Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • New walking boots – Not Meindl!!
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Had my first pair of Meindl Burma boots for 12 years no problem, replacement pair of Burma pro’s lasted 12 months then started leaking water in toe area, these were replaced FOC and the replacement pair have now started leaking after 24 months. These have been treated as per their instructions, so I’ve now lost faith in the brand.

Your view on sub £200 hill walking boots that will last longer than 2 years please.

Thanks!

winston
    Free Member

Lowa.

Marin
    Free Member

Go Outdoors cex? Cox? Own brand something like that. About £90. I bought them for a 4 week trip and 14 months later still going strong. Really surprised me.

johnners
    Free Member

Altberg.

Keva
    Free Member

Can’t help I’m afraid ’cause I’ve had Meindl’s for 14yrs and never had a problem. On my second pair and they’re lovely 🙂

peekay

The best quality and most comfortable boots that i have ever had are a pair of Lowa Elite desert boots. Suede/fabric so may not be as watertight as you would want for UK hill walking, but as they are so comfy I put up with the occasional dampness. Various sizes on eBay.
    I’ve had a few pairs of Altberg boots in the past – various models but good quality and UK made. Used to be able to try them on at the factory and have them customised as required. If I was wanting some general use walking boots now, if probably look at these.
    Clearing out the loft at the weekend I found a pair of Scarpa SL (sized UK 9 or 9.5) that I bought in 2004, wore on one trip to Scotland before realising they were too large for me. Let me know if interested.

Sui
    Free Member

peekay

Subscriber
    The best quality and most comfortable boots that i have ever had are a pair of Lowa Elite desert boots.

Having used these in anger, i can confirm they are an awesome boot that doesnt’t fall apart (like Meindles do at the most un-opportune moment). Even better than Altbergs which are also awesome..

However – not waterproof in the slightest..

benp1

Have a look for some unlined leather boots, then treat them properly. Do they still make Borneos?

No membrane to fail and designed to be waterproof

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just spoken to Meindl UK and they’re prepared to have a look at them even though 2 years old, so I’ll give it a shot.
    Think I’ll still get another back up pair.

Thanks for the advice but they do need to be waterproof.

RicB

I’ve had two pairs of Mammut leather boots and they’ve been superb.

I think the company had a wobble when production was moved to Romania for a bit (my Dad bought a pair which weren’t great) but that was all sorted when I bought my second pair, which are still superb after 9 years.

I’ll probably buy lighter synthetic fabric ones next time, as I don’t seem to do as much ‘proper’ walking as I used to.

geomickb
    Free Member

I like my Scarpa Deltas.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lowa Renegade mid work for me. Comfortable right from the box. Had some in 90s and nowties, quality still spot on.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have Keen (old model) which is very comfortable but not very good grip on wet rocks.

Rather similar to this one.

The newer models are better.

bobbyspangles

altberg.

MoreCashThanDash

Watching with interest, need some new boots and was thinking of synthetic waterproof ones but open to other ideas

ElShalimo

Altberg and Lowa are good options.

Check our Boreal too

Inbred456
    Free Member

Check out Asolo boots. Excellent quality.

BadlyWiredDog

Two things: the guys who bring in Meindl to the UK are sound. Also, the waterproofing on Gore-Tex boots has a lifetime guarantee – the life of the boot – so basically they should be covered no question if the liner is letting water through.

Otherwise you really need to try walking boots for fit, I get on really well with AKU and Hanwag, but my feet are almost certainly a slightly different shape to yours.

rsl1
    Free Member

If you’re getting a replacement pair of meindls for free, try going up half a size. Apparently it’s very common for gore tex liners in any shoe to wear through at the toe due to rubbing if they fit too snugly – you need a good chunk of room in front of your toe ideally.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Good advice, keep nails trimmed also.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Good advice but I’ve already gone up a size and there’s plenty of room in my toe box.
    TBF the distributor is really helpful.

slowoldman

I’m a serial Scarpa buyer – Currently SLs and Manta M4s. Just checked and blimey they are price now!!

benp1

Seriously, unlined leather boots are waterproof. Lined ones are waterproof and sweaty, and then the lining fails and as the boot as been designed around a lining they fail too

Unlined boots (e.g. Scarpa SL, but too heavy for what you need) are designed with being unlined in mind so one piece of leather, not nubuck leather, full grain leather, much more waterproof and less seams. they’re then treated with wax or conditioning. They are as waterproof as normal boots, but the demand from the general public is low, they believe that a lining is necessary

Shame really, my next pair of proper walking boots will be unlined leather, but I’m hoping I won’t need any for a while

RustyNissanPrairie

Haix – I had a military boot fetish for awhile and had some Altbergs, Meindl desert fox and old original Brasher supalites.

I got rid of all of them when I got the first pair of Haix. The Altbergs in particular felt like wearing wooden clogs in comparison and the desert foxes were just utter crap. Now have them in desert (suede non goretex), high liability (goretex) and cold&wet weather (gore & thinsulate).

Clever dual zone lacing system, far grippier sole than Vibram, comfy and supportive. The Haix care cream is available on Amazon.

Lots of new unissued pairs on eBay. Have done Snowdon twice in the hi liability and usual 12-13mile hikes with the dog in comfort.

Futureboy77

Zamberlan boots fit my feet well. I have two pairs of the Vioz plus model that are a good few years old and still in good shape. Uttings outdoors usually have a deal on them.

db

Meindl Bernina 2 work for me. No waterproof liner but very waterproof. Seem to be lasting well and plenty room in the comfort fit. My feet don’t get on with the altbergs.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Had the same problem as the op with regards to my Meindl boots. First pair lasted under 12 months, the soles basically came apart from the uppers. Contacted the importers (who were great to deal with btw) and after sending the boots to them (who forwarded them to Meindl in Germany to inspect) was given a new pair foc. Unfortunately these went the same way, even though I followed the care instructions to the letter. Lost faith in the company and purchased a pair of Lowa three years ago that have been faultless.

lunge

I’ve got a lovely pair of Zamberlan boots that have lasted well. Would buy again if they died.

Alpha1653

I wear Lowa Elite Light boots daily and they’re bloody brilliant. Lightweight like the renowned Altberg Sneaker but with a full leather tongue so properly watertight. Fantastic boots that feel like slippers.

Or for heavier duty/colder weather/more robustness look at the Aku Pilgrim GTX.

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm Meindle… I had a pair that fell apart. The mid sole collapsed and the outer sole completely delaminated. They were returned to Germany but were rejected as faulty. I’ve had many, many other boots (Zamberlan, Koflach, Salewa, Scarpa, Asolo, La Sportiva, Salomon, Brasher etc) and these were the only ones that have fallen apart. IME, they are fantastically waterproof and comfy from the off – right up until they fall apart. So beware, they are brilliant, they just may not last as long as you think a £200 boot should.

As for Gore Tex vs non Gore Tex. I’ve never had a boot without a liner that didn’t leak – eventually (i.e. after full day’s bog trotting not over time). When multi day backpacking, I use Gore lined leather, for 3 season day walks, trainers (of various flavour) and just get wet (of add Gore Tex socks).

mashr

the guys who bring in Meindl to the UK are sound.

Not sure why it really matters, but so are the Lowa folks

willard

I have always gone for Aku, but mainly because they fit my feet and have lasted well. I think the first pair lasted for something like 10 years and the second has lasted three so far, including a bunch of tramping around SENTA.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scarpa Delta, but only use them if it’s off path hoofing, for Rocky stuff then I always wear goretex trail running shoes, so much lighter.

BadlyWiredDog

Not sure why it really matters, but so are the Lowa folks

I’m just saying that it’s worth following up on the waterproofing thing, which the OP has done, knowing that you won’t get arbitrarily fobbed off.

The best thing you can do is simply go to an outdoors shop which sells a load of different brands and try lots on. There are plenty of quality boot-makers out there, it’s just a question of finding the one that matches your feet best. If you have really odd, unusual feet it’s more difficult – Hanwag does a number of boots designed for bunion sufferers, Altberg does custom fits at considerable expense – but you may be able to get boots modified and even stretched strategically by a good boot fitter.

matt10214
    Free Member

I walk 50-60 miles a week and wear Brasher Hillwalker.

kneed

I wore out a set of Brasher Hillwakers (been round the world a few times!) and replaced them with the new version : the quality of which are terrible in comparison. Basically I wouldnt buy another modern Brasher.

I think you need to try boots on: and take it from there. Personally: Scapra are my current favourite replacements along with a pair of Berghaus fabic for warmer climes.

boblo
    Free Member

Same here. Had a couple of pairs of original Hillmasters which were ace then they moved production to Portugal or Romania or some such and they were rubbish in comparison.

mulacs

Scarpa

jezzep

Grisport avenger boots. Still made in Italy and the whole family wears them. Wife’s first pair about 8 years old still yet to fail, even though the soles are long gone….

JeZ

prettygreenparrot

My Meindl boots fell apart after some good use. Though there was plenty of grip left and they didn’t leak.

I went for a pair of Anatom boots after thinking Meindl were too expensive and not finding a pair of Zamberlan boots that felt comfortable.

The Anatoms fit well, seem waterproof so far, and have a simple, classic design.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New walking boots – Not Meindl!!’ is closed to new replies.