Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • NFL – Anyone follow it?
  • 136stu
    Free Member

Probably a bit late to subscribe to anything this season but where is best to view it? BBC1 and C5 both have a weekly half-hour round-up but both are fairly poor in content and presentation.

rogermoore

For me, the BBC coverage seemed to drop off a little this year when it was cut from 2 programs a week to one (this might have been covid related?) And then Mark Chapman called it a day too. Not watched the C5 program.

I’ve had Sky Sports for the last couple of years so watch red-zone weekly and usually catch a some of the game highlights midweek.

The Jason & Osi podcast is pretty good if you’re into that kind of thing?
    RM.

BillOddie

NFL is on Sky or on their own service called Gamepass.

I quite like gamepass, there are 3 levels.

Free, Essential and Pro.  They show you what you get on each level on the website.

Essential costs £40 a season but you can upgrade to Pro for a tenner on black friday. Which is what I do.

There are various free (read illegal) ways to stream it but to be honest I can’t be arsed with these nowadays.

sockpuppet

Avidly, and for free!

I mostly watch the 12-15 minute highlights that the NFL put up on YouTube, usually watch before breakfast

The superb owl is usually live on the bbc with US commentary during play & uk pundits before & halftime & post game.

I quite liked the NFL Show on the beeb but it’s waned a bit the last two seasons, chappers seems to have lost interest & lockdown recording had killed it.

Did t see the conference games yet? Going to be an interesting SB this year.

Edit: I should add that I don’t have time in my life to sit and watch three hours of football live (or any other sport) unless it’s the Super Bowl in the middle of the night, so no live coverage isn’t an issue for me. I just try to avoid spoilers. Easy enough to do til breakfast!

ayjaydoubleyou

NFL youtube do a highlyight show of every game. usually 10 mins per game, may be a bit longer now we are into the post season with not many games.

I used to be into it big time, and actually liked the BBC show as you got some context rather than quickfire highlights of exciting plays with absotlely no idea what was going on in the game.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Sky have a dedicated NFL channel, but there’s also the NFL Red Zone show on Sky Sports Mix, Sunday evenings if you don’t want to subscribe to their sports channels. It’s a live real-time show, usually two or three games on screen at any one time, as & when each team gets anywhere near the opposing end zone. They flick from one game to another really fast so there’s hardly any break in play. Which for a 60 minute sport that takes three to four hours to play, is remarkable.

Not sure I’d want to sit through four hours at Soldier Field or Lambeau Field in the middle of winter. Never mind 90 minutes at Stoke on a cold wet Tuesday night in November

ayjaydoubleyou

I used to be into it big time, and actually liked the BBC show as you got some context

To reply to myself – I’ve not watched it at all this season, just not really had the interest, at least in part because this year september was full of MTB racing so I never got started.

From other people’s comments, seems the BBC show has waned.

rogermoore

From other people’s comments, seems the BBC show has waned.

I’ve loved the BBC show too over the last few years, the 2 show format was great with one being general chat/analysis and the other more focussed on game highlights. Swapping it to one just didn’t work for me – especially it being late on a Saturday night so by the time I caught up on a Sunday it’s all a bit old news. A real shame.
    RM.

white101

Have been interested since Ch4 did it in the 80’s. I don’t have Sky so my coverage is limited to the BBC show and you tube.
    Osi and Jason Bell are great fun, think they miss Chappa’s.

I’ve been in a fantasy league with mates for 10yrs and we generally all go out for the Superbowl every year to a bar in town, eat crap, drink beer and take the next day off work.

curto80
    Free Member

Red zone is one of the best things on tv.

Been a Chiefs fan since 1985 so feeling pretty good (if tired) today 🙂

136stu
    Free Member

Have been interested since Ch4 did it in the 80’s.

I used to watch avidly back then, I seem to remember watching full games but with all the hoopla removed.

As for Jason and Osi, obviously great knowledge etc but their style is a bit too hyper for me.

white101

I borrowed my mates red zone log in once, the most amazing coverage of sport I’ve seen!

steve-g
    Free Member

Another one on the Gamepass here. The sky sports coverage is ok but it rarely has the game that I would choose to watch as the one they are showing and I’ve never gotten into watching Red Zone.

I probably dont get my money’s worth for half the season as I’m just watching a sunday 6 o’clock game once a week regularly, then maybe the occasional 9pm one. From thanksgiving onwards I start watching a bit more then like above try to find a pub showing the superbowl and for with a few mates and take the monday off.

Had £25 on kansas to retain it at 7-1 pre season so looking forward nervously

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Bit early but does anyone fancy a STW fantasy league next year? Just had my first year of doing it, and it’s genuinely enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

rogermoore

Had £25 on kansas to retain it at 7-1 pre season so looking forward nervously

Really? I’d have spent the winnings already! 😀
    RM.

curto80
    Free Member

I wouldn’t spend it just yet…

We should beat Brady, but NFL is the most random of sports. We need our pass rush to be as dominant as it was last night and then we’re in business. Mahomes, Kelce and Hill have looked so in the zone the last two games after a regular season of being at 80% most weeks

curto80
    Free Member

@dirtylyle sign me up, great idea

CountZero

Have been interested since Ch4 did it in the 80’s.

I was, but I haven’t really followed it for years. Seahawks fan, although the Baltimore Ravens are appealing, if only because I love ravens, and they’ve got a really cool logo!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Done. Will do another thread nearer to the time. Winner can get a Christian Okoye jersey maybe ;-)…

egb81
    Free Member

Really enjoyed this season, though my fantasy team did terribly. I was rooting for the Bills but Mahomes and co put a stop to that. I’d be up for another fantasy league.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I’m still traumatised by getting to the final in 4 leagues and getting absolutely destroyed in 3 of them. It still hurts..

johndrummer
    Free Member

Giants fan here but 49ers are testing my loyalty by buying big style into my (round ball game) team Leeds United.

rOcKeTdOg

Yes since the Nicky Horne days on ch4 in 1982 & been a “Washington football team” (can’t get used to that) fan since then

steve-g
    Free Member

Count me in for a fantasy league sure. I was the strongest team in mine over the long haul this season but the other guy in the final had Kamara and it was on christmas so I got obliterated

baboonz
    Free Member

Red zone is one of the best things on tv.

Probably the closest thing to crack on TV. They’ve got that the programme structure perfectly dialled down.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Just to reiterate what most have said already, Redzone is a great way of watching the Sunday games, though I haven’t managed a 7 hour sitting yet. I also enjoyed the BBC coverage but again dropping the second show has weakened the coverage they provide. Having to wait until Sunday morning to watch highlights from the previous weekends makes it less topical. When Osi produced his two Superbowl rings to trump JBell was very funny.

For my sins I am a Raiders fan. Another under performing year, our defence is woeful. We beat the Saints and the Chiefs yet got humped by lesser teams. Not convinced by Gruden since he took over.

curto80
    Free Member

@prophet2 the whole team philosophy seems to be built around just beating the Chiefs. Both of the last two seasons you’ve looked play-off worthy in the first half of the season and then fallen apart after the second Chiefs game. The obsession with beating us is all very flattering and everything but at some point Gruden needs to concentrate on making it sustainable over 16 games.

Prophet2
    Free Member

@curto80 I would rather lose both games to the Chiefs and win the other 14, that would be perfect 🙂

I know one player doesn’t make a team but it’s unreal what Mahomes can do on the football field. And the plays that Reid runs, a match made in NFL heaven.

For the Raiders, if only we could get a pass rusher. Oh yeah we had one of the best and traded him away….

curto80
    Free Member

Absolutely – watching mahomes is unreal, just so much fun. God I hope he stays healthy for the next 15 years! It’s crazy how much difference one player can make. It wasn’t like this with Alex Smith!

cashback

I agree the bbc dropping to one show has lost something for them.
    And at the risk of getting all gossipy I didn’t really understand what happened between mark and osi. After 5 years of making out they were all good mates, mark leaves (understandably, his wife did die this year) and the other two don’t mention him once on the show or their podcast.
    It is noticeable that they are both doing more pieces to camera now, so maybe there was a conflict based on that.

egb81
    Free Member

I really liked the style that Chappers, Osi and Jason had. I don’t like Dan Walker at all.

For my sins I am a Raiders fan

Could be worse, you could be a Jets fan. They can’t even tank properly!

roger_mellie

The BBC show is picking up for me now. Dan is settling in, although the slightly false “aren’t we great mates” shtick is a bit off putting at times, but at least he has done his homework and is trying to be inclusive to new viewers. I suspect they cut the shows down to 1 due to Covid; I mainly watched the highlights one.

Maybe Osi took offence at Chappers leaving after the season had already started, although personally I hope I’d be cutting Chappers more slack in the circumstances.

49ers fan here, nothing to see here this season 😄

inkster
    Free Member

I always found Dan Walker a bit of a plonker but TBF, when you consider that he’s taken over mid-season, under a strange atmosphere the boy’s done rather well.

IIRC, the first season was just Chappers and Osi, they developed a rapport and an ebullient style that was different for sports shows and worked really well. It took Jason Bell a season to get in the groove with the other two when he joined.

I thought Dan Walker would be eaten alive by the other two but he’s been as sharp as a tack from the get go. If anything he gets in a few more jabs in than Chapman which for me, over rides any sense of fake bonhomie.

The show suffers most from the single show format. Although the last few weeks the new team have managed to adapt pretty well. I actually think Walker seems more confident and natural presenting NFL than he does the football.

fatoldgit

Disappointed with the Packers doing a Leeds ( my main team ) and falling at last hurdle again.

However Super Bowl could be a classic, it’s got a great QB match up
    Brady v Mahoney
    The old Master v potentially the next master of the bowl

Could well be worth staying up to watch

curto80
    Free Member

Soooo nervous

TomB

Just watched the bbc preview show on iplayer in preparation, should be a great game….

pondo

Looking forward to the annual ‘falling asleep ten minutes in to the first quarter of the superbowl. 🙂

136stu
    Free Member

Cant face 3+ hours of Jason and Osi so invested £7.99 on Game Pass.

roger_mellie

Edit – was being a bit harsh. Anyway, I think Dan should’ve been given the Superbowl coverage for the BBC.

My money is making it till half time before falling asleep 😄

davosaurusrex

JB called it when he said no matter what Mahones does afterwards if Brady beats him in this match Mahones will never better than him.
    Hadn’t thought of it like that, my word this is going to be interesting. If it lives up to the hype it could be legendary.

Still can’t stand Brady, c’mon Chiefs!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.