Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New Wheels Thoughts on Hope v DT & Actionsports.de Experiences
  • johnjn2000

I have been having a few challenges nailing down a new set of wheels for a number of reasons but think I am almost there now. Thanks to someone else’s topic recently I found Action Sports custom wheel build service and started configuring a few options. I have narrowed it down to the following:
    Hope Pro4 hub with DT SWISS XM 421 RIM 29″ or DT SWISS XM 481 RIM 29″
    Same rims as above but with the DT Swiss 350 hub

Questions – Any immediate watch outs on either hub or rim choice? And does anyone have real life experience of the Action Sports wheel build service?

Less relevant question but interested in opinions if you have any: Bike colour scheme is going to be Ti frame with blue and red bits and pieces. Would you go full bling on the wheels if it were hope hubs and get the nipples in red and blue? Yes, I am a tart.

timidwheeler

Can’t help with much of that but I have a very recent build of 27.5 EX511 on Hope 4 from Action Sports. I have barely ridden them but delivery was as quoted, as expected and the build was exactly as spec.

So far (and I don’t think the wheels have left the ground) I’m really happy.

As far as bling goes.

I went silver hubs, black spokes, silver nipples and black rims. I thought this would be tasteful but slightly unconventional. Given the chance again I’d probably go black hubs. The silver just seem a bit Raleigh shopper.

johnjn2000

Thanks @timidwheeler what was your reason for choosing the Enduro rim over the AM rim? Are you sticking them on a full on Enduro machine? Only asking as I was considering the EX but just thought it might be a bit overkill for the HT 120.

I am a little concerned about the full on bling of nipples and hubs, it will either work or look shit, it’s an expensive mistake to make 🙂 your option sounds classy but get what you are saying about the silver hubs, I have some at the moment and they look a bit dated.

timidwheeler

Mine are on a 170mm full suss Enduro. They are replacing the stock Rovals it came with, which I had loads of problems with, mostly I suspect, due to me ploughing through big stuff like a biff.

Up until now I really only had two bikes, my road bike and my Enduro so I kept the Enduro lightish.

I’ve now bought the Enduro some saints, 203 rotors front n back and added some big strong wheels.

Obviously I’m now going to need a hard tail to fit the gap.

Tldr

I’m equipping my Enduro to be more DH than XC.

timidwheeler

Not in anyway offensive, but not oozing style either.

tomhoward

For the hubs, I’ve both pro 4s and 350s. If you like clicky hubs get hope, if not, get DT. Functionally they’ve both been perfect for me.

Rim wise, the 421 is 25mm internal the 481 is 30mm internal so tire choice will play a part, ive been running the 401 (22.5mm internal) on my FS ebike and they are still round so no worries on strength for either.

For the bling. Don’t get coloured nipples, as they will be alloy, so will be dogshit. Other than that, go for your life. I tend to pick a hub colour then black everything else, but ymmv.

johnjn2000

@timidwheeler yes, looks understated but nice.

@tomhoward
    thanks for this info. I assume when you say clocks you mean the Hope clicking of the freehub? *edit, I see you changed it* I think it’s the colour options that will swing it in favour of the Hope, which nipples then? I didn’t realise there were different metals on offer, another good tip thank you.

tomhoward

Go for brass ones. They usually come in silver or black

johnjn2000

Almost there now. Brass nipples it is and probably Hope hubs to get the splash of colour, maybe red front and blue back to keep with the colour theme. Looking at the widths that the 30mm internal will manage it seems like the 481 is the one to go for, decent range of tyre widths.
    I am going to Google the next question but will put it out there anyway. Any issue with going boost at the front and non boost at the back? Looking at forks and there are more offers to be had on Boost forks than non boost but the rear cannot be changed to boost.

mariner
    Free Member

I bought XM481s on 240s hubs from AS. Quick delivery if I remember right.
    That was years ago and apart from a several thousand km check over and re-grease they have been bombproof. Still have the original bearings. Freewheel can be a bit loud but not as bad as Hope.
    Clumsy riding has led to some really big hits on waterbars but the rims are still good and hubs keep turning.
    Because of £/€ check out Spokeman Wheels website as he was doing DT Swiss rims and hubs.
    Not the easiest website to find information on so I would just email and ask for a quote to your spec. At least you would have a comparison with AS prices.
    https://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/current-stock/

johnjn2000

Thanks @Mariner will take a look

tomhoward

No problem running boost front and none boost rear. That’s what I have on my deviate.

You can’t run different coloured hubs though. You just can’t.

jimdubleyou

You can’t run different coloured hubs though. You just can’t.

Correct- the bike will buckle along the top tube* if you try to do this .

*or some other bike-killing disaster.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I had a Stans Arch / DT240 rear wheel built by Action Sports. They provided a good service for a good price. The wheel arrived on time.

The wheel was perfectly true. When I checked the spoke tension on a tensionmeter they were all over place, with some relatively high tensions in places. Knowing how sensitive the Stans rims are to overtensioning and cracking, I backed off all the spokes, and retensioned so that the tensions were more even. The wheel is not quite as true but has performed well for 2 years.

joebristol

I wouldn’t be too concerned between the 2 hub choices – both Pro4’s and 350’s are decent. I just went with what was cheaper at the time – went black hubs / black spokes / silver nipples and XM481’s.

The Hope hub is loud – definitely louder than my dt siwss 370 hubs (these are pawls instead of the drive rings on the posher 350) – but perhaps a touch quieter than my Hunt road wheelset.

Built them myself and so far so good – and they’ve had quite a lot of rocky riding and uplift days. On a 170f/r160mm enduro type bike.

Personally I don’t like loads of anodised bling parts – feels too late 90’s for me. But whatever floats your boat as it’s purely personal preference and we’re all different – otherwise life would be boring!

johnjn2000

Ok so same colour hubs as I don’t want the bike to explode. I am starting to go off the idea of the Hope hubs if they are as loud as suggested….

481 rim it is, black spoke, silver nipple, arghhhhhhh can’t decide on the hub, if the DT swiss came in colours i would be all over it

duncancallum

I went full DT….

timidwheeler

My Hope 4 hub isn’t excessively loud. I know they have a reputation but I can’t say it has bothered me in the slightest.

johnjn2000

OK, this is driving me mad now. Chucking my money at something shouldn’t be this hard 🙂

joebristol

It’s not hard, just order them!

johnjn2000

It’s going to be DT hubs, I have made my decision……………I think

johnw1984
    Free Member

Like the look of Hope, but like the ratchet system on the DT Swiss. I’d go for DT having had both over the years.

tomhoward

You can get decals for DT hubs too, if you are desperate for colour

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had a pair of 511s on 240s with black brass nipples built by action sports 12 months ago and they’ve been spot on. Delivery was less than a week from memory.

Ran pro 4s prior to the 240s, I used to enjoy the buzz of the hopes but much prefer the almost silent 240s in comparison.

The thought of mismatching hub colours has given me indigestion though.

johnjn2000

Thanks for the info @bluearsedfly. You can throw away your Rennies I have been convinced that mismatching hub colours will make my bike implode

vmgscot

I had bog standard DT 240 with 471 rims 2 years ago from Actionsports and still not had to touch them yet. That includes 2 roadtrips now through parts of USA (bike parks, Moab, Tahoe … you get the idea) so I can recommend their builds.

johnjn2000

The buy button has been pressed.
    DT350 hubs
    Black spokes
    Silver brass nipples
    481 Rim

Thanks for all the advice. Now I need a set of forks……..

johnjn2000

Thought I would post an update for anyone interested in the original topic. My experience so far with ActionSports.DE has been great. A few back and forth emails when speccing the nipples were very helpful and then when I realised I had made a major cock up on the end caps (very noticeable as the wheel wouldn’t fit in my fork) they have helped me out to fix it in a cost effective way.

Still haven’t completed the build as having trouble sourcing a particular bit for the rear mech so no ride report available yet.

dakuan
    Free Member

ah! I am also in the market for a new set of wheels, anyone know the lead times for these outfits? (Moonglu, ActionSports.de, CRC)

dakuan
    Free Member

FWIW I’ll be getting hope wheels as they are good at making widgets to allow them to keep up with all the changing standards. also the clicking. i like that

johnjn2000

Lead time was 9 days I think for my DT Swiss wheels from Actionsports

tomaso
    Free Member

Action sports built me a set of wheels that lasted 4 bikes and are still going strong. DR XM481 and 350 hubs are a great combo,

I have always found hope hubs things of beauty and it’s great to buy British, but the freehub bearings just crap themselves and screw everything. Perhaps Lakeland bogs are too much, but Hope are a northern company and should be built to suit. Instead of unpredictable failures, DT 350 hubs have just kept going with bearings needed only after 2 years not 5 months.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New Wheels Thoughts on Hope v DT & Actionsports.de Experiences’ is closed to new replies.