Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Nicest Road Bike Ever… Pt2 (IMHO etc)
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

includes painted stem and seatpost. Bargain!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

includes painted stem and seatpost. Bargain!

Whilst they’re very pretty, I’d have to argue that they’re a complete waste of money. You’d be paying through the nose purely for a nichey, artisan product.

When you buy something like a Cervélo, you know you’re paying for something that has been built using the latest R&D techniques and constant feedback from pro teams. Sure, some of the ticket price goes towards sponsoring pro teams, but for me, the confidence in the product and the kudos of the resulting stage wins makes it money well spent.

How on earth can they justify £5k+ for a basic frameset – albeit with a very pretty paint job – when you can buy the best frames in the world for around £3.5k?

mboy
    Free Member

How on earth can they justify £5k+ for a basic frameset – albeit with a very pretty paint job – when you can buy the best frames in the world for around £3.5k?

Whilst in principle I agree with you, I’m going to give you a slight reality check… It’s a bicycle. You/I/we are not sponsored, we are using it as means of pleasure rather than transport, it is therefore in no way shape or form justifiable! It is merely a lavish expense to be enjoyed entirely by its owner. With that in mind, and judging “nicest” based purely on looks, why not get something super niche by a custom builder, even if it’s not as light/stiff/fast as a Race Rep frame…

So there! 😛

Anyway… Now I’ve taken my sensible shoes back off again… Very nice Cervelo! Though I’m still not sold on the DA 9000 chainset’s looks, still doesn’t do it for me sadly. The C24’s are a top notch wheel though, and so much better value (and barely any slower) than the deep section versions. That is a heck of a lot of layback on that seatpost too, is it a particularly steep angled frame that requires it?

aracer
    Free Member

The bigger the gear, the faster you can pedal safely before you ‘tuck’. It’s roughly 4mph faster than 53/12 at the sort of cadences I’d be turning.

A quick back of the envelope calulation suggests you reckon you’re doing 44mph in 53/12 – at a cadence of 127rpm. I’ll assume you’re doing that on a downhill (unless you’re a pro in a full on sprint), in which case you’re definitely going to go faster by stopping pedalling and tucking rather than clicking up a gear to make it to 48mph. Yes, we have discussed this before – just you don’t appear to have taken in the facts.

Plus, you get a wider, more useable range of gears on this setup.

Compared to a compact? You’ll have to explain to me how the wider range works?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Though I’m still not sold on the DA 9000 chainset’s looks

To be honest, I think it’s the dogs bollox… And partly because of those gawky looks. I love the science behind it, the hollow chainrings, the versatility… I think it represents real out-of-the-box thinking by Shimano.

Not sure if the angles would ever be described as steep, but they supply that post with all R5 framesets so they must feel it offers optimum riding position. It’s a very long head tube for a 56cm – apparantly pros prefer the extra stiffness of a long head tube and a lot use a downward angled stem to get a lower position…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Yes, we have discussed this before – just you don’t appear to have taken in the facts.

At 44mph, on a safe road, I’d always want to crank more – in a slightly tucked position, hands on the tops/elbows down/chin to the stem. 53/11 allows me to do this safely without the bike becoming unstable.

I get a “wider” range of gears because I have an extra cog, with 28 teeth. I used to just have a 25. Now I have all the same gears, including the 25, AND, a 28! So that is a “WIDER” range of gears. Can you see that?

Sticking with 53/39 makes the rations more “USEABLE” to my riding style, cadence and the type of roads I tend to ride on. I’ve explained this earlier: if I use a compact, I spend too much time flipping between chainrings.

Does this make sense to you now?

RustySpanner

Nice bike.

Looks a bit like a Boardman Team Carbon, which is also nice. I like those too. 😀

aracer
    Free Member

At 44mph, on a safe road, I’d always want to crank more – in a slightly tucked position, hands on the tops/elbows down/chin to the stem. 53/11 allows me to do this safely without the bike becoming unstable.

Maybe – you’d still go quicker if you stopped pedalling and tucked (unless you’re a pro in a sprint).

I get a “wider” range of gears because I have an extra cog, with 28 teeth. I used to just have a 25. Now I have all the same gears, including the 25, AND, a 28! So that is a “WIDER” range of gears. Can you see that?

Yes, but what’s that got to do with your “need” for 53/11 top gear?

maxtorque

Wow, that looks ace! Nice build too. If i were being 100% picky, i find the super slim seat stays a little too slim for the ultimate asthetics however 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Yes, but what’s that got to do with your “need” for 53/11 top gear?

I use it all the time, so I’d miss it if it wasn’t there. Getting rid of my top end gears would benefit me in no way whatsoever. the 11-speed groupset allowed me to keep EXACTLY the same gears that I’m used to, PLUS have one lower gear that is EXACTLY the same gear length as I would have if I put a compact on my current bike.

The only time I ever wished I had a compact was on 25% hills which forced me to stand and mash rather than sit and spin efficiently. This set-up will address that problem without me having to sacrifice the gears I’m used to and use regularly. Capiche?

aracer
    Free Member

Do you not find the jump between 15 and 17 really irritating? That’s in the gear range I use all the time, and I’d really miss the 16 – though granted I’m not strong enough to get any benefit out of a 53/11, so maybe you rarely use sprockets that big.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Do you not find the jump between 15 and 17 really irritating?

I’ve never noticed it as being a bigger jump than other gears. Oh christ, now you’ve pointed it out I’m gonna be looking for it!!

wwaswas

*visions of aracer gleefully rubbing his hands and saying ‘Reeeesssullttt’*

Shibboleth
    Free Member

* Visions of Shibby thinking he’d found a good way of making aracer pipe down 😉

wwaswas

you guys 😉

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t get rid of me that easily 😈

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just off out for 90 mins endurance miles on the winter bike… I’ll see if I can spot that MASSIVE jump… 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Make sure you also let us know how much you use that MASSIVE gear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

53/11 is daft IMO, how often are you using it? Each to their own and all. I too hate not having a 16T – anyone who doesn’t can’t spend much time grinding out training miles I’d guess.

Then again, when you are pedalling in top gear, who says it’s always faster to tuck? Some evidence aracer, I missed the thread in question (sadly). Depends on gradient Shirley?

Mister-P
    Free Member

53/11 is daft IMO, how often are you using it?

I use it all the time, so I’d miss it if it wasn’t there

The question was answered before you even asked it.

Nice bike 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah, I see. 1st cat or cadence of <70?

aracer
    Free Member

I use it all the time, so I’d miss it if it wasn’t there

Ah – I missed that too. Explains why he doesn’t miss the 16, though in that case I’m confused by the need for the 28, or even an 11s cassette.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Make sure you also let us know how much you use that MASSIVE gear.

Only used it once last night but the ride didn’t incorporate any big hills. According to my Cateye, I hit 44mph descending Brockholes Brow out of Preston – it’s one of those descents where it’s safer to go full gas and keep up with the traffic in rush hour.

I probably used it on 4 or 5 descents on Sunday’s ride – a lumpy 50mile loop round the Pennines.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is a nice bike, who really cares what gears you use except you?

The only change I would do is put some carbon 35mm tubs on it.

Then ride until it broke into bits.

😆

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks Bikebouy, maybe next year for the deep sections! The C24s do a great job for now at a good price. Nice and light too…

I’ll be keeping my current race bike for Crit racing – I’d rather not get tangled up in one of the frequent crashes on a £5k bike! So I think the C24s should be fine for the type of riding I’ll be doing.

Solo
    Free Member

It is a nice bike, who really cares what gears you use

Yeah.

Don’t listen Shibby. Just get out there and enjoy that new bike.
    🙂

EDIT:
    Have you fitted those red cable ends yet.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

No Solo! I think I’m gonna stick with the black ones for a classier look. Red might just have looked a bit like I was trying too hard… 😀

Solo
    Free Member

I think I’m gonna stick with the black ones

I knew it, I have no taste.
    🙁

Anyway, joking aside. Nice ride, enjoy !.
    😀

aracer
    Free Member

Only used it once last night but the ride didn’t incorporate any big hills. According to my Cateye, I hit 44mph

I’m confused. According to the calcs I did up there, at the sort of cadences you’d be turning you should still have been in the 12 at that speed.

BTW did you remember to check how much faster you went when you stopped pedalling and tucked?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Here’s a useful link to stop you having to make your inaccurate back-of-a-fag-packet calculations.

On 53/11 at 44mph, I was turning 115rpm. If I’d had a 12 (which would be a completely pointless change to my setup), I would have been spinning at over 130!

And it’s not a hill that would benefit from tucking – it’s not particularly steep and takes a maximal effort on a big gear to keep up with the traffic. Only the traffic draft and a tailwind makes it possible to get that sort of speed…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Red

Shibboleth
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member

Red

Oh no, I’ve ordered black and now the vote has swung! 😕

Andy

Hmmmm that is nice

Cable ends? I’d use solder as far neater so neither colour 🙂

walleater

Hmmmm Chinese carbon from some Canadians who try to sound European! I like their business model.

Wookster

walleater – Member
    Hmmmm Chinese carbon from some Canadians who try to sound European! I like their business model.

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I tip my hat to you Sir! I just laughed out loud on a ferry!

Lush bike OP!

carbon337
    Free Member

I use a 53/11 for sprinting in crits and closed circuits. Its a proper man gear, dont like it take your compact and mince along.

Nice bike OP enjoy mallorca, ill be there myself in 50 days 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

good choice on wheels btw (especially for that bike) very nice

cynic-al
    Free Member

115 vs 130 is a big difference?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

115 vs 130 is a big difference?

Not massive, but it’s a difference. And there would be absolutely no point in making the change to a 12-tooth sprocket… Or am I missing something??

Thanks Walleater, I like their business model too, they make beautiful bikes 😀

Carbon337, here are you heading? I’m off to Pollensa in April… Might get another few days in prior to that if work permits…

carbon337
    Free Member

Pollensa April 13-20th. Duva Hotel.

Was wanting to head out sooner before racing starts on 17th March but for one reason or another we couldnt get sorted. There are 2 of us going and another 2 who are apart of another biger bike club but whom we know.

Probably riding as a 4 or members of the bigger group on recovey days. If your around let me know, mail in profile.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Nicest Road Bike Ever… Pt2 (IMHO etc)’ is closed to new replies.