Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The price of computing
  • Cougar

Next time you’re balking at paying a hundred quid for 3Tb of storage, spare a thought for Tandy owners in 1983.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m still saving for that 12mb HDD 😉

Cougar

There’s a 5Mb one later in the catalogue that’s more competitively priced. It’s only £2495.

scuzz
    Free Member

Pah, what a fad. They’ll never catch on.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I suppose I don’t really need the 12…. Will I ever fill up 5mb?

leffeboy

trs-80 – memory tastic. Good find

PJay
    Free Member

The way that computer technology has advanced is mind blowing. 5Mb back then was massive, our Sinclair ZX81 from around the same time had less than 1K of system ram (our first harddrive years later was 20Mb).

Cougar

It still amuses me that I’ve an order of magnitude more permanent storage on my keyring than I had in my first PC.

RAM wise, I remember being staggered when the 16-bit era rolled around. Going from a 48Kb Spectrum to a 512Kb Atari ST was just insane.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I can remember getting 8mb or extra ram put in my old beige box. The cost was astronomical. As said above I have 32gb on my keyring which is full. I could never in a million years even imagined filling 1gb back in my 8mb ram upgrade days.

Wonder what my grand kids will be rocking if I am lucky enough to have them.

wwaswas

My first coding job was Assembler on an ICL System 25.

We had 32kb per user available for all application and data storage.

Disk storage was on removable platters that stored about 256Mb across 10 surfaces that were about 2ft across – you can see the cases for the platters on top of the drives in this shot;

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a 16Mb hard drive for my Atari from ebay whilst I was at uni. I installed all the serious software I had on it (games mostly couldn’t be installed on the hd) and it filled up 8Mb.

I recently picked up an SM124 monitor actually, and got it all down to have a play. Turns out the mouse is broken.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The price of computing’ is closed to new replies.