Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New, well secondhand, Apple computer decision
  • keppoch

I currently have a 20″ 2007 iMac which has kind of had its day, I did buy a SSD to put in it but I have not got round to it and think I might as well buy something newer instead to benefit from a better processor and more RAM (not sure how much mine has but I know I did top it up to the maximum).

I want an Apple because I like using it though I know a Windows PC would be cheaper (like the one I am typing this on at work). And I know I want a secondhand one because I don’t need anything super fast for my needs (browsing, photos, music, STW) and I don’t want to spend the sort of money that would mean I procrastinate and don’t actually buy it!

The current iMac is on a desk but I want to move the computer to a smaller desk where I will also work from home on my work laptop sometimes meaning space on the desk is at a premium. I have never felt the need to move my iMac around as I have a work laptop too but I guess portability might prove useful. My choices are therefore:

iMac: Familiar, good to work on but takes up desk space and can’t be used with laptop, probably quite expensive.

Mac Mini: Smaller and probably quite reasonable to buy, means I have to buy a monitor but I can then use that monitor with my work laptop when required.

MacBook Air: Seems like a dated design now, small screen, small to store, probably reasonably priced

MacBook: Probably expensive, smallish screen

Has anyone made a similar decision/replacement? Any advice appreciated and clearly I am open to sales of secondhand computers if anyone has one they are looking to move on which is in tidy condition.

jam-bo

i put an SSD in my imac of a similar age. with the right tools it was fairly easy and makes a massive difference although its now getting to the point that the new OS releases aren’t compatible.

Duane…
    Free Member

MacBook Pro?

zilog6128

As above, if you actually have the SSD I would try it. I have a 2009 MBP with an SSD which is still used daily for basic tasks.

Do you even need a computer at all for what you want to do? Barely use mine at home since getting an iPad Pro. Otherwise Mac Minis are great IMO, if you can get one for a decent price.

jimdubleyou

I sold my similar vintage iMac to my brother in law (where it’s still working for him) to get a basic 2012 Mac Mini.

The 2012 mac Mini is the sweet spot for upgrade-ability.

Less than an hour to add an SSD (there is room for two drives) and max the memory (I think 16GB is the max) and it’s good as gold running the latest OS. If you back up to time machine before you do that it’s similarly easy to restore.

I’ve also got a cinema display so that’s an easy Mini-display port plug into the mini or my work laptop when I’m WFH (you can plug another monitor into the HDMI port of the mini if you want to have multiple screens).

nerd
    Free Member

Macs are cheaper here, they can rival 2nd hand eBay prices and you get a full Apple warranty:
    https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/

keppoch

Thanks all, really useful advice on the 2012 MacMini, likely to be cheaper and I can put the SSD I bought in it.

The iMac upgrade might work but I think it is likely to only last a little while longer due to the OS upgrade issues mentioned. I have all the tools ready but think I may get round to buying a new computer faster!

I’ve been raised on computers so trying to use an iPad instead will frustrate me. They have their limits and although I am not a power user I will want to do things that I know how to do easily on a computer that may or may not be possible on an iPad as well as installing software.

I’m sure a MacBook Pro would be lovely but it seems like a luxury solution to a budget issue!

Any Mac Mini 2012 sales offers considered!

involver
    Free Member

I’d try putting the SSD in. Might increase the resale value if you decide you don’t want it anymore too.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2133+and+2210+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1008

keppoch

Might increased the resale value…. but I’d probably do better to sell a mint condition boxed SSD with receipt on Ebay separately to the iMac.

Or put it in a newer computer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New, well secondhand, Apple computer decision’ is closed to new replies.