Viewing 38 posts - 121 through 158 (of 158 total)
  • NFL – Anyone follow it?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

C’mon SF 49ers!

theotherjonv

Not a huge follower, but watching so far.

Why do some of the SF players have red socks when team uniform seems to be white?

frankconway

Hyerbolic drivel and steroids.

rOcKeTdOg

I usually have coffee and haribo to stay awake

Why do some of the SF players have red socks when team uniform seems to be white?

Same reason some of the KC players are wearing yellow cleats and gloves (Kelsey in particular)

CountZero

You’re mixing them up with Russian Olympic athletes…

They’re no different to Rugby players, who’re much, much bigger than they were twenty years ago, only Rugby players don’t wear huge layers of armour. They also eat their dead…

I used to follow it when Channel 4 showed it regularly, but I haven’t watched it for years. I couldn’t be arsed to watch it tonight, neither team are one I used to be interested in years back – I might have if the Seattle Seahawks had been playing.

Cougar

Half time.

I’m rooting for the Chiefs but think the Niners will win. It’s going to be close either way, I’m expecting a KC comeback.

alpin
    Free Member

Heard some statistics the other day about the “super” bowl.

Some septics were getting upset that Taylor Swift was shown for something like 20 seconds. People saying it takes away from the game.

Turns out that for a three or four hour show the ball was in play for only 18 minutes.

And to the OP’s question, no, because it’s shit.

Kuco

Hoping 49ers can extend their lead. I’d like to see McCaffrey get a Super Bowl ring, especially after spending years at Carolina.

rOcKeTdOg

And to the OP’s question, no, because it’s shit

“Probably a bit late to subscribe to anything this season but where is best to view it? BBC1 and C5 both have a weekly half-hour round-up but both are fairly poor in content and presentation.”

? Perhaps you should read it? ⬆️

theotherjonv

Same reason some of the KC players are wearing yellow cleats and gloves (Kelsey in particular)

Ok, why’s that?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I don’t follow it these days but did avidly for Few years when I was just a kid so I remember the teams and basics of the game.  I was rooting for Patrick Mahone after watching Quarterback on Netflix,  he seems a genuine nice guy.

anagallis_arvensis

Did Rees Zammit win the world series final bowl or something?

benpinnick

It’s a quirk of the rules which has become a thing. You have to wear the kit as approved for the game except socks… Which have to just be an approved colour for your team. So players choose the colour they like best. Some like matchey matchey white, some like traditional red+gold I guess. Some players take it further and wear random other colours sometimes, and get fined for the privilege, but they can afford it.

theotherjonv

Ta, I’d never noticed before. I wondered if there was some significance, eg: rookie year or whatever. I know in training some players have different coloured tops so you don’t tackle injured or valuable players, but had ruled that out in a proper game.

Hadge
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the game and the result. Because I’m a Cowboys fan and didn’t want them being 6 times winners – sorry 9er’s fans (I’m sure you’d be rooting for the Boys if we were there – not)

Chiefs defence was outstanding, as was San Fran’s being honest but Mahomes is just sublime. Feeling it now as I stayed awake and then went into work. Early night for me later………..

curto80
    Free Member

In bits this morning. The tension and emotion of that was unreal. If you’d promised me that back in December when I was freezing my nads off in the “cheap” seats at arrowhead watching us lose to the Bills I’d never have believed you.

we did it the hard way all through the play offs. Fitting for Mecole to win it after what he went through last year.

really shouldn’t have opened that Laphroig at the end though. First drink for 3 years and it tells.

Cougar

Well, that was an astonishing game. I said it’d be close.

I got a bit bored of the commentators flip-flopping between The Mahones Show and Taylor Swift. Either Kelce or Butker were MVP for me, both were outstanding.

Kuco

Enjoyed that even if the Chiefs did win, good close game. Mahones only seemed to get stronger as the game wore on. For me, MVP would either have been McCaffery for 49ers who must be absolutely **** today, or Pacheco for the Chiefs.

Got a bit **** off with the camera constantly flipping to Taylor Swift.

toby1

Cheap seats $10k, central lower seats up to $67k o_O

I’m glad I’m not the sort of person that wants to be at the Superbowl!

*Based on a random video on reddit, but I don’t doubt the costs.

rOcKeTdOg

central lower seats up to $67k

Yea, I looked into ticket prices, $65k got you a booth with hospitality and was for 2 tickets, so not all that bad fur Superbowl in Vegas

ElShalimo

$65k ?

So about the same as a Santa Cruz eBike

rOcKeTdOg

So that’s why Kelsey pushed Andy Reid!

Screenshot_20240212-202449

steve-g
    Free Member

Great finish to the game, walk off TD to win the superbowl.

I wanted the chiefs to win so was pleased, I thought offensively they were well off it all game until when it really counted. There were a few good plays strung together under pressure in that final drive.

Kelce was absent for the full first half.

McCaffreys yards after contact were just ridiculous, he seemed to squeeze out another 3 or 4 yards every single time compared to Pacheco who was getting stopped dead every time.

49rs deserved the win overall I think but the mistakes let them down, the punt return gift, and then the missed extra point to make it a 4 point game. If either of those mistakes don’t happen then I think they win.

14 yo daughter stayed up and watched it too, primarily because Taylor swift was in the crowd, but she enjoyed the spectacle and the tense finish.

Long wait til next season

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Having watched the 6N & the SB at the weekend the reactions couldn’t be more different.

In rugby all the talk is about the laws, the refereeing & the TMO. Nobody mentions the play.

In the NFL it’s all about the game. (And Taylor Swift but she’s the biggest pop star in the world & she’s at the game so it’s big news.)

This shows how the NFL has it got it all right and rugby continues to get it all (badly) wrong. Even the game’s showpiece event, the RWC final, was ruined by another red card.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

They’re no different to Rugby players, who’re much, much bigger than they were twenty years ago, only Rugby players don’t wear huge layers of armour

They’re very different.

Sure, rugby players are bigger than they were but they still need endurance for running around for 50 minutes until they get subbed.

NFL players are stronger & more powerful across the board. It’s an explosive game followed by a rest after each play.

Helmet & pads allow you to hit harder. They’re not protection – they’re weapons.

wbo
    Free Member

Years ago I was in the US and got tickets and passes for a game between Denver and San Diego via a friend who worked for Nike knowing the GM of the Chargers.  It might look slow at times on TV but in the stadium they seemed to truck along pretty quickly till the last quarter, and it was really good to watch  –  very easy to watch and follow, the best live team sport I’ve seen

But don’t bother with baseball

fazzini

It’s an explosive game followed by a rest after each play.

I’m guessing you’ve never played Corner then… 🥵🥵🥵 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’ve never played Corner then

OLB\DE for me.

You little guys can run more!

Cougar

In rugby all the talk is about the laws, the refereeing & the TMO.

Sorry, TMO?

Helmet & pads allow you to hit harder. They’re not protection – they’re weapons.

Prior to proper helmets, American Football players were dying.

Rugby and US Football are superficially similar to the casual observer. Both have an odd-shaped ball and… uh, I don’t know, it’s played on a field by blokes? I don’t really understand why some Rugby fans have to insist on reminding us all how much better their sport is and how much harder their players are (see also: “Wendyball”). Maybe it’s confirmation bias on my part but it does seem to be a phenomenon fairly unique to rugby.

Cougar

Anyone who cannot grok the stop-start nature of US Football really should stay away from Baseball. Ostensibly, in between long stretches of nothing happening, very little happens. It makes cricket look breathtakingly exciting.

It was on TV when I was in a dive bar in Chicago one time, the bloke on the next bar stool (USA, the land of “hey, where are you from?” any time I open my mouth) was properly into it. I thought, OK, let’s roll with it, “tell me all about it.” Which with hindsight was my first mistake. I now know all about baseball and I still don’t understand the appeal.

You know how they jazzed up Cricket by letting them wear colour and have matches which last less than a week? Inside Baseball I think there’s a decent game waiting to get out but as it stands it is so desperately dull.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Thought SB was great, one for the purist…. lots of excellent defending

Ultimately a $500m QB gets you more than a $5m one !!

How 49ers didn’t win in OT is really the story for me….  2nd 3  on the 15 yard line (or something like that) but don’t complete the TD or 1st down is really poor.

mefty
    Free Member

very easy to watch and follow, the best live team sport I’ve seen

Having been to a Superbowl I would like to go a regular season game to see the difference. The finalists get allocated remarkably few tickets for the Superbowl which means that there aren’t that many partisan fans who are heavily invested in the result. There was lots of performative excitement but I thought it was one of the most soulless sporting events I have been to.

DickBarton

The Taylor Swift Awareness show? Didn’t watch it…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Couldn’t disagree more.

In between the long periods of nothing happening – you can drink beer! Lots of beer!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Having been to a Superbowl I would like to go a regular season game to see the difference
    College football is even better, in person. I can’t overstate how much fun a big college game on a Saturday night can be.
    fazzini

You little guys can run more!

OI! I resemble that comment 😉

DrJ

Turns out that for a three or four hour show the ball was in play for only 18 minutes.

I spent a good many years in the Yoo Ess of  Ey and once made the mistake of going to a football game. After sitting around for hours and hours I looked at the clock and it said that there were 5 minutes left to play. Hours later I was still there

And to the OP’s question, no, because it’s shit.

Right first time.

I’m rooting for the Chiefs

Sorry to pick on you, but why do people “support” teams they they have no relation to whatsoever. I suppose it’s the same as Islington luvvies “supporting” Man Utd, but it always looks like an advanced symptom of mental decay.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Wow…

You ok hun ?

Viewing 38 posts - 121 through 158 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.