anyone mentioned Nickelback yet πŸ˜†

GlitterGary

Nickelback? Sticklebrick more like. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

mudhoney, melvins, nymphs, sonic youth, babes in toyland and jesus liazrd all come to mind pretty much straight away

Sonic Youth are obviously different class, but the Nymphs, babes in toyland and the Jesus lizard better than Nirvana? That’s not even wrong mate tbh with you. The Nymphs, **** hell I’m laughing reading that :D. Like comparing Elbry to Gee Atherton.

MrNutt

Nirvana was fantastic.

Also try Daniel Johnson and Neutral Milk Hotel

emsz

I found Dinosaur Jr through Farm. some really good stuff.

GlitterGary

Ah, how could I forget Dinosaur Jr too! Thanks Emz, I’ll have to dig out the old cd’s now…

tazzymtb

to me nirvana were just not that original, couple of good tracks but nothing I’d get all moist over, all of the bands I mentioned were better musicians and for me and my tastes wrote far better songs, but hey you’re entitled to your opinion………but you are massively WRONG πŸ˜†

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Nirvana – Grunge Content’ is closed to new replies.