Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Nice bivi spot (with bike) in the Dark Peak
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve got a free night on Friday so I’m planning to drive over to the Peak, ride somewhere, camp then ride back to the car Saturday morning, probably putting a few miles in. I’ve camped on foot round there before, and ridden loads but most of the spots I’d usually walk to would be a pain on the bike.

So – any good suggestions? Will probably park in Hope, was thinking maybe the top of Cut Gate or near Mount Famine / South Head might be good, and someone’s suggested Cracken Edge but I’m open to suggestion.

Cheers.

whitestone
    Free Member

Anywhere that is out of sight of houses, farms, etc. Shouldn’t be too bad at this time of year with full leaf cover. Adjust according to weather, midges, etc. Remember that the countryside at night is very dark and even small light sources are very apparent.

Identifying specific sites on an open forum isn’t a good idea (IMO) as it can lead to overuse and subsequent clamp down.

flyingmonkeycorps

Fair point.

Yeah, I’d generally try to be well out of sight of anywhere wherever I go, and obviously no fires or anything (wherever I go, but doubly so in the Peak).

AlexSimon

Top of Cut Gate is a little less scenic than some others.
    I’ve stayed on Higger Tor before (stunning), but it’s close proximity to the road made it too busy late at night. Quiet in the morning.

It did mean that I rode Stanage Edge without a soul to worry about at 7:00am though 🙂

In fact that’s one of the things I tend to do – find somewhere that’s normally a bit sensitive to ride and do it the morning after the Bivvy.

Stanage Edge is the perfect example, but also Derwent Edge, Win Hill, Bamford Edge, Kinder, etc. Kinder is a bit full-on to ride though so injury is a possibility. A group of you would be better.

Maybe the rocky areas on the top of Derwent Edge?

Mount Famine / South Head are too close to the road/civilisation for my tastes.

Midges are the worst I’ve experienced in a while, so take a net for  your face and some repellent unless you know for sure the area is clear. I’ve found a couple of spots which seem unaffected, but they aren’t in the Dark Peak.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Nice bivi spot (with bike) in the Dark Peak’ is closed to new replies.