Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • New walking boots – Not Meindl!!
  • Wally

My Meindl boots were comfy for a half marathon I found myself running in.

smudgey
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Altberg boots and they absolutely crippled me, that’s despite being fitted for them properly. A crease developed over the front of the boot and then crushed my foot. It was like having a knife jabbed my foot absolute agony. The retailer actually refunded me the £170.00.
    I’ve got Hi Tec and Berghaus boots at the moment and they are miles better than Altberg.
    Non of them last now, I think 2 years is standard. Just go to either Go outdoors or Cotswold and see what fits you.

ransos
    Free Member

Hmmm Meindle… I had a pair that fell apart. The mid sole collapsed and the outer sole completely delaminated.

Mine did that at around fifteen years old. They went back to the factory to be resoled and are as good as new.

cobrakai

I bought Meindle at the recommendation of my BiL. Absolutely bullet proof but the soles were like walking in clogs. Fine for soft ground with gaiters on though.

For all round use I bought Salomon GTX high boots. So comfortable and great ankle support which I need. I know they won’t last as long but I need comfort. It’s been a year now of long muddy dog walks, with peak district holidays throw in and my feet have been bone dry.

Can’t recommend them enough.

endoverend

Bought some AKU SuperAlps this summer, most comfortable boots I’ve ever had, look to be great quality too. Not a brand I knew much about before as have always had Scarpa, Asolo, Salomon, glad I found these as the last suits my footshape perfectly. They suit a slim low volume foot, neat at the heel but with roomy enough toe box – good weight, excellent support, only boots I’ve found recently that I can wear all day and not shred my heels like all of the others above…bought from the Keswick Boot Company who were excellent.

mattbee

I’ve had a pair of Salomon GTX for 6 years now, really comfy and waterproof although sole is a little flexible.
    AKU (& indeed the Solomon) were really popular with ‘Them’, mate who’s a stores sergeant was regularly getting them in, it was his recommendation that made me get the Salomons.
    My winter boots are a pair of Raichle, although I believe they are now owned by/branded as Mammut. Good stuff soles, hard wearing uppers and will take a crampon if needs be bit they are overkill for low level hiking/walking really.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Replacement pair of Meindl Burma Pros arrived – so again excellent customer service from Bramwell International and Meindl.
    Hope these last longer than the last two pairs!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My wife and a mate have both had Scarpa Terra 2’s for the last couple of years and had no issues with them and they’re still going strong and had good workouts in the Lakes and Peak District so when, last week, I wanted to get some new boots I looked at Scarpa Delta GTX’s. I was a bit sceptical at first as Scarpa’s seem to have a reputation for a narrow fit and I’ve got quite wide feet, but they fit like a glove. Not used them in anger yet but off to the Lakes next weekend so they’ll get a good workout then. They came in at around the £200 mark from Go Outdoors. Only ever had cheap sub £100 walking boots before and to be fair they’ve always done me well, but on wet boggy day’s do show their limitations so will be interesting to see how I get on with a more expensive boot.

mrb123
    Free Member

Scarpa Deltas for me too. Had the Scarpa Rangers before but the Deltas are definitely a few levels above in terms of quality and comfort.

Also have some Asolo B2 boots that have been good.

BadlyWiredDog

I was a bit sceptical at first as Scarpa’s seem to have a reputation for a narrow fit

That’s odd, generally I’d say Scarpa has a reputation for being medium to high volume and quite wide.

Farticus

I have a 20 year old pair of Brashers going strong …. but some new ones fell apart in a couple of years as did my wife’s new Brashers. Altbergs work for me now.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New walking boots – Not Meindl!!’ is closed to new replies.