Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • new years eve………big issue or not.
  • ton

i have never understood the big fuss made over new years eve.
    why the big issue???

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nor me. Mates popping around for some games/drinks, then off to bed!

Onzadog
    Free Member

when's that happening?

Smee
    Free Member

It's a good excuse for a piss up.

beej

Can't help you there, I've never quite got it either. It's good for a few drinks/night out/in with friends as most have the next day off, but no different to a Saturday night.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm a bit disappointed because I'm having a quiet one this year and normally it's a chance to see all my mates.

ton

the few times i have been out to a pub for it, it has been okish, then some k nobhead put that **** awefull song on at midnight.

talk about pi55ing on the parade……. 🙄

hilldodger
    Free Member

Going out for a 'blue moon' ride a bit later, never really got the NYE thing either……..

Pigface
    Free Member

Nothing special for me, for those that it is have a good time.

nickname
    Free Member

I'll either be asleep or mashing buttons on the xbox 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – Premier Member
    Nor me. Mates popping around for some games/drinks, then off to bed!

Pictures and let us know whether they were all a good shag 😀

mojo5pro
    Free Member

just a load of hype, people go out cos they feel they ought to rather than want to…. And what exactly are we celebrating? 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What are we celebrating? The turning of the year – hogmanay was originally on the solstice but got moved with changes to the calendar.

Its always been far more important to me than Christmas

mojo5pro
    Free Member

TJ – exactly it's not the turning of the year that's the solstice. The actual 1st of Jan is not significant.

igm

I just don't think it works south of the border.
    The difference from Saturday night is that it only really starts at about 1150 (the rest is just warm up) and should be still going 'til daylight. To me it's a better do than Christmas – more laid back friends orientated (some friends you've never met before and never will again), not like the high pressure family stuff at Christmas.
    And I've never woken up in the wrong city on a Christmas do – one Hogmany party started in Glasgow, but headed over to Edinburgh about 1030, and we were gate crashing the third party at 0300 (we were made very welcome, though I still have no idea who they were)
    The first time I went out in England was York. About 100 people (not the 100s I was expecting) turn up at the Minster for the bells, midnight came and I thought excellent this is where the party kicks off properly (the pubs were as you say just like Saturday night). Everyone went home! I couldn't believe it.

bananaworld
    Free Member

(takes bait)

Come on, Ton, give the homeless guys a break – it nets them a few quid and it's not a bad read.

bigsi
    Free Member

Its just another excuse for the retail sector to cash in and for pubs to charge you stupid money to stand in the bar where you could stand for the rest of the year for free. 😕

I would just let it pass me by but the other half always gives me grief as i don't want to celebrate it 🙄

DrRSwank
    Free Member

It is a time of reflection. A time to look back at the last 12 months, and to realise what may not have gone wrong, and then to drunkenly promise that you won't make the same mistakes next year – but you will.

Oh, and the winter solstice is the traditional end of one year and the beginning of the next.

It has lost its true meaning in the modern society and is now just an excuse to get pi$$ed with mates or family. How anyone can think it's a great idea to begin the hope of a new year with a crippling hangover is beyond me.

But having said that – I am enjoying my wine tonight 😉

It's a Catena Malbec from Argentina. If I have a NYs resolution it would be to drink more of the stuff.

CHEERS 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

i have never understood the big fuss made over new years eve.
    why the big issue???

Guess you're English then ton

coogan
    Free Member

Be another one next year I think.

ton

for all you guys north of the border, who should by now be half cut……what makes it so special then.
    what are you celebrating.

aracer
    Free Member

Finished reading the Big Issue before Xmas – don't think there's a new one out yet?

Nico
    Free Member

Funny you should mention this because I saw my local Big Issue seller ("Big Issue, thank you very much, God bless you") in Sainsbury's buying several bottles of champagne today. Business can't be bad for him.

cinnamon_girl

ton – get yourself invited to a Hogmanay gathering north of the border. Only the Scots know how to do it!

cinnamon_girl

ton – the Scots don't get half cut til after "the bells". They know how to pace themselves 8)

clunker

Have come down to Cornwall with my three children and wife. Just got the little ones in bed, now enjoying a nice local real ale. Going bed in a few minutes and get out on the bike early tomorrow. Rock and Roll 8)

Curly68
    Free Member

I have no mates, the ex has gone out without asking if I was doing anything and left me with my daughter. Don't know what the fuss is and can't wait to get rid of this year as it has been one of the worst I've had, thats for sure.

ton

chin up curly mate
    things can only get better……. 8)

elaineanne
    Free Member

im not even drunk yet…….lol..wots ont box …owt or nowt…. reight time for the wine glass me thinks…. abit of rose wine will do…cheeers… HAPPY NEW YEAR…..
    maybe i shud have a midnite ride….to celebrate…lol

Curly68
    Free Member

Cheers ton. Got to get a bit worse before they get better though.

AlasdairMc

I'm in the house with my wife, just having a relatively relaxing one. I may fire into a whisky or two at the bells, but that'll be me.

druidh
    Free Member

When I was a lad, we didn`t really Celebrate xmas ' it was all about nye.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, can't see the point mi'sen

I mean, why not move the calendar back (or is it forward) 10 days?

so the new year would start the day after the winter solstice, and midsummer would really be mid summer

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Glad it's not just me … 'tis a night just like any other.

Bregante

always a massive anti climax. it's now the night that we take the xmas deccies down. nowt sadder than xmas deccies in january 😉

cassin
    Free Member

The last few years we have just sat in, sad as it may seem. But having to pay to go into your local for an overpriced pint. Or being crushed on the underground looses its appeal after the 1st time. Stay in with the family watch it all on the telly. Hooternanny, fireworks and a glass of the hard stuff with the family cant beet it !

thejesmonddingo

Went out for a meal yesterday evening with wife and daughter,then home and to bed at 21:00,don't like New Year at all,when I was a lad in Barnsley,Christmas eve = drink and merriment,New Year's Eve = drink and fighting.
    Ian

Spud

An excuse for a quiet night for us, cooked my wife a meal then dozed off before Hootenanny – darn, there's always iPlayer. On-call today so couldn't have too much anyway.

Have a great 2010 all!

ton

Hootenanny was good last night….
    Tom Jones was awesome…
    Paulo Nutini was very good..
    the ginger bird and her machine were pish……
    and i love Ruby Turner……………………… 8)

robgarrioch

Had a different one ourselves too – usually up in Gairloch but did all our travelling last week. Went up on '1 Tree Hill' in the Pentlands to watch the Castle fireworks – this kinda view;

(photostream)
    Incredibly moonlit night, so we had half an hour sledging on the way back down. 1 can of Best + sups of Glen Livet from the hip flask. Best one for years.
    Only regret not filming the fireworks, though we were 5 miles away… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘new years eve………big issue or not.’ is closed to new replies.