Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new to tubeless , sidewall hole repair ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As title im new to tubeless,so be gentle, all was well until 3 miles , yes 3 miles into the ride , i went over a stony section and within 30 seconds i could feel id punctured, stopped and i could see the sealant bubbling out the sidewall , the cut /hole is only a few mm but the sealant couldn’t do anything and eventually i ended up walking back to the car 🙁 .
    so as im a tubeless newbie, can the sidewall be repaired and whats the best sealant as the one i used didn’t really do a lot apart from making bubbles !
    cheers in advance
    edit , the tyres a WTB trail blaster TCS,Only got a 100 miles on it so dont really want to bin it

smokey_jo

If it was me – and I haven’t tried this yet – I’d try superglue to keep the 2 sides of the split together and then a patch of sugru on the inside of the tyre at the split.

If that didn’t work then a stitch or two of fishing twine.

sandwicheater

These little things can help patch up small holes that can’t be sorted by the sealant;

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genuine-Innovations-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit_36319.htm?sku=86726&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=COTJnODT09ICFcQp0wodr_0MXg

Not had to use one yet but handy to have. Worth carry a spare tube as well, just in case.

jonnyboi

the tyre worms are great for larger holes and the like, sometimes they struggle on sidewall cuts. I’ve ended up putting a patch on the inside

nedrapier

yup, patch on the inside should be fine for a couple of mm. Any bigger and you can stitch them up then patch. I’ve used dental floss rather than fishing twine. No idea if one’s better, but they both work, it seems.

Start and finish on the outside of the tyre so the inside is tidy, patch over the top of the stitches on the inside as if you’re doing a normal tube repair.

mccraque

Weldtite or Tiptop tubeless patches are fantastic.

andyl
    Free Member

You need to carry an emergency inner tube with you for a major tubeless failure.

Then repair the tyre when you can.

control67
    Free Member

I holed the side of a Maxxis ikon on some fencing wire and just cleaned up the inside of the tyre and patched from the inside. It held up fine until I swapped the tyres out, even surviving a swap from front to rear.

thekettle
    Free Member

I’ve successfully used Seam Grip glue on torn tyres, including where the hole is too close to the bead for a patch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new to tubeless , sidewall hole repair ?’ is closed to new replies.