Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nicola Sturgeon intervenes to halt rising timber costs
  • midlifecrashes

Anyone want 2000 odd strips of 2×1? Am I dreaming this?

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fpolitics%2F2022%2F02%2F02%2Fclassroom-doors-chopped-scotland-tackle-covid-spread%2F

I don’t suppose leaving the doors ajar would have the same effect?

martinhutch

150 quid to chop a bit off the bottom of each door? Time to get your table saw out of the garage and start bidding for the contract!

EDIT: Won’t this cause a slight issue with fire doors?

andrewh
    Free Member

EDIT: Won’t this cause a slight issue with fire doors?

Beaten to it!

revs1972
    Free Member

150 quid to chop a bit off the bottom of each door? Time to get your table saw out of the garage and start bidding for the contract!

Pretty sure this would be an emergency , so no need to put it out to tender. I’ve already been paid a 5% deposit to do the job

stevie750

Got as far as the banner that said the telegraph and realised I didn’t need to read any more

Drac

I’ve already been paid a 5% deposit to do the job

Hope they don’t cancel and demand the money back.

midlifecrashes

Got as far as the banner that said the telegraph and realised I didn’t need to read any more

Nice echo chamber you’re living in there.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19893231.covid-snp-education-secretary-wants-chop-class-doors/

revs1972
    Free Member

Hope they don’t cancel and demand the money back.

I shan’t be rolling over for them if they do 😉

scotroutes

Ah yes. Shirley Anne Dunderville. An excellent example of the calibre of Sturgeons cohort.

I believe that each off-cut is to be put aside and will later have a bit of string and carrot attached, just in time for the next elections

Rich_s

Anyone want 2000 odd strips of 2×1? Am I dreaming this?

She is the last woman I’d expect to get wood from. With the possible exception of Margaret Thatcher.

FuzzyWuzzy

That does sound pretty ridiculous vs having the door slightly ajar (I’m sure you could buy little rubber wedges for self-closing doors cheaper than £150 each).

40mpg

Not so daft, just use an intumescent air transfer grille. Its almost like someone has already thought of this!

So it will be a load of 300×150 ply panels to find a home for.

£25 per grille, 1.5 hrs x 2 chippy to remove door, cut & fix, replace door @ £40 and there’s room for a refundable deposit too.

matt_outandabout

It’s doable, but I bet doesn’t really solve the issue for many…

revs1972
    Free Member

£25 per grille, 1.5 hrs x 2 chippy to remove door, cut & fix, replace door @ £40 and there’s room for a refundable deposit too.

Ah , you are mixing up what it could be done for with the reality of a government contract. Gonna be at least 10x that price

onehundredthidiot

I’ve been in Scottish teaching for 20 years and have never heard of “Scottish teachers for…….. wellbeing” this vocal group
    We had all the wedges taken out of rooms and were told that doors should be open when no pupils in. I asked if that meant I was to spend a no contact holding the door open. Answer not worth repeating.

irc

“I’ve already been paid a 5% deposit to do the job”

They’ll want it back when they change their mind.

dyna-ti

Time to get your table saw out of the garage and start bidding for the contract!

No need for a tablesaw, you can get a saw called a *jamb saw, which works with the door still hung.

Meant for putting in flooring to cut the bottom of the door so it swings over the extra height of the new floor.

*Can also be used i should have said for door, though there is a basically the same machine for doors and it does the same thing and can also be used for trimming skirting and jambs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nicola Sturgeon intervenes to halt rising timber costs’ is closed to new replies.